$2 Coyote and 2nd of 2017

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I had a good hunt last night. I think I may have spotted the boar that put the hurt on the boar I shot around Christmas up in Saint Jo (multiple slices on its side). The only problem was that he was more than 1000 yards away on the neighbor's property, but he seemed to be of substantial size. I have only a short clip of him in the video, but watched him for several minutes.

I also watched this coyote for quite a long time. She came in down wind of me, but I was up on my ridge again where I could see the greatest amount of the surrounding from one spot and that put me about 30 feet higher in elevation than she was by the time I shot her. I tried using the call to draw her in, but the call was actually on the opposite side of the ridge from where she was. She seemed to hear it, but it held no real fascination for her despite trying multiple calls.

I made what I thought was a terrific shot on her and she went right down. To my surprise, she started to get back up and I hit her again. I don't know what to say. The first shot entered her right shoulder, breaking her leg, and then traveled through about 18" of body before exiting the opposite side just a bit forward of the hip. That she had the ability to rise up like that with a broken leg after what should have been a devastating hit is just plain impressive.

2 Shots of factory Grendel SST = $2

OneK

LSB Active Member
Staff member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
more than 1000 yards away
Come on Brian, that's still within range. Just think of the bragging rights if you would have killed him. And you didn't even use a 338! You can't kill them if you don't shoot.

Excellent shot on the dog!

Love the scope!

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Come on Brian, that's still within range. Just think of the bragging rights if you would have killed him. And you didn't even use a 338! You can't kill them if you don't shoot.

Well, I can't argue with that logic. The only thing holding me back was the legality of shooting across the property line. :p

OneK

LSB Active Member
Staff member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well, I can't argue with that logic. The only thing holding me back was the legality of shooting across the property line. :p
Hogs die of natural causes all the time. It's just natural for us to kill them, besides it was probably a ricochet anyway. I wouldn't tell!

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Purdy little girl, good seeing another fawn killer down though.

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yup he does look like a fine hog out there, hope you get em and can show us how big he is!! Nice yottteeee! BANG BANG!!

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Nice looking coyote Brian. If you like the traditional color schemes. Lol

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
that would have been a $.70 yote with a 6.8...lol

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yeah that is what I paid for my last 20 boxes, cool huh?? then if I count the .35-.40 a case I get for once fired, well.... Just playing with you though was teasing about your 6.5..Good shot, doubt you needed the second

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I was surprised he did but it was not getting up and running, no way to know that at the time, I love the double tap

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good video and another good coyote down! Happy hunting!

DarkNight

LSB Member
Nice video! Thanks for sharing yardages so us newbs can get an idea of target id. Anyone have a Zeus 640 video at longer range to compare images to? Still saving my pennies for a scope here.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I try to put yardages into all of my videos because people often ask how far the shot was. The exceptions are on group hunts were we often don't take the time. In the past, I would use landmarks with Google Earth or use pacing to get distance. Now I used a GPS app that even works in open fields with no landmarks.

It has been a while since I got a coyote with the Zeus 3. In this first video, check out the changes in yardages on the first coyote. Some are estimated as he runs, but are in the ballpark. The start end are solid as is at least one as he runs (using landmarks)...

Last edited:

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
LOL... love the gobbles in #2... good projectile fling capture too.

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice shot! Still getting caught up on your videos haha