Will a 22 Nosler be effective on hogs?

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Damn, OK I am impressed w the 22Nosler...That CMMG is a good looking rifle

Hard_ware

Here piggy piggy! Deep Deep S. TX.
I like the speed , seems to cut the flight noise. Quick blast and then impact. Didn't seem to spook the critters as much .

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
You make it look easy.
Another upper I need to order. Stop it!
I actually was pretty easy just point and click. I was not expecting those results.

scrmblr1982cj8

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Impressive! I'll have to figure out how to hide it from the wife!

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Have a friend with one and they are a flat shooting and is very fast, it be gettin it! Love seeing those type of results with that thing. You have to be in shape to tote around a 24 inch rifle though. I can not do it. Next is to get a 16 or 18 inch out there and see what happens. Have not studied the ballistic but I think the mph is going to drop a fair bit, like I said have not looked at ballistics so I am just guessing. Love the sound for sure and with a 24 you can reach out there and touch a yoteee. Hope you get a 16 or 18 and show us that. Good on ya for those numbers again!!! BANG BANG!!

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good review of the rifle and new round!! Looking forward for more review on it. Always good hogs downs ; )

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
PS: you always seem to be able to get to places that have a hog population problem.?:)

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
The ballistics are up fairly close to a 22-250.
GOODS - - -> ballistics,uses 6.8SPC mags,fast(er)twist rate,can use a "normal" 5.56/223 upper/lower.
BADS - - -> does NOT use 6.8SPC brass,for best terminal ballistics you should use a non-lead bullet or possibly a FMJ. The Barnes TSX/TTSX or the Hornady GMX would most likely be my choice. Maybe even a Nosler Partition. You would not need to use a unnecessarily heavy bullet but a Barnes 62 or 70gr TSX could be good.
All the "normal" varmint bullets could be to weak for the deeper penetration. Fine for smaller critters with thin hides,but for a hog shield I suspect the animal would run. Of course any CNS shot would be deadly. That is, unless you are trying to hit the CNS anywhere except thru the head or neck.
All in all I believe that this will be a good chambering. You sacrifice a little speed of the 22-250 . . . however the other pluses surely make up for it. Besides . . . a 22-250 should ALWAYS be shot in a heavy bbl bolt gun. --- pruhdlr
ADDED. - - -> Another plus is for the longer bbl. As in most any .224" centerfire,you got to have a long bbl to get the added vels. For most chamberings it is 30-40 fps per added inch.
With hot loading my 5.56X45,with it's 24" bbl I can get almost 3600fps using a Nosler BalTip. A long bbl'ed 223AI will come really close to the 22Nos also.

Last edited:

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
My .22-250 was my go-to killing machine for caribou.

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Odin was advertising them as 1000 yards for a 1000. Had two friends that ran and got them. They are nice and use Grendel mags. They have been coming out with much stuff this year. This setup is also very accurate with little to zero kick. BANG BANG!!

Last edited:

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Just read an article out of an 18 inch barrel using a 77 gr bullet it is pushing 2950!! Dang!! I reckon a reloader and a heavier gr bullet should be enough to still kill just about any pork a person would care to shoot. With the accuracy of this round and the travel speed should make it interesting?? The article also said they used 6.8 spc mags so both the Grendel and spc mags work for the 22nosler!? BANG BANG!! Wonder what's next?:)

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Have a friend with one and they are a flat shooting and is very fast, it be gettin it! Love seeing those type of results with that thing. You have to be in shape to tote around a 24 inch rifle though. I can not do it. Next is to get a 16 or 18 inch out there and see what happens. Have not studied the ballistic but I think the mph is going to drop a fair bit, like I said have not looked at ballistics so I am just guessing. Love the sound for sure and with a 24 you can reach out there and touch a yoteee. Hope you get a 16 or 18 and show us that. Good on ya for those numbers again!!! BANG BANG!!
With factory ammo you loose 300fps between 18" and 24"

Night Owl

LSB Member
That 300lb boar that you weren't able to record would have been an epic thing to watch. Great video Lawman, I really like how you demo so many different calibers, guns , optics,etc.

That Nosler round looks incredible. Towards the end of the video you took a shot at a running pig that looked to be about a 100yds. or so away and used a small lead and it looked like that bullet was so fast it just flew right in front of him.That 22 is a monster....

Last edited:

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That 300lb boar that you weren't able to record would have been an epic thing to watch. Great video Lawman, I really like how you demo so many different calibers, guns , optics,etc.

That Nosler round looks incredible. Towards the end of the video you took a shot at a running pig that looked to be about a 100yds. or so away and used a small lead and it looked like that bullet was so fast it just flew right in front of him.That 22 is a monster....
Yes I completely missed the first shot it's so fast I have to cut lead drastically.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Still running the 22 Nosler? Try any other loads or still using the Etip?
Still using the etip. It works have not found a reason to change.