Thinking about buying a new gun

Colby

Central Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Y'all help me out here, I've been looking at guns the past few days and I am really torn. 260 being probably one of the best deer rounds out there or this 240 weatherby magnum that has really caught my eye.
If I buy a 240 it will probably be in a weatherby vanguard and I'll put me a fancy wood stock on it to make it look good! I know weatherby promises a 1" group but if I buy a rifle I want something that will shoot good. I'm at that age where I'm starting to like a gun that all 3 shots will touch. Not this 2" group at 100 yards stuff. I don't know I really don't need another gun but I've been the legal age for 10 months now and haven't bought one so it needs to change! Plus this 240 has really got me wondering

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Several thoughts re. the 240Wby Mag. ---> 1. BRASS...OUCH !! 2. Dies....kinda ouch ! 3. Bullets....any "heavy" (85gr+)that is well made should do it. Personally,at the speeds that you will be able to drive these bullets,I would pick a solid copper or NosPart. If you will put a NVD on the weapon...consider the recoil.

I believe that the Weatherby guarantee is 1.5" at 100yds. I would be hard pressed to believe that the Vanguard series(from WalMart,etc) would do this. You just might have to go up in the Weatherby model to get the quality of bbl,stock,trigger,etc. Take a look at the "Back Country".

I have owned two different Weatherby's. I still own an Accumark chambered in 30-378Wby Mag. It shoots great. --- pruhdlr
EDIT ---> Just checked the WBY site. They are stateing under MOA guarantee now on their cheapest Venguard.

Last edited:

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I'm with TLM. Stick with a widely available caliber. From your caliber option it looks like you want a lighter recoiling round. What about a .270 in a Remington 700? I know they are accurate if you don't buy the bottom model. Lots of bullets to pick from, brass is plentiful, and they have a flat trajectory. Just my personal opinion when it comes to a lighter recoiling bolt gun.

My next bolt gun will be a 18-20" .308 with the barrel threaded. Wood stock and glass bedded. Not sure on the make/model yet.

histopicker

St. George, Utah
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Colby, the performance of the 240 Weatherby is better than the .243 Winchester but dead is dead. The cost of the Weatherby ammo will be at least twice that of the .243. In all honesty if I were to buy a new bolt rifle I would be looking at the 260 or a .308. in a lighter weight model. Grouping shots on paper at any distance is fun, I have done a lot of that, but what really matters is knowing where the first shot is going to go.

Colby

Central Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That's another one I've looked at too is a 308 in a Remington 700 BDL or CDL. I've always been the type of person that wants some unique though. This will just be a deer rifle so I'm not concerned on ammo because it will only be shot a handful times a year. And no offensive to y'all 270 guys but that round is a
joke. (Bash me now!) lol but no seriously I have a 30-06 soon need for a 270

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
My only need for a bolt gun is for distance which I really don't have the need for at this time. Since I would only own one, just because, I would be all over a .308...the 270 might be a good compromise. Cheap and available factory ammo would be my choice. Hey Colby, you are young and have plenty of time to try different combos, sounds like fun to me!

histopicker

St. George, Utah
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That's another one I've looked at too is a 308 in a Remington 700 BDL or CDL. I've always been the type of person that wants some unique though. This will just be a deer rifle so I'm not concerned on ammo because it will only be shot a handful times a year. And no offensive to y'all 270 guys but that round is a
joke. (Bash me now!) lol but no seriously I have a 30-06 soon need for a 270
I am so shocked over your reply about a .270! I can't even form a what are you thinking response right now.
If you are not concerned about ammo cost or scratching up a beautiful rifle then the 240 should be for you, or even a 257 Weatherby.

