What effect, if any, would an Ultaviolet light have with a PVS-14?

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Is that range of wavelength even visible?
Could it in any way damage the devise?
Any ideas?

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I was hoping that you were out videoing the latest hog ambush!

Came across a replacement lamp for the L2, a surefire knock off.

They have a 850nm IR that we use, but the red cherry is visible. Good cheap light, but I would prefer a 940nm.

When I saw the UV lamp I wondered what if anything it would look like.

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I was hoping that you were out videoing the latest hog ambush!

Came across a replacement lamp for the L2, a surefire knock off.

They have a 850nm IR that we use, but the red cherry is visible. Good cheap light, but I would prefer a 940nm.

When I saw the UV lamp I wondered what if anything it would look like.

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
dang it

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
We were out but nothing was moving we covered a lot if ground with no luck.

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
So, what is the best way to eliminate the red glowing cherry of death?

sometimes we need the light

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
So, what is the best way to eliminate the red glowing cherry of death?

Unless you are Spec OPs, the light won't be a problem for hogs. They tend to respond to intensity and most such lights are not seen well unless they are looked at directly and not from off to the side. The intensity appears low, and so doesn't spook the animals 99% of the time (best guess). I am sure they can see it, but because it isn't bright, it seems to hold little relevance to them.

You can go with filters, but that really hampers performance.

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
What exactly are you trying to accomplish here?
more and more often stories of coyotes and bobcats and even hogs taking notice of the red glow and reacting.

something that was not visible a minute ago is suddenly there. Once a group associates that little something un-natural they get skittish in hard hunted area.

Many time hunters report that as soon as the light was turned on some animal turned and looked right at them. Do they recognize it as a threat?
Not usually, but when we engage a sounder more hogs get away than get taken. This opens the door that some individuals will associate the little red dot in the distance to danger.

The long distance red dot won't even be seen, but under a 100 yards I think it can be. As long as the light is ignored it is not a problem obviously.

What I am trying to accomplish is this: Have a truly invisible light, not just a less visible light. Is it needed for everyone? Heck no. Do I want to do it this way? Yes

The question about the UV light is simply a question about the gear and it's capabilities and limitations. Curiosity you might say. When a UV light is shown, we do not see it.
However, the light does cause some things to fluoresce back with a visible response. I was thinking that this may be usable to us. Won't know unless we try, right?

Thanks for everyone's input, much appreciated.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The hogs can see the red glow. Many times the have raised their heads and looked at it. I think the only thing saving us is they are so used to the IR game camera lights. Of course with thermal there is no light at all.