Sightmark Photon Inexpensive Digital NV

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

http://main.yukonopticsglobal.com/product-overview-photon-5x42.html

A contact of mine on another forum keeps posting on these. They were shown at the Shot Show and supposed to be out in 30 days or so from then...now ancient history, but not it looks like this Fall, though August was in the timeline apparently at one one. We shall see.

To somewhat borrow another person's description, marketwise it is apparently a $600 digital NV scope that is essentially a slimmed down, toned up, improved Pulsar N550, but at less than half the cost.

Assuming the product works as claimed and can handle recoil to just over .308, then about the only then I don't like about it is that the video out is forward of the reticle which means you can't see where the shooter is aiming in the videos made. It is a minor point. The onboard IR is a tad on the weak side as well, but functional enough, it would appear, out to 200 yards.

I figure that for $600, they can go on guest rifles at least.

Any thoughts on these?

hdfireman

Blackstone Arms
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The digital NV is not even in the same ballpark as Gen 3 but I understand the the low cost is what a lot of people are interested in. If digital is all that you're willing/able to pay for then it is your best choice. My opinion is save penny's and get something gen 3, you'll be glad you did.

Brian, if you can talk to that contact and try to get one or a pulsar for the shoot at your place. I think it would be really good for people to see the difference.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
He shoots with a pulsar so there will be one there to compare. It's going to be a dark night also.

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Can you even buy them in the states? All I see is uk sites. Looks like it might be a good scope for my spare rifles

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yeah, if I am going to buy a Gen III .308 or better capable scope, then I am going ahead to buy a thermal and stop wasting my time, LOL.

All in all, I am not that impressed with my Puslar except for the fact of what I can do with it given what it cost me. It is bulky and not very ergonomic. However, it works well for my needs. That comes down to bottom line economics or value for the buck more so than just simple cost.

Are the the Photons available in the US? As I noted, they were supposed to be out early this year according to the folks at the Shot Show. That didn't happen. Now they are saying August or "Fall" but that is yet to be seen.

This is the Shot Show information. I didn't include it because they really don't include any good details about the scope itself.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yeah, if I am going to buy a Gen III .308 or better capable scope, then I am going ahead to buy a thermal and stop wasting my time, LOL..

While thermal is awesome and I'm saving my pennies for a w1000 a pvs-14 should still be your first but in my opinion. Being able to helmet mount it drive, walk, scan, and weapon mount makes it a versatile tool. The pvs-14 is the cake everything else is the icing.

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I have never owned anything but a ATN ThOR. BUT.......I would say that if you do your homework,a NVD or thermal is like other optics in that you pretty much get what you pay for. --- pruhdlr

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Maybe somebody will knock my socks off with a unit in October. However, such technology isn't in the budget ballpark with the Photon that is a day/night optic. I understand that there is always something better. That goes without saying.

I know it may sound like a stretch given some of the technology exhibited on the forum by members, but it seems prohibitively hard to get others involved with NV and NV purchase decisions when renting NV costs more than renting a car (or used to, and now thermal does) and buying NV alone often costs more, sometimes much more than the rifle and day optic setup folks are already using. They find out the cost and the notion goes away as fast as the appeal of dating one's own sister.

I like alternatives. For now, I will drive my little hatchback until my Veyron comes in... :D

Sure and no offense pruhdlr, my dealings with ATN never went well. Again, it comes down to value, not cost.

Last edited:

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I understand those with money to spend on toys but for me the cost is excessive for thermal and NV over $600. There is no pig worth thousands of dollars when I can kill and have killed and will keep killing with lights. I can see if I had a guide or extermination business, was deployed or just had more money than I needed...but I eat these little suckers and can only eat so many...LOL A $600 digital unit sounds good enough for me looking forward to seeing what comes up. Saying that I do love seeing you guys toys!

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I am very cheap no doubt about it! My newest car is a 1997 ford pickup. My computer has not been upgraded for at least 6 years. And I still wear clothes I had in high school!!!! I wanted night vision for years but just couldn't drop the cash on it. Then I found Ident they provided nv at half of what the others were selling it for. In fact you can thank Ident for the nv prices today they brought them down. But I regress my lovely wife got me my pvs-14 for Christmas-birthday-everything that year. All I can say is I cheated myself all those years. What price does your fun have??? Yes it was expensive but it has been the best single thing I have ever owned. It has opened up more doors for hunting than anything. I bet it paid for itself in lease fees I did not have to pay!

If this is jumbled I typed it while driving my old bumpy truck lol!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
LOL..maybe all I need is a new wife?? Nah, I love this one too much, maybe she will hit the Jackpot!

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Powerball here I come. When I win, night vision for all

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Thank you and custom stickers too?

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
No, stickers are too expensive. You will just have to deal with night vision that doesn't have stickers on it

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
OH NO!! said Mr Bill...LOL

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Getting greedy on us

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well I did win 2 of the contest questions

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
See, so you have your stickers already. You won't need more

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I am very cheap no doubt about it! My newest car is a 1997 ford pickup. My computer has not been upgraded for at least 6 years. And I still wear clothes I had in high school!!!! I wanted night vision for years but just couldn't drop the cash on it. Then I found Ident they provided nv at half of what the others were selling it for. In fact you can thank Ident for the nv prices today they brought them down. But I regress my lovely wife got me my pvs-14 for Christmas-birthday-everything that year. All I can say is I cheated myself all those years. What price does your fun have??? Yes it was expensive but it has been the best single thing I have ever owned. It has opened up more doors for hunting than anything. I bet it paid for itself in lease fees I did not have to pay!

If this is jumbled I typed it while driving my old bumpy truck lol!

LOL My newest vehicle is my '99 Murdersickle. My rigs are a '90 Dakota, an '88 Olds Trofeo, and an '84 Hurst/Olds (I don't even OWN anything with an airbag in it) LOL. My laptop finally got upgraded after six years (when it gave up the ghost last fall). And, if'n I could still fit in the clothes I wore in high school, I'd definitely be wearing them too... well... the ones that are fashionably "timeless" that is. LOL $800/mo in plane ticket to go to/from work every month takes a series hit to my fun money. The desire for awesome optics is there though.

sjb67

Mineral Wells, Texas
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I went to Ident several months ago as a walk in to get a receiver engraved for an SBR. While I was waiting they showed me both NV and Thermal. Started payroll deduction the next day. LOL. It may take me a little bit to get there but am so looking forward to it.