Lights and such to hunt at night

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have never seen them local, Usually order w my light but I order mine from ebay, search for 18650 battery then find the 3000 or 5000 MaH ones for a longer run time. Yes get a charger too as they are rechargeable. If you cannot get them before you need to use the light I can send you a couple.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter

Hard_ware

Here piggy piggy! Deep Deep S. TX.
BS ratings, 3400mah are about the best they make. Panasonic cores are the best, orbtronic makes good ones (panasonic inside) but the electronic cigarette users are buying them up . Ultra fire fakes are more common then the legit Ultra fires.
here are the orbronic 3400mah are best or 3100mah for a little less $$, get a good charger and don't wait to charge them lithiums like to be topped off.
http://www.orbtronic.com/protected-3400mah-18650-li-ion-battery-panasonic-ncr18650B-orbtronic

18650 all the way, 850nm Ir light, Gun mounted light, headlamp. Can't be beat 12watts of stored power 4.2 volts x 3400mah. Run a 1 watt light 10 hrs. Charger will charge them while driving to fields.

Last edited:

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
$18.55 for two batts........?........This is the exact reason that I get my stuff from China. BTW......wondering where these batts were made ??? Guessing.......CHINA !!

Run time ....?....I really do not care how long the batts are good for. I always have extra in my bacpack. I carry a total of 6,18650's. All my lights including my head lamp runs on these batts. I also carry extra's in my truck. I never hunt miles from my truck. On my person or in my backpack I carry two flashlights,and two headlamps(one white,one red). My red headlamp takes ONE 18650. It has two settings,I most always have it on the low setting. On this setting it puts out about 80-120L. It will run at least long enough for me to walk into my hunting spot (about 20 minutes,one way). I have used this light for two hunts before charging(80 minutes). This is long enough for me.

I would absolutely love to buy American. It's the Americans that force me to buy from China. SAD !! --- pruhdlr

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
yeah I have heard all the ratings stories but real world use tells me the 3000 MaH runs longer than the 2400 and the 5000 run longer than the 3000. The 3000 are the best value and the China ones allow you to buy enough not to worry about having plenty of spares. I would say 90% of all 18650 batteries, components and cree and light components are now made in China. I still think the Japanese make the best batteries but they are priced too high. I am not a scientist so for those that are, here are some interesting to you charts/tests
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?330236-Battery-test-review-summary

Last edited:

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
We don't have one here but nice to know ..same price as online or are theY THE ExPeNsIve OnES?

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
TLM, If you use any CR123 batts......get them from Ebay/China also. Super cheap. $.85 - $1.05 each depending on how many you buy. 'Course....you could (still) get them from China by way of the Walgreens or Rexall store for $6.00 EACH. --- pruhdlr

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
TLM, If you use any CR123 batts......get them from Ebay/China also. Super cheap. $.85 - $1.05 each depending on how many you buy. 'Course....you could (still) get them from China by way of the Walgreens or Rexall store for $6.00 EACH. --- pruhdlr

Thats what I pay for them at batteries plus. I buy in bulk!

Hard_ware

I get the highest capacity battery I can afford so I don't need to carry several spares. Usually charge them every couple days, and have not had any quit on me. Even buying top quality cells it's still much cheaper then buying alkaline batts. Using 3 $6 batts to get the runtime of a $18 batt not worth it dying and having to change it when the time might not be convenient (murphy's law). Some of the knockoff's still perform great, but I am not willing to roll the dice and see what capacity I end up with when I know what I could of had. Oz's equal Lbs, and lbs equal pain, carrying best gear I can afford and saving some weight is what I stick to. Having to walk a mile in the rain at night like TLM just did, I am not willing to have a batt cut out because I saved a few dollars but no worry I have a pocket full of them so I can change them while it's raining. If you hunt out of a vehicle and have them laying around not a problem, I like walking/stalking the best.

Last edited:

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I charge mine when I think of it, every month or so if not used, they hold the charge well. I am a light freak so have flashlights(4) kill lights(3) headlamps (2) and 3 spare in my backpack, all using the same batteries so when I am out hunting I have plenty of spares...LOL

Hard_ware

Yep the 18650 batt's are the best setup for portable power. 12watts is a lot of power in such a small package. I am looking at making a Ir laser illuminator using a 18650 host with a dimmer and focusable lens. Currently have one made from mini mag light AA batts last over a mth.

Hunt TXHogs

LSB Member
Yep the 18650 batt's are the best setup for portable power. 12watts is a lot of power in such a small package. I am looking at making a Ir laser illuminator using a 18650 host with a dimmer and focusable lens. Currently have one made from mini mag light AA batts last over a mth.

... in what wavelength of light? :D

Hard_ware

904nm or 850nm I prefer the 904nm harder for critters to see, I have one that is 35mw and works out to 3-400 yds using HF cheap flashlight. But I want to make it variable intensity. Host module that a laser or light could be inter changed would be the $hit.

Hunt TXHogs

LSB Member
904nm or 850nm I prefer the 904nm harder for critters to see, I have one that is 35mw and works out to 3-400 yds using HF cheap flashlight. But I want to make it variable intensity. Host module that a laser or light could be inter changed would be the $hit.

I agree the variable intensity laser would be very nice in a DIY light, I would like to see the 850nm as I think it would serve a majority of image intensification technology devices AND digital tech NV.

HTXH

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
......"variable intensity".......WHY ?? I suspect to save batt power ??

I have a friend that I hunt with sometimes that has a very powerful 850nm IR light. It will definately scare the yotes. We missed getting a shot at two about a week ago when he flipped it on. Hell.......I can see it....I KNOW the yotes can. --- pruhdlr

Hard_ware

Yep, that's y a variable power supply would be great, turn it up to only what is needed. Don't put out any more light then you need. The critters don't get spooked by a light that increases slowly, vs quick change.

Hunt TXHogs

LSB Member
Plus digital tech NV is highly susceptible to reflection of IR light and washout so a variable power supply would allow the shooter to tone down the IR to offset the reflection but still have more than nothing.