Young coyote was so close

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
i went to feed the deer tonight after dumping the bucket of corn I hear something in the corn. Well a young yote shows up on a smell,trail and looks right at me and does not see me. It was 3 rows in. All the times not to have my pistol on me. I yelled at it and it took off. My heart works great after that little encounter. Dang.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
And there you go!

I have learned too many times that if I am on property, I am hunting. I always carry and if I have a rifle, it is loaded before I get onto the property, at the gate, if not at a stop just before I arrive. I don't unload until I am half way home.

Yelling just isn't as effective, is it? I have done that as well.

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Amen brother. It was in my back yard. Learned a big lesson. Could not believe it did not see me but I was not moving at all.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The last opportunity I had to deer hunt was 2010. I was sitting just off a logging road, under a stump which a bear had used to sharpen his claws. While looking ahead of me, towards a clearing, and a small tree area in the bottom, I had this feeling. I slowly turned my head to look over my shoulder, and saw a 'yote loping down the road, headed my way. About the time I was deciding to turn my body and find out what a .45 cal. black powder carbine would do to a 'yote... he winded me, spun around and went into warp drive (back the way he came).

About an hour later, I got my FIRST EVER opportunity at a LEGAL shot on a native WA State deer (Columbia Blacktail). It was a doe with fawn. The area I was in was "if it's brown it's down". They had no idea I was there... it was a decent shot angle, but, I decided to let that fawn have a few more lessons from mom. It was old/big enough to fend for itself (as I justified the shot), but I decided to pass.

I've seen does during buck-only times/locations, I've seen deer during elk-only times, never had a legal shot opportunity in WA before then. One of these days...

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
keep on keeping on

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The last opportunity I had to deer hunt was 2010. I was sitting just off a logging road, under a stump which a bear had used to sharpen his claws. While looking ahead of me, towards a clearing, and a small tree area in the bottom, I had this feeling. I slowly turned my head to look over my shoulder, and saw a 'yote loping down the road, headed my way. About the time I was deciding to turn my body and find out what a .45 cal. black powder carbine would do to a 'yote... he winded me, spun around and went into warp drive (back the way he came).

About an hour later, I got my FIRST EVER opportunity at a LEGAL shot on a native WA State deer (Columbia Blacktail). It was a doe with fawn. The area I was in was "if it's brown it's down". They had no idea I was there... it was a decent shot angle, but, I decided to let that fawn have a few more lessons from mom. It was old/big enough to fend for itself (as I justified the shot), but I decided to pass.

I've seen does during buck-only times/locations, I've seen deer during elk-only times, never had a legal shot opportunity in WA before then. One of these days...
You did the right thing!