Butterball "Ping" Thump

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Butterball mocked me and eluded me twice before. He was an odd-looking hog with short legs, but turned out much larger than expected. I really had plans, this time, to get a lot of that footage of the hog just milling around, eating and such, but he just came in and stood still. So I shot him in the head. In a rather bizarre twist, when the shot enter at the side of his face, the bullet traversed the jaw, bottom of the cranium, neck, and smashed the right shoulder, breaking it. No exit.

Brought him home to show the kids and a buddy is coming up from Dallas to slaughter him.

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good job Brian! You trying to give Pigman a run for his $$?

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
Nice shooting. Butterball was a good hog, should be some good eating .

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
If that dwarf legged hog had real legs he'd gone over 200# .lol
I like the thought of going to kill a specific hog and killing him! Pretty cool. Also like the strategic placement of "the bird."

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good seeing Angry Bird back to doing RECON. It's cookie time !!!! That is kind of a homely hog. Nice shot, thanks for the vid.

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That was a nice hog fo sure. You pinged him a good one. Nice going and nice video!!! BANG BANG!! Or in Butterballs case just 1 ping will do!!!:)

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well this was interesting. I just got off the phone with the guy to whom the hog was donated. He got is skinned out and butchered and tomorrow it will go to the processor. I asked him if he would let me know what he finds in regard to the bullet. He only found a few fragments of bullet the largest being one about the size of the "tip of a ball point pen" resting by the broken right humerus. There was also damage to the meat inside of the left shoulder, but that the heart and lungs looked good. He confirmed that the entry was below the ear, hitting the upper portion of the ascending ramus of the mandible (the upright portion that connects to the skull). In his words, the bullet {pieces} bounced around some.

So despite making a head shot, I still managed to damage some of the meat in both shoulders. :(

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
the SST frags after it hits, you might find pieces anywhere, I always get damage unless it is a side shot through the ears or neck

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
You know, Frank, I spoke with the Hornady rep at the Dallas Safari Show about this issue. I told him that I would like them to have a solid in 6.5 that would be less likely to fragment and he seemed genuinely surprised that I had bullets coming apart. You are right. If not a through and through, pieces are apt to be anywhere and even if a through and through, some will still get left behind.

I just sort of expected there to be a large fragment that broke the humerus and expected that it would have still been a large fragment, but that wasn't the case.

The round does a great job of putting down hogs, but you can find lead or jacket fragments all over sometimes.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well this was interesting. I just got off the phone with the guy to whom the hog was donated. He got is skinned out and butchered and tomorrow it will go to the processor. I asked him if he would let me know what he finds in regard to the bullet. He only found a few fragments of bullet the largest being one about the size of the "tip of a ball point pen" resting by the broken right humerus. There was also damage to the meat inside of the left shoulder, but that the heart and lungs looked good. He confirmed that the entry was below the ear, hitting the upper portion of the ascending ramus of the mandible (the upright portion that connects to the skull). In his words, the bullet {pieces} bounced around some.

So despite making a head shot, I still managed to damage some of the meat in both shoulders. :(
Glad to know it was the ascending ramus and not the actual coronoid process and the condyles. Whew...close one.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
You know, Frank, I spoke with the Hornady rep at the Dallas Safari Show about this issue. I told him that I would like them to have a solid in 6.5 that would be less likely to fragment and he seemed genuinely surprised that I had bullets coming apart. You are right. If not a through and through, pieces are apt to be anywhere and even if a through and through, some will still get left behind.

I just sort of expected there to be a large fragment that broke the humerus and expected that it would have still been a large fragment, but that wasn't the case.

The round does a great job of putting down hogs, but you can find lead or jacket fragments all over sometimes.

Obviously the Hornady folks using this rd do not hunt or are totally clueless. They do a great job but I would call it a grenade rd....have you ever had one hold together?

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Brian excellent video. What MDVR are you using? Glad you gave meat away vs. leaving it for yotes.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Obviously the Hornady folks using this rd do not hunt or are totally clueless. They do a great job but I would call it a grenade rd....have you ever had one hold together?
I've had plenty 120's hold together not 100% of course because the front does frag but the main body is intact.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I've had plenty 120's hold together not 100% of course because the front does frag but the main body is intact.

Yeah, when I get something to recover, it is like the front end is melted back and then melted off, but I think they often just shatter when they hit heavy bone.

The round does a great job of killing no doubt, just not so great at staying together.

What MDVR are you using? Glad you gave meat away vs. leaving it for yotes.

I have two different MDVRs. One is from Ultimate Night Vision and the other is a "high definition camera" (that is what is on the box) made is China (as most seem to be) and from ebay.

I would give away all my hogs, but people would rather butchered and freezer packaged meat in dinner-sized quantities or just don't bother. To be honest, I am surprised nobody has has asked to to just go ahead and BBQ it for them while I am at it, LOL.