Guided hunt prices

Aspp

Central California
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I was talking with my cousin, who is a local guide, and we got on the topic of prices, he told me that he is booked 14 months out on hogs, with feeder (under 125lbs) sows selling for $550 each, boars for $750 (over 100lbs), and trophy animals (over 225lbs) are $750+150/inch of tusk measured from the skull! Plus 15% tip to the skinners, and meat processors! Its at least 2" of tusk if it clears a lip!!!! You Texans want to make some money importing your hogs?!?!?!?!?!?!

I guess the LA crowd think its a steal, they get to come up here and wine taste (4-500/day), kill a pig (550-1200/hog), and have $100/plate meals every night on the ocean...

Im in the wrong damn buisness....

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Holy crap!!! Tell them all Wichita Falls, TX has the best hog hunting and wine tasting in the world, but there is a one week limit on how long they can stay and no option to move here. LOL. We do have a lot of hogs, there is a local winery, and I charge almost half of what they do for an all night hunt and 2 hogs of any size. We continually take hogs over 200 pounds too. No $100 plates of food or ocean though.

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I can't wait to hunt hogs and do a wine tasting.......... :)

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That is just crazy pricing, well it is LaLa land...LOL

Wassman

Houston, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Ummmm I like killing pig but not that much.

I would say right now tbone outfitters has the best deal in the state. I would say the price is just right.

Aspp

Central California
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Ya, I told my cousin he was over priced. He told me he doesnt get paid enough to deal with the LA/SF Yuppys that want to shoot a hog and bring a tree hugging wife/boyfriend with them... Kinda understand the cost then... Talked to 2 of the other hunt guides I know (local cancer fundraser for my hunting partners daughter lastnight) and they are in the same ball park. Hell, they all CHARGE you to shoot yotes!!!!

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I thought it was crazy here in Florida whe people were asking $500 for a trophy boar. Some places are $250 per hog no matter what it is. Still seems a little crazy since I hear that al these hunts are over in 20 minutes after you get there. Most of the places fence in hogs and drive around them so inch they are used to people.

Some of the trophy hunting places here have reviews of people saying the hogs come running out of the brush like it was just let out of a cage.

I just can't see paying some of these crazy prices.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I need to get in on this! In the Panhandle it is tough to get $250 a hunt, with add-ons maybe as much as $350(bait, cleaning, multiple hogs)

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Zonic, They never say penned or fair chase, so I assume they are in a fence situation? Especially with that success rate.

I am telling you at $250 it is a pain in the ass to take typical non hog hunters out for an evening and babysit them. I tried it twice, once stayed with them and once dropped them off and backed out to a safe area where I could not get shot and listened to their whining all night by text and calls, one missed a 50yd shot...give me a break!

My Kudo's to you guys that do it for a living, I know you could write a book!

Aspp

Central California
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I help out on occation, usually not as a handler. I bust brush or track and finish off the wounded ones after a bad hunt. My people skills are not up to the standard needed to deal with them, especally when they are paying that much and expect everything on a silver platter. I cant do it, little too rough around the edges.

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Zonic, They never say penned or fair chase, so I assume they are in a fence situation? Especially with that success rate.

i know a lot of them say they have fenced in property but also say hogs come and go through open sections. most places just fence it in so its a little harder for the hogs to leave property.

as for a canned hunt situation, i have only read what people have written in reviews of places and heard a few friends tell me how it seemed. with hogs, im sure theres no regulations here for letting a huge boar go on your property at just the right time for someone to shoot it. from what i read, and i have no idea if im right, you can let hogs go on your own fenced in property in florida. so that would make canned hunts basically legal.

I help out on occation, usually not as a handler. I bust brush or track and finish off the wounded ones after a bad hunt. My people skills are not up to the standard needed to deal with them, especally when they are paying that much and expect everything on a silver platter. I cant do it, little too rough around the edges.

down here it seems they just throw you in a swamp buggy and drive around till you see a hog. sometimes they will let the dogs out to flush out hogs. a place my friend went had the dogs trained to flush a hog then come back on command to get out of the line of fire. once the dog is clear the "guide", more of the driver, would say shoot and thats it. you miss they keep going, you hit it the hunt is over. then its off to find the hog. you still pay if you hit it and never find the hog.

histopicker

St. George, Utah
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I worked at an exotic game ranch last year just to help out with a large party of 30 + people. There were all types of characters in that group from grizzled old men to metro-sexual's who don't want to be here but it might help my carrier types. Now I am not the type who will coddle anyone and this trait is apparent in my dealings with others (actually had a border patrol agent comment on how salty of an old bastard I was). What i'm getting around to is this; You don't have to be a jerk with these folks but If you are firm and confident enough in your dealings with them you will gain their respect.

Aspp

Central California
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I worked at an exotic game ranch last year just to help out with a large party of 30 + people. There were all types of characters in that group from grizzled old men to metro-sexual's who don't want to be here but it might help my carrier types. Now I am not the type who will coddle anyone and this trait is apparent in my dealings with others (actually had a border patrol agent comment on how salty of an old bastard I was). What i'm getting around to is this; You don't have to be a jerk with these folks but If you are firm and confident enough in your dealings with them you will gain their respect.

Im a pritty mild mannored guy, it usually takes quite a bit to get to me. The couple of times I helped out as a handler, they were pushing my buttons within minutes. Until you have delt with those types, its very hard to explain the attitude that they bring with them. Out of 10, 4 will be fine, 4 will be a royal PITA, and 2 will earn a painful lesson.
Getting called "Boy" by some wallstreet type from LA who is only a couple years older than me, I can handle, being treated like a 3rd class imbread citizen because I wear blue jeans and chew copenhagan is not something I deal well with. Just because they get paid 100k a year and live in LA doesnt make them better than anyone else. They are the reason that people hate Californains, it only takes meeting one of those types once or twice in your life.

histopicker

St. George, Utah
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Aspp; I know exactly what you are saying, and I agree. What I was trying to gently say is I treat them in a manner respective to how they present themselves to me. If by their actions they ask me to treat them as an idiot, so be it. I do not tolerate rude behavior in people and don't have to. They soon learn not to screw with the old guy, it ain't worth the grief. I have on the other hand met clients whom I developed a great deal of respect for and actually have learned something from. For the ones who want to be hard cases I have a joke I tell them that lets them know exactly how I feel. It is inappropriate for this forum but It really serves to relay a message to the individual. You have to sometimes be creative. I have received my best tips from those who expected to much from me and because of their bad attitude received very little in return. Go figure.

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I guess I have been lucky. All of my customers have treated me with respect and had great attitudes throughout the hunt. Most of my clients have been from the military or forum members so I haven't had to deal with rude people. There will be a time when someone tries my patients, but it generally takes a lot to get me upset. I'll keep this thread in mind when it happens.

Of course TLM knows how to push my buttons and set me off in about 60 seconds. I sware that guy is a professional crap disturber. LOL.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
You are younger and maybe more patient than us OLD guy are or even want to be...LOL

histopicker

St. George, Utah
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I guess I have been lucky. All of my customers have treated me with respect and had great attitudes throughout the hunt. Most of my clients have been from the military or forum members so I haven't had to deal with rude people. There will be a time when someone tries my patients, but it generally takes a lot to get me upset. Ill keep this thread in mind when it happens.

Of course TLM knows how to push my buttons and set me off in about 60 seconds. I aware that guy is a professional crap disturber. LOL.
It kinda seems that way on occasion. lol