Finally got some cutters.

boatdriver1790

LSB Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
So I've been hunting this one field that's bordered on three sides by federal refuge. Lots of hogs in there. There are two box blinds on the northern corners that I've been using to pick off mostly lone boars this month. The biggest one before this was around 210lbs and none have had any cutters.

I was sitting on the northwest corner blind overlooking some dry corn I put out at about 70yds. Using a THOR as a spotting scope I saw a what looked like a pretty good hog come in about 10:30 pm. I put my green light on him and he spooked for a bit but came back out of the woods. Bam. I knew I hit him but was a bit back from the neck. I heard him run about 30 yards and crash.

I didn't want to end the hunt yet so I waited another hour or so and a small bachelor group of boars came out. Again, had to play the waiting game as my light kept spooking them just back inside the wood line. Finally I got a head shot on a smaller boar. My first double!!!

I rode the 4 wheeler down there and threw the little one on the back. One look into the woods with the thermal and saw a huge white hot spot in the palmettos. Got the gun up just in case but I was very happy to see this big fella laying there with a nice set of cutters on him! Took me nearly 30 minutes to drag him out. Had to drag him nearly a quarter mile to the trailer with the quad.

Heart girth measured 46 inches. Is that big enough for a banner?!?!

Last edited:

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Nice looking boar. If they keep spooking from your light, try turning the light on while pointing it in the air. Then slowly bringing it down to the hog. Do your scanning on the edge of the light and only put the center of the beam on them when you are ready to shoot. They still might get squirrelly, but it may give you more time. Also, if the same ones come by regularly, they will learn quick.

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Wow that's a big hog with some crazy cutters

Homebrewer

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Congrats on the hog ivory! Big Hog and excellent choppers too!

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Those are some nasty cutters on him. Nice work getting him.

JPK

LSB Active Member
Very nice!

Why not use the Thor for a scope and use the rifle to scan? Not too hard to do from a blind or tower.

JPK

rrv333

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Great cutters

Jake

Bandera, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

boatdriver1790

LSB Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Very nice!

Why not use the Thor for a scope and use the rifle to scan? Not too hard to do from a blind or tower.

JPK

JPK, I would love to do that but it's not my Thor and isn't zeroed to my rifle. My buddy just lets me use it sometimes.

Now I tried the IR Defense Mark III tonight and WOW! What a difference. Don't think I can sneak 7 grand by the old lady though.

Thanks for the kind words everyone. I'll get some pics of the skull up asap.

Lancer

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That will make a nice trophy, congrats

D

djones

wow. i don't see teeth like that very often on a hog with nuts. very impressive. you should get the banner for cutters/curls alone!!

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Man o man what a hog!!! and a heck of a set of TOOFS!!! Way to go!!! Glad you got a DANDY!! BANG BANG!!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
OH man that is gonna be great, you need a few piranha to help you!

scrmblr1982cj8

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I've put skulls in crab traps before. It doesn't take long for the crabs to pick a skull clean. I've heard of people putting skulls on anthills as well.

81police

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
those molars look wore down and with his front teeth! Old pig maybe?

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Ants will do a number on it and quick.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That's a great skull for a mount !! Big cutters on that beast!!