Yes we have Black Bears in FL

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
They are just now considering a tag and hunting permit as limited as it will be for bears...trust me here, they are everywhere. Obviously they do not suffer like our small deer do due to lack of proper management and food source! They have been lying about the bear #'s for 20 years to keep a ban on hunting them, with 2 attacks on people in the last 6 mos I believe it is time.

Florida state record for black bear has been broken after wildlife officers captured a 740-pound bear in a neighborhood.
On Sunday, Jan. 11, 2015 the Florida record for largest black bear was shattered by 120 pounds by a bear captured in a Longwood neighborhood. The original record-holder was 620 pounds that was captured in Paislry and later released in Ocala National Forest in 2013.

Residents had complained for weeks about a large bear that had been wandering through their yards and streets. The officers set a trap on Saturday and baited it with a sock full of doughnuts and syrup. The next morning after finding the bear in the trap, they sedated it and moved him before deciding euthanasia was the best course.

The bear’s size had nothing to do with the euthanasia. It had just become too comfortable around people and posed a safety risk.

Mike Orlando the FWC’s bear expert said, We don’t always rush out and capture them because they are big. No bear- not big ones, little ones, or the medium sized ones should be comfortable in neighborhoods. We don’t want to kill any animal, especially an impressive and majestic animal like that, but public safety is paramount.

Since most black bears only average about 250 pounds they are positive he didn’t get that big on natural food sources.

Thomas Eason of FWC’s Division of Habitat & Species conservation said;

He probably feasted on a cornucopia of curbside garbage.

Increasing conflict with humans have forced FWC to take more drastic approaches to managing the black bears, which used to be a threatened species in Florida. This follows after more than four people have been mauled by bears in the last 13 months.

“We’ve tried everything else,” Eason said. “We’ve been lenient with bears. We’ve moved them. We’ve left them in neighborhoods. We’ve worked with people to, you know, say you need to do your part. We’ve just reached the point where we have so many bears and so many people interacting.”

The growing bear population has also led to wildlife commissioners to reconsider opening black bear hunting for the first time since 1994. The bear population which was estimated to be around 3,000 seems to have exploded over the last decade.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I will buy a tag, 1 for the lease at least.

PICT0093.jpg

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
About friggin' time !!

EGarza04

El Sauz, TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Wow I may have to make a trip to Florida then! That's great that they may open a season. those things are worse than raccoons when it comes to damage on a ranch. They can eat anything and everything that a raccoon can.

they are still considered protected here in Texas. We do have an occasional straggler from Mexico or from outside of our borders in some places. Other parts of the state have small populations. That's how I got the picture for my avatar. He was a straggler from Mexico.

EGarza04

El Sauz, TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Wow I may have to make a trip to Florida then! That's great that they may open a season. those things are worse than raccoons when it comes to damage on a ranch. They can eat anything and everything that a raccoon can.

they are still considered protected here in Texas. We do have an occasional straggler from Mexico or from outside of our borders in some places. Other parts of the state have small populations. That's how I got the picture for my avatar. He was a straggler from Mexico.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
yeah I love it, they eat the corn, cannot digest it and puke or poop it back out after they have destroyed your feeders and run game off the lease! We lost about 10 feeders to them this year.

Andre Lopes

Boar Hunter from Southern Brazil
SUS VENATOR CLUB
yeah I love it, they eat the corn, cannot digest it and puke or poop it back out after they have destroyed your feeders and run game off the lease! We lost about 10 feeders to them this year.
Very interesting this!

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
740Lb Black bear is huge, my guess is he got that big eating scraps!!! 740 I'd say he was comfortable for a long time:) BANG BANG!!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
yeah no matter where you are 740# black bear is BIG..heck 740# of anything is BIG

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
:rolleyes:

Another illegal, probably following a coyote.

EGarza04

El Sauz, TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
:rolleyes:
Another illegal, probably following a coyote.
Funny thing is I got called about him being at the dam on the south side of falcon lake. When I got there, I followed him on foot around 50 to 60 yards behind him and he walked right through the port of entry! All the customs officers ran inside when they saw him coming. It's a really small POE so the bear, customs officers, one of our game wardens, and I were the only ones there at the time. He smelled them cooking some BBQ in the back and wanted to investigate.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
yeah I love it, they eat the corn, cannot digest it and puke or poop it back out after they have destroyed your feeders and run game off the lease!

Actually, they can and do digest part of the corn, the insides. It is the cellulose pericarp that they have troubles with (yellow, outer part). So if they can crack that open, then they can digest the insides of the corn just fine. Note that humans don't digest the cellulose pericarp either, but we still eat corn.

I know that still doesn't help with the feeders, but the bears do get something from raiding them. It may not be terribly efficient in terms of nutritional food, but does provide a lot of dietary fiber for them.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
yeah we find a lot puke back up and generally whole corn in the poop too...I hope is breaks a tooth!

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Funny thing is I got called about him being at the dam on the south side of falcon lake. When I got there, I followed him on foot around 50 to 60 yards behind him and he walked right through the port of entry! All the customs officers ran inside when they saw him coming. It's a really small POE so the bear, customs officers, one of our game wardens, and I were the only ones there at the time. He smelled them cooking some BBQ in the back and wanted to investigate.
They can't be all bad if they like good Texas BBQ

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
no love from me except w BBQ sauce on him