Oddity In The Sky Last Night

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
A couple of times a year, my church hosts a Friday night movie night, where they set up an outdoor screen/projector in the parking lot. When the sun sets, it's showtime. They give away popcorn, candy, drinks. They give away prizes to the kids, and we use it as an attempt to draw in neighbors to come join the fun and pique their interest in visiting the church on Sunday. The movies are generally Disney films for kids.

My contribution to these events is that I'm part of the "Sheepdog" group. Sadly, in today's day and age, folks gathered at a church are not always safe from predatory types. We're the first line of defense prior to the arrival of the Police if a problem arises. Our church is a few miles north of the heart of downtown Seattle, right next to I-5 (northbound).

During the movie, I glanced up and noticed an oddity in the night sky. The appearance was most easily described as looking at a bicycle chain from above. Two parallel lines of a set of lights, even spaced fore/aft and side/side. I have no reference for size given that the height of this oddity is unknown by me. Many of us saw it and we began to get out our cell phones to snap a pic. I got one shot taken and was zooming in for another, when I was unable to find the oddity on the screen. I moved the phone to find it... it was nowhere to be seen. And, the phone did NOT capture an image when I took the first shot. What I mean is, there is NO record of my having tried to TAKE the pic.

Two things about this leave me scratching my head. Many people saw it, many people saw that it suddenly just was no longer visible. And the fact that my phone failed to function as I was taking the pic also leaves me curious.

One of the gentlemen present showed me a picture of "Star Link Satellites", and suggested this is what we saw. It could partially explain what we all saw, however, the fact that it just suddenly vanished from sight still leaves me curious. Ok, I'll concede that internal/external light sources of this oddity may've suddenly extinguished, making it no longer visible. But, even if that is the case, this could pose a safety hazard for anything sharing that airspace if they ARE navigational beacon type lights. BTW, they were not flashing. I do not recall any sort of pattern of color(s) associated with what I saw either.

Doing a search of Star Link Satellites, this image is the closest I've found to what I saw, but it is different from what I saw, in that this appears to be a single strand of lights. What I saw looked more symmetrical and appeared to be two rows in parallel of one another and linked between the rows.

1661015621164-png.77185

Last edited:

erForman

Greenwood, TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yep, Starlink satellite deployment. We've seen them down here in Texas too. Don't know about your phone though.

scrmblr1982cj8

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I saw the exact same thing last year during the Christmas tree lighting in our town. Half the crowd was watching the lights rather than listening to the mayor speak as he flipped the switch on the lights.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Local news confirmed it about a week and a half ago, Starlink.