Taxidermist? Prices?

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have never used a taxidermist so I'm not all that sure how the process works. Or how much it will cost to have a hog done. Since I'm getting close to # 1000 I have a few questions.

One how much does it cost?

Two how long before the hog is to dead if its a big one and won't fit in a cooler?

Three do you pay up front? If so I may have to wait to kill # 1000

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The head or the whole stripped piglet?

Cape like a deer and freeze for however long you want or ice it and take to the Taxi. Prices here would not help you.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
If a piglet would be a full body. But when I get to 999 I will start waiting for a big boar.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Don't lose count...LOL I hope it is a giant!

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
would suck to be off by 1.

"look at this giant 300 pounder, this is the greatest number 1000"

"damn, where did that spare piglet come from, crap i think that 20 pounder is number 1000"

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Pick the biggest out of the batch shot that night and be done with it!

ppapago

Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
This guy (which y'all have seen before) cost $450. Flagg Taxidermy off Harry Hines kinda near Love Field. They do all my taxidermy work.

http://www.theflagggroupinc.com/pricingamerican.html

A2F78DB9-F416-4A97-8254-CDC8F2C4A59B-17158-000014FC28F27254_zps9b7a536d.jpg

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

ppapago

Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
You should also know that taxidermy work takes a loooong time. It is not uncommon to have to wait 6-8 months to get the mount back.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
You should also know that taxidermy work takes a loooong time. It is not uncommon to have to wait 6-8 months to get the mount back.
Meh that's nothing after dealing with the NFA branch.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I am in luck, sort-of, the wife will not allow it on the wall so If I get one I will do a euro mount, much cheaper and can sit on the closet shelf like this one.

Attachments

• ram.JPG
    ram.JPG
    95.6 KB · Views: 3

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I did my own euro mount of my first large hog with cutters. He was only 220 lbs but seemed huge at the time!

EGarza04

El Sauz, TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
This gut is out of Pearsall, TX: http://www.thetexascreek.com. I have seen his work as well as seen him during his work and he does a very good job. If memory serves, I believe he requires half up front and the other half when you pick it up. It generally takes him almost a full 12 months to shoulder mount a deer but it is only because of the amount of work he has lined up. If I ever get anything shoulder mounted it will likely go to him.

http://www.hiblertaxidermy.com is another good place out of Kingsville, but they are pricey. My wife has a full body bobcat that ran her dad around $1500 but it is one of the better taxidermy jobs I've seen on a bobcat. I may be able to get a picture posted on Saturday if you want to see it.

Colby

Central Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
We killed a big boar about a year ago. I think it was 550. Paid half at drop off and half when we picked it up. Cape it just like a deer but its a pain with that shield

Aspp

Central California
SUS VENATOR CLUB
If you want top of the line, Animal Artistry in Reno is the best (in my opinion), at the very least they are top 3 world wide. They did all of my parents African game and it is GOOD. If your doing a full body I would go there, otherwise I would find someone local to do a shoulder mount, AA is 12-16 months out usually and has a few zeros behind the number...

Looks like this:
IMG_20130526_165118_583_zpsa97d88b9.jpg

ppapago

Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
We killed a big boar about a year ago. I think it was 550. Paid half at drop off and half when we picked it up. Cape it just like a deer but its a pain with that shield

You ain't kidding. That hog I got mounted was a major pain to cape. Took me over an hour to do compared to a deer which I can cape and quarter in less than 20mins.