Aspp

Central California
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Colby, you wont be disappointed in the 240. It will work for almost any north American game (sans the big bears and maybe moose). I know a lot of the people over at Weatherby, since they are HQ'd in my home town and a couple family members work over there.... Any of their Vanguard 2 line or the X line will be right up your alley. If you really want a shooter, get a Range Certified (RC) model.

hdfireman

Blackstone Arms
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Colby,
It depends on what you are wanting to do with it. I built a custom .243 that is a 1/4 MOA gun and reaches out to 1000 yards but I don't hunt big game. Biggest draw back to a 243 is barrel life, it's shorter than most. When I shoot it out I will re-barrel in a 260. It is flat like the 243 but heavier. If you are looking for a good out of the box gun you can't beat a Remington mil-spec 5R in 308. I think they are the most accurate rifles right out of the box. If not build a custom exactly how you want it. You can give me a shout if you want.

Aspp

Central California
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Colby,
It depends on what you are wanting to do with it. I built a custom .243 that is a 1/4 MOA gun and reaches out to 1000 yards but I don't hunt big game. Biggest draw back to a 243 is barrel life, it's shorter than most. When I shoot it out I will re-barrel in a 260. It is flat like the 243 but heavier. If you are looking for a good out of the box gun you can't beat a Remington mil-spec 5R in 308. I think they are the most accurate rifles right out of the box. If not build a custom exactly how you want it. You can give me a shout if you want.
Ill argue that Remington is the most accurate out of the box. Savage has proven to me that as a whole, their guns are shooters from day 1 no messing around. They are not as pretty, but they are damn accurate. I put a scope on a 30-06 for a friend 2 months ago that shot factory 180gr Winchester PSPs into an honest 5/8" 5 shot group. Hes shooting sub-1/2" groups with his barnes handloads. 3 other guns I have shot recently were in the same ballpark. Remington has had some major quality control issues over the last few years, so while a few people get good shooters, a few get so-so guns, and a few get junk. I used to be a big Remington fan, but not anymore. Get an Accutrigger savage and you will spend less for a much better gun, and if you don't like the caliber, you can change it out yourself.

Ident Marking

Rockwall, Texas
Vendor
Ill argue that Remington is the most accurate out of the box. Savage has proven to me that as a whole, their guns are shooters from day 1 no messing around. They are not as pretty, but they are damn accurate. I put a scope on a 30-06 for a friend 2 months ago that shot factory 180gr Winchester PSPs into an honest 5/8" 5 shot group. Hes shooting sub-1/2" groups with his barnes handloads. 3 other guns I have shot recently were in the same ballpark. Remington has had some major quality control issues over the last few years, so while a few people get good shooters, a few get so-so guns, and a few get junk. I used to be a big Remington fan, but not anymore. Get an Accutrigger savage and you will spend less for a much better gun, and if you don't like the caliber, you can change it out yourself.

Not just any Remington Aspp, talking the mil-spec 5r .308 only. I agree Savage is an accurate gun and that rem has quality issues currently but I have personally shot 2 of the mil-spec's and both were sub 1/2". If wanting accuracy below 1/2 MOA then I say build it. The .243 I just got done has done 1/4 MOA out to 750 so far.

-hd

Last edited:

histopicker

St. George, Utah
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Not just any Remington Aspp, talking the mil-spec 5r .308 only. I agree Savage is an accurate gun and that rem has quality issues currently but I have personally shot 2 of the mil-spec's and both were sub 1/2". If wanting accuracy below 1/2 MOA then I say build it. The .243 I just got done has done 1/4 MOA out to 750 so far.

-hd
What bullet are you using sir?

Aspp

Central California
SUS VENATOR CLUB

-hd
I keep hearing about those, but none of them have ever made it into my area that I know of. I do agree, if you want a real shooter you have to build it.
IIRC, those Mil-spec guns are all range certified. Well, weatherby has the same thing in the Vanguard and Mk5 rifles, Ruger has it in their custom shop, Winchester has it in the custom shop, Les Bear, Kimber, and about 30 other semi-custom builders all have the same thing. Remington leaves a bad taste in my mouth, they have a real hard time standing behind their product. Then you toss in the QC issues and I advise people to avoid them.
What is the price on one of those HD?

Colby

Central Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Aspp, the Remington 5R is 1100-1200 dollars if that's what your asking