How We Did It/Thanks Glen

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
We snuck(sneaked)into an area last night that we knew held hogs. Driving my Bad Boy Buggy,we went into a woods road that ended at a 1A plot. In back of the plot is an old Hemlock swamp. The kind with the black slimy mud mixed with the decaying leaves and brush. Usually tons of sign in there but extremely hard to hunt with a combo of bad wind direction and fairly loud between the back of the plot and the waters edge.

We stopped the buggy and got ready to call. Off to my left I heard a hog grunting. A small boar came out to the near edge of the plot and we killed him. Before we went to retrieve him(probably 2 minutes later) I turned on the FoxPro with the "piglets in distress" sound. I start it off loud and vary the volume from fairly loud to medium. I turn the speaker from side to side to vary the direction of the sound also.

Not even a minute later this 75lb'ish sow cam running out onto the plot,slammed on the brakes and looked around. She was 100yds+ from where we had just killed the small boar.

My buddy put a 125gr NosBalTip thru her from his 300BLK(SBR)with thermal. She took off into the really thick stuff that was about 20yds away. We waited about 5 minutes,walked over to where we thought she went in,and easily located her down in the super thick brush with thermal.

I consider this hog .... called. --- pruhdlrSANY0058.JPG

Last edited:

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Great job! I tried to call last week and the call would not turn on.

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
We snuck(sneaked)into an area last night that we knew held hogs. Driving my Bad Boy Buggy,we went into a woods road that ended at a 1A plot. In back of the plot is an old Hemlock swamp. The kind with the black slimy mud mixed with the decaying leaves and brush. Usually tons of sign in there but extremely hard to hunt with a combo of bad wind direction and fairly loud between the back of the plot and the waters edge.

We stopped the buggy and got ready to call. Off to my left I heard a hog grunting. A small boar came out to the near edge of the plot and we killed him. Before we went to retrieve him(probably 2 minutes later) I turned on the FoxPro with the "piglets in distress" sound. I start it off loud and vary the volume from fairly loud to medium. I turn the speaker from side to side to vary the direction of the sound also.

Not even a minute later this 75lb'ish sow cam running out onto the plot,slammed on the brakes and looked around. She was 100yds+ from where we had just killed the small boar.

My buddy put a 125gr NosBalTip thru her from his 300BLK(SBR)with thermal. She took off into the really thick stuff that was about 20yds away. We waited about 5 minutes,walked over to where we thought she went in,and easily located her down in the super thick brush with thermal.

I consider this hog .... called. --- pruhdlrView attachment 1422
Great shooting what kind of glass on the BO

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
It is a Leupold 1-4X20 Hog Reticle. This scope has a very tiny lighted dot,kinda like the VX-R series. The dot can be set extremely low which aids in target acquisition. --- pruhdlr

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
It is a Leupold 1-4X20 Hog Reticle. This scope has a very tiny lighted dot,kinda like the VX-R series. The dot can be set extremely low which aids in target acquisition. --- pruhdlr
Does have some foam around it? It just looked really long. I,have several VX-R great scopes

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
The black material is between the Leupold and the thermal. Thermal being forward. This keeps all light from getting between the two optics(thermal and scope). The thermal on the forward rail can be unclipped for tracking a wounded animal,etc. The Leupold stays on the rail over the upper.

To me all this is a PITA. My AR/6.8 just has a ATN ThOR above the upper in a LaRue #17 mount. Nothing else goes on my gun. --- pruhdlr

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Thanks I was wondering what that was.

sneedb82

LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good job. I first learned of Glenn's calling strategy's on the Fox Pro Predator Talkcast (podcast that's hosted by Brian Downs), and most people that hunted hogs with me thought I was completely crazy when i took a foxpro out to call in pigs one night...

Needless to say, they didn't think I was kidding anymore when I shot three that night to their nill. I'll always keep a foxpro with pig sounds handy from now on!

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I have used the call and had hogs come in. However,this was the first time that I can definately say that they came TO the call. It was different the other night. She came in "looking" for something. She was headed to the source of the sound. She carried herself like she was pissed and ready for a fight. ---pruhdlr