They set me free this weekend! 16 hogs down!!! (Very Long Read)

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
My in laws came home from vacation this weekend, my mother in law wanted to stay with my wife. But my father in law needed to get home to do some work. So who gets to take him and hunt for the night TLM!!!!

I get down there check in with the neighboring rancher and he shows me where the hogs have been rooting up the place. Its amazing not one single hog has rooted on this property in almost two years. I stop hunting it for two months and they come back with a vengeance. There is a storm a brewing and it looks to be an interesting night. But this is my one hunting trip for several weeks nothing is going to slow me down. Here are a couple pics of the storm blowing in.

I get geared up and head out to the neighbor's place. It does not take 15 minutes to run into the first hogs. A group of three chowing down on acorns. Set the thermal on a tripod hit record and the stalk is on. I get to about 40 yards and can only see one hog but I can hear the other two in the brush, after waiting twenty minutes for them to come out I give up and shot the one I can see pop flop DRT. Now I see the other two they ran around and came out about 100 yards farther down. I take a shot on the lead pig pop thud he rolls, but I loose sight of the third. Walked back to the truck and drove over to find the second one he was dead right where I had hit him both were between 100-130 pounds.

While looking at the second one I heard more pigs chowing down in a clump of oak trees middle of the next pasture. I could not see them with the pvs-14 but with the thermal I counted 8 hogs in the trees. There was a south wind blowing pretty hard with the storms all around so I would have to walk around and come at them from the opposite direction to get downwind. By the time I made it around they were done and moving out straight to me in a single file line! As Ratdog would say Zestay!!!! Made the decision to shoot the last hog so the thud would scare the rest away from the trees and straight to me. Pop thud squeeeeeallllllll it worked the first one is down and the rest are running straight at me! Picked a point and let them run into the eotech's dot of death. Four more down for a total of five, seven down in the first hour!

Now its started to drizzle the wind has picked up more and the thunder and lightning are really close. So I run back to the truck and head to my in laws place 30 minutes down the road hoping to beat the storm. Just as I pull onto the property the bottom falls out and sheets of rain are coming down. I feel cold water running down my back inside my truck huh?? The sunroof is leaking great I pull into the barn to check it out and wait out the heavy rain. Turned out to be a leaf blocking the sunroof drain easy fix!

Figured while I'm sitting here might as well scan the fields. Pull out a camp chair and get comfy the lightning was quite a show with the night vision and the thermal cut right through the rain. Just as I get relaxed