Christmas is right around the corner

Harris hawker

LSB Member
If its ok, I was wondering if some people could post some of their favorite knife makers.
I would REALLY like to get some Damascus knives for some friends for Christmas. Nothing fancy, the most custom thing I want is their name and maybe a symbol put on it.
Really like the look of Damascus steel.
Thanx for the help.
Mike

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I'd suggest going to some local gun shows... I generally see a number of knife maker vendors when I go. Never know what you may stumble on to.

TXCOONDOG

Highlands, Texas
I agree with Ratdog68.

You may also give MooreMaker (they engrave) a look and if you want a once in a life time true custom, check out Jason Fry of Fry Custom Knifes.

I'm old school and buy vintage knifes such as Old Timer, MooreMakers, Case, etc which good through great deals pop-up on ebay from time to time.

Are you looking for a fixed blade, a folder or both?

Other manafactures you may want to look at are Benchmade, Spyderco, Kershaw, and Ka-bar.

Last edited:

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Just some food for thought. The more I've been reading up and such, the more I'm liking a few specific qualities for a working knife.

1. High Carbon Steel, for the ability to throw spark with a flint, or other type of hard rock.
2. A good/sharp 90 degree spine, allowing the back of the knife to throw a good shower of sparks from a fero-rod.
3. Full tang construction for the ability to be used hard.
4. At least 5" of blade length, of 3/16" steel.

Beyond that... what ever floats yer boat. I'm more of a leather sheath kind of guy. Full welt to protect the stitching... and prefer a loop for securing a fer-rod to the sheath too.