Wife's Lake Fork Bass-Her PB !!

Russell J

FYI-Long Read....

Took the wife fishing the other day and as she dropped her minnow down beside a tree all of the sudden her drag started stripping out as the fish took a run... She usually is fairly calm about catching big fish because it's not her first rodeo at that but this was a different story... lol As she was sitting on the boat the pole was bent over into the water and her yelling I can't hold it..!!! As she stood up and readjusted the way she was holding the rod because she said she thought it was going to break her wrists the fish took another run and this time half the rod went into the water... I took it from her and was working the fish up through the trees it had wrapped around. All this time all she was saying "what it is, what it is"... I told her I thought it was a big catfish and at one point she backed up to the other side of the boat as if she was scared and said she wasn't sure she wanted to see it...lol Not typical of my wife...!!! The line went limp and I handed it to her and said he got off... Obviously she wasn't happy and then as I was tying the boat to the tree she screamed "He's still on there" and her line was heading towards the rear of the boat. When the fish surfaced you'd thought someone had been murdered the way she screamed. As soon as I got my hands on the fish she started jumping around in the boat like a kid in a candy store for the first time. She was in a panic to try and find her phone to take a picture. When she located it she then went into a tizzy because the phone had overheated. I had to tell her I had a phone. Well as soon as I said that she went into "where's the scale, where's the measuring board, where's the scale, where's the measuring board" one right after the other. Needless to say when it was all said and done the fish weighed 6 lbs and 12 oz. and measured 23 1/2 inches long. Her next few minutes were spent sending the pic to probably just about every one of her contacts.....
I wish I had it on video because this post does no justice to how happy she was and how she danced around the boat in a tizzy. Good times..!!!!!
People sometimes ask if the fish was released. Yes it was..
We practice CPR-Catch-Photograph-Release.

fish 1.PNG fish 2.PNG

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice fish, better story!

LegendRider

Cross, South Carolina
Cat Fish - 46lbs 13oz.JPG Very Nice Bass!!! Caught this 47lb Flathead throwing a Little John Crank Bait back in the Spring while fishing for Bass. Santee Cooper in its hay day was one of the top lakes in the country.

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Now that is a heck of a fish! Dang good for her. Can you eat them where you caught them?

Russell J

Legendrider-Now that's a catfish.... !!!

Rob-yes you can but this lake is geared towards growing huge bass. It has a 16"-24" slot. Anything in that slot must go back by state law... Also keeping largemouth bass a touchy subject with a lot Texas fisherman. The majority of fisherman want them put back to grow bigger, especially in Lake Fork, but if it is legal to keep, some people do to eat. The smaller ones I think are ok to keep but I do get a little bent when I see a guy keep a 9+ lb bass for the grease but hey, that's his choice.. To show catch and release works there's a fish in Fork that's had a chip put in it. Its been caught and released 3 times in the past few years. Personally I like crappie and catfish for the grease!!!

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Excellent fish and good story. I don't ever keep bass for the grease. They just aren't worth eating compared to crappie. When I lived in Arkansas and Missouri walleye was our number one target for the grease. Delicious!

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
LOL... always fun when someone goes into ape-mode when the line's stripping away. Congrats.