TEXASLAWMAN
Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
RIX LEAP L12R — My Best Bang-for-the-Buck 1280 Thermal
I’ve been using thermal optics for a long time now, and one thing I’ve learned is that the spec sheet does not always tell you which scope you’re actually going to enjoy hunting with.
The RIX LEAP L12R is a good example. On paper, the big number is obviously the 1280×1024 sensor. That’s what grabs everybody’s attention first, and yes, the image is excellent. But honestly, that is not what made me keep grabbing this scope all summer. What won me over was the field of view.
Here in Texas, summer hunting can be a completely different game than winter. The grass gets tall, vegetation gets thick, brush fills in, and a lot of the longer sight lines you have in January just disappear. Also hunting thick country areas like the piney woods of East Texas, or the Thick mesquite in West Texas the extra field of view is a godsend. That means shots tend to get closer. Sometimes a lot closer. When a group of hogs suddenly pops out of thick grass at 30 or 40 yards, having too much magnification can turn into a problem pretty fast. That is where the L12R became one of my favorite scopes.
I don’t want to find one hog and lose the rest of the group because the scope is too tight. I don’t want to fight to find a running animal.
And I definitely don’t want an optic that is perfect at 250 yards but miserable at 25. The L12R gives you a lot of room to work. That wide 2x view was the biggest reason it became my preferred summer thermal.
In the summer, things change. Even wide open field get grass and weeds that are taller than I am, Crops come up. Tree lines thicken. You may only have a small opening before an animal disappears again. That is where I really started appreciating the L12R. I could scan a field or a tree line without feeling like I was looking through a soda straw. If the hogs were close, I was already in a good position. If they were farther out, I still had plenty of magnification available. That is what makes this scope so versatile to me.
If you only hunt wide-open country and everything you shoot is far away, I might tell you to look at something starting around 3x.
If all your hunting is extremely close, you probably don’t need to spend $6,899 on a 1280 thermal in the first place. But if you want one premium optic that can handle a wide range of conditions, the L12R makes a lot of sense.
That 2x field of view works. When the vegetation gets thick and the hogs get close, it gives me room to see what is going on.When the field opens up, I still have plenty of magnification available. That is what made the L12R stand out for me. It didn’t win me over because it had the biggest number on a specification sheet. It won me over because it worked for the way I was actually hunting. And at the end of the day, that matters a lot more to me.
I’ve been using thermal optics for a long time now, and one thing I’ve learned is that the spec sheet does not always tell you which scope you’re actually going to enjoy hunting with.
The RIX LEAP L12R is a good example. On paper, the big number is obviously the 1280×1024 sensor. That’s what grabs everybody’s attention first, and yes, the image is excellent. But honestly, that is not what made me keep grabbing this scope all summer. What won me over was the field of view.
Here in Texas, summer hunting can be a completely different game than winter. The grass gets tall, vegetation gets thick, brush fills in, and a lot of the longer sight lines you have in January just disappear. Also hunting thick country areas like the piney woods of East Texas, or the Thick mesquite in West Texas the extra field of view is a godsend. That means shots tend to get closer. Sometimes a lot closer. When a group of hogs suddenly pops out of thick grass at 30 or 40 yards, having too much magnification can turn into a problem pretty fast. That is where the L12R became one of my favorite scopes.
The 2x View Is What Sold Me
The L12R starts at 2x magnification with a very wide field of view. RIX lists it at 14.6° × 11.7°, which works out to roughly 78 feet of horizontal view at 100 yards. That is a big window. When I’m hunting thick vegetation, I want to be able to see what is happening around the animal.I don’t want to find one hog and lose the rest of the group because the scope is too tight. I don’t want to fight to find a running animal.
And I definitely don’t want an optic that is perfect at 250 yards but miserable at 25. The L12R gives you a lot of room to work. That wide 2x view was the biggest reason it became my preferred summer thermal.
Summer Hunting Changed What I Wanted From a Scope
During the cooler months I may be hunting big open fields where a little more base magnification is great.In the summer, things change. Even wide open field get grass and weeds that are taller than I am, Crops come up. Tree lines thicken. You may only have a small opening before an animal disappears again. That is where I really started appreciating the L12R. I could scan a field or a tree line without feeling like I was looking through a soda straw. If the hogs were close, I was already in a good position. If they were farther out, I still had plenty of magnification available. That is what makes this scope so versatile to me.
The Ocular Zoom Is Different
One of the more interesting features on the LEAP series is what I call the ocular zoom. RIX markets it as optical zoom, but I don’t really describe it like traditional optical zoom because it is not working like a conventional variable day scope with lens groups changing focal length. The lever on the rear actually zooms in on the screen this creates more magnification with less resolution loss than digital magnification. You can move from around 2x up to 6x ocular magnification smoothly, and add digital magnification on top of that if you need it!1280 Resolution Helps When You Start Zooming
The L12R uses a 1280×1024, 12-micron sensor. That is four times the total detector pixels of a 640×512 sensor. That does not mean you automatically see four times more detail. There are a lot of other things involved — lens quality, processing, thermal sensitivity, weather, focus, the display and everything else. But starting with that much resolution gives you a lot more information to work with when you start increasing magnification. That is where 1280 starts making a lot of sense. You are not starting out with a 640 image and immediately chopping it down every time you touch digital zoom. There is simply more resolution available. Combine that with the ocular magnification and it gives the L12R a lot of flexibility.Is the Image as Good as the DBH D12?
No. I’ll just say it. If you ask me which RIX produces the best absolute image, I’m still taking the DBH D12. The D12 has a 75mm lens, starts at 3x, and to my eye the overall image is better. But that doesn’t mean I would automatically pick the D12 every time I leave the house. That is the part people sometimes miss. The D12 gives me the better absolute image. The L12R gives me the wider 2x view. Those are two different advantages. If I’m hunting a big open ranch and expect longer shots, I may lean toward the D12. If I’m heading into thicker country where I might have hogs show up close, I really like the L12R. That is why I don’t see the L12R as a cheaper version of the D12. It is a different tool.High Humidity Performance
Another thing I pay a lot of attention to is humidity. A lot of scopes look great on a cool dry night. The real test for me is what happens when the weather turns ugly. Humidity can absolutely destroy a thermal image. The L12R has done very well for me in those conditions. RIX as a brand tends to hold image quality together better than a lot of what I have used when humidity climbs. I don’t have a laboratory sitting in my backyard, so I am not trying to tell you I ran some scientific humidity test. I didn’t. I am talking about what I see when I am actually hunting. That is the kind of testing that matters to me. If two scopes have almost identical specifications on paper but one of them gives me a cleaner image when the humidity gets bad, I care more about what I see through the eyepiece than what number is printed in the catalog.One Thing I Did Notice
At the same brightness setting, the L12R looks a little darker through the eyepiece to me than some other scopes. My guess is that it may have something to do with the ocular system and the extra glass involved, but that is only my guess. I don’t know that for a fact. You can turn the brightness up and it never stopped me from using the scope, but I noticed it.Built-In LRF and Ballistics
The laser rangefinder is built into the front of the scope. RIX rates it to around 1,312 yards this is for reflective targets. I have been able to range cattle at slightly over 1,000 yards. The thermal detection range is listed at 3,390 yards. Detection range means the thermal can detect a heat source under certain conditions. That does not mean you can positively identify an animal at 3,390 yards. Identification range is a totally separate thing. The ballistic calculator can then use that information along with your rifle data. I don’t personally use ballistic calculators every time I hunt. But they become extremely useful when you start playing with cartridges that have a lot of drop, subsonic ammunition, slower loads, air rifles or longer shots. And I've seen videos of people I know can shoot making some incredible 600-700 yards shots using the ballistic calculator!Controls
The L12R uses a combination of turrets and buttons. Some people are going to love that. Some people are going to prefer a traditional row of buttons. That is just personal preference. I actually like being able to reach up in the dark and feel a physical control rather than trying to remember whether I need to short-press or long-press one of five identical buttons. The ocular zoom lever is easy to find. The front focus control is easy to use. The other turrets handle things like digital zoom, color palettes and menus. It is pretty straightforward once you spend a little time with it.Battery Setup
The L12R has an internal rechargeable battery along with a removable 18650 battery. That gives you the convenience of an internal battery but still lets you carry replacement 18650s. RIX rates the combined runtime at around 6.5 hours, depending on temperature and how you are using the scope. If you are recording constantly, streaming Wi-Fi and running the screen bright, obviously your runtime is going to be different than somebody just sitting there scanning. I do not typically use my scope for spotting so I only turn my scope on when its time to shoot, I typically get three to four nights of battery run time doing it this way.Who I Think This Scope Is For
If somebody calls me and says:The L12R is going to be high on my list. That is probably the simplest way I can describe it. It is a do-a-lot-of-things-well scope.“Todd, I hunt everything from woods to big open fields. Sometimes my shots are 50 yards and sometimes they are 300. I want a premium thermal and I don’t want to feel limited.”
If you only hunt wide-open country and everything you shoot is far away, I might tell you to look at something starting around 3x.
If all your hunting is extremely close, you probably don’t need to spend $6,899 on a 1280 thermal in the first place. But if you want one premium optic that can handle a wide range of conditions, the L12R makes a lot of sense.
My Final Thoughts
The DBH D12 is still my choice if you ask me for the best image I have personally seen. The LEAP L12R is my choice if you ask me for the best combination of 1280 image quality, wide field of view, versatility and price. The big reason I kept using it all summer was simple:That 2x field of view works. When the vegetation gets thick and the hogs get close, it gives me room to see what is going on.When the field opens up, I still have plenty of magnification available. That is what made the L12R stand out for me. It didn’t win me over because it had the biggest number on a specification sheet. It won me over because it worked for the way I was actually hunting. And at the end of the day, that matters a lot more to me.
Watch my RIX LEAP L12R review
RIX LEAP L12R at Huey Outdoors
https://hueyoutdoors.com/product/rix-leap-l12-r-thermal-riflescope/
Last edited: