So I'm starting a new project

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well the time has come to finally buy my first suppressor. As I started looking around I couldn't decide on what I wanted to suppress first. I have always wanted a suppressor for my .22 but I also want one for my 338 spectre. Well I have made the decission. I'm dropping my Rossi 92 357 magnum lever action off at the gunsmith this week to be threaded. I will lose one round in its capacity because the mag tube will have to be cut back but that's ok. So now I need to figure out what suppressor I am going to get. Everything I have read says to go with a 9mm suppressor that is full auto rated because it could probably hold up to the 357 loads but I doubt I'll shoot a 357 through the suppressor. It's mostly for shooting 38's. Now I don't own a 9mm pistol but I do have a .40 I would like to get a threaded battle for so I'm leaning towards a suppressor for that which I can also use on the 38's. Any suggestions? When I get the rifle back I'll start posting pictures of it. Hopefully they can do it quickly. Then the next step is the suppressor. My only problem is I know once I get the first one I will want to suppress everything else I have as well.

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
with all the calibers you have I am sure it was a tough decision...mine is easy...22, 7.62, that will cover the 6.8 and 308

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
.30 can will cover the .357 also but not the 40

Shooter

Bedford, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Be VERY careful what can or QD attachment you pick. I as speaking from a 600$ bobo. I put a 5.56 QD attachment on a 6.8 barrel and blew a AAC 7.62 can off the gun. Fortunately AAC replaced the can for half price and sent the correct QD, but it cost me a new NFA wait and the 200 bills and I had to send a letter to NFA that the other can was destroyed. All my fault as I had a brain fart !!!!!!!! If I had any question I would call or email the can manufacturer.

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
.30 can will cover the .357 also but not the 40

I would be careful with this. Not all .308 cans will allow a .357 bullet to go through the bore. I highly suggest you contact the manufacturer of the can you are interested in before buying it. Explain what calibers you wish to suppress and see what they suggest. 9mm, 357, 38 most of the time can be shot through a 9mm, 40, or 45 caliber suppressor that is full auto rated.

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have emailed a few manufacturers and I'm starting to wonder what the point is. I get the same answer from all of them. "We can't reccomend shooting a 38 through a 9mm suppressor as it's not designed for that. Only shoot 9mm through a 9mm scope". And so on and so on. It's all the legal BS because they don't want to responsible for any mishaps

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
My only other option is once the rifle is threaded to test it somewhere. I know someone with a 45 suppressor I could test on it. Might be a good place to start

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
So I just got off the phone with an gunsmith here in town and he said he wouldn't take on the job of threading the barrel on my lever action. He said the barrel isn't thick enough to be able to thread for a suppressor. Any suggestions on this?

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Gonna have to choose another weapon

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
But I don't wanna lol. A suppressed 38 would be too much fun to pass on

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
yeah 9mm is better, never even thought of a 38

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
But I don't have a 9mm lever action. Maybe I should just stick with suppressing the 338 spectre and skip the lever action

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
yeah, get a 9mm glock w a threaded barrel and the kit making it into a 9mm carbine with a suppressor.

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
But then I have to own a glock

EGarza04

El Sauz, TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Can he not thread the current barrel to something else smaller, machine a thread adapter with a backstop and the larger thread pattern needed and either pin, solder, or permanently attach it to the current barrel?

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Hey they shoot well and are rugged! I went to the 44mag for a carbine as the 357 is just too light.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Can he not thread the current barrel to something else smaller, machine a thread adapter with a backstop and the larger thread pattern needed and either pin, solder, or permanently attach it to the current barrel?
H changed his .223 from 1/2"x 28 to 5/8" x 24 because of the improvement in accuracy he found when he left more meat on the muzzle. He ended up opting to go back to the 1/2" x 28 after the mall-ninja types whined too much. They'd rather have their favorite muzzle device instead of the improved accuracy. Harmonics... can be a funny thing.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Almost makes ya feel like ya need a shower after uttering that, huh? LOL
Are there enough showers after uttering that?

I have been looking it up and there are quite a few people that have threaded the barrel on a Rossi 92 in 357. I was hoping it would work so I could try the same thing on my Rossi in 454 casull. It would be fun to shoot 45 colt suppressed. As of right now I'm looking at the octane 45 suppressor. It would work for all of the above

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
45 long colt has a .451-.452 diameter bullet. Typical 45 caliber threads are .578x28. I don't have my Machinist Handbook with me right now, but I'm guessing the external minor diameter of the threads is .520-.525. .520-.450=.070 .070/2=.035. That means the barrel will have a .035 wall thickness. This is thin. If a muzzle device or suppressor wi) always be attached then some support will be provided and isn't a huge concern. It's pretty typical for a 45 cal barrel to have thin threads. If the OD of the barrel is big enough and you get a 45 octane have your smith thread it to 5/8-24. The octane has a fixed barrel 5/8-24 adapter. I think your smith will be more willing to do this because it has a lot more meat left after threading. I hope this helps.