Sightmark Photon Inexpensive Digital NV

Hard_ware

Here piggy piggy! Deep Deep S. TX.
Like I've said before I was set on adding a pulsar to my arsenal just for the video option. But all it took to convince me not to was going hunting with two guys using them. We sat in the center of a big open field all night. I watched as they scanned with their rifles on shooting sticks. The beams from their Ir illuminators crossing back and forth I would spot a target with no illuminator and call it out. Watching them struggle to find the animal was just a turn off. I guess if you have never used any kind of night vision or you just plan on hunting from a stand watching a feeder then they will be ok, stalking or covering any type of area is out of the question though. I would save my money and find a blemished tube before getting one. But that's just me and I'm spoiled now. Four years ago I would have bought a photon been happy as could be and never known what I was missing.

For detecting I don't think that is the way to go, but for someone that is tagging along with someone that has thermal and gen3 it will definately get them in the game for not alot of $$$$.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
For detecting I don't think that is the way to go, but for someone that is tagging along with someone that has thermal and gen3 it will definately get them in the game for not alot of $$$$.

My concern there is them having to use a bright IR illuminator and blinding you with it.

Hard_ware

Here piggy piggy! Deep Deep S. TX.
I shoot with thermal so no blinding me :D

With a pvs the gain would need to be turned down.

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
Like I've said before I was set on adding a pulsar to my arsenal just for the video option. But all it took to convince me not to was going hunting with two guys using them. We sat in the center of a big open field all night. I watched as they scanned with their rifles on shooting sticks. The beams from their Ir illuminators crossing back and forth I would spot a target with no illuminator and call it out. Watching them struggle to find the animal was just a turn off. I guess if you have never used any kind of night vision or you just plan on hunting from a stand watching a feeder then they will be ok, stalking or covering any type of area is out of the question though. I would save my money and find a blemished tube before getting one. But that's just me and I'm spoiled now. Four years ago I would have bought a photon been happy as could be and never known what I was missing.

I have both the N750 and PVS-14/Eotech setup. My PVS-14 is top of line resolution with a Pinnacle tube. Some say the Pinnacle tube is only rated for 5.56 caliber, the dealer I got it from with a 5 year warranty said he uses on a .308 and will warranty as such. Of course with a thin filmed tube, I am not taking a chance, the most it has been on is a 6.8 which recoils not much more than my .223 Wylde shooting 64gr pills.

Of course the PVS-14 is a true Gen 3 setup and therefore observes better than my N750, but I have to say, I use my N750 more than my PVS-14 setup because I can record from it. You are right Todd that when you mix shooters using PVS-14's and Pulsars there is going to be some wash, but I have no problem viewing and finding targets with my N750 versus my PV-14.

My N750 at 4.5x with a built in doubler is a big advantage in my eyes. Of course it is a digital doubler and therefore you use resolution, but works plenty well for shooting.

I think we had the conversation before and why you considered it, you would view with the PVS-14 mounted on the helmet for viewing and walking, then use the N750 for shooting and recording. Of course now that you can use the thermal, obviously a much better option.

Ok, so that is my thoughts and looking at this Sightmark is a great option. I may have to get one just for 'the heck of it'. Yes I have the PVS and N750 setups, but for $599 it is a great option.

I seen them on ebay at $599 with the option of 'make an offer':

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sightmark-P...076?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35d09a9fd4

also, I noticed a 3.5x version for $499, now we are getting in to the 'can't beat for the price':

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sightmark-P...731?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a8a67c573

Dave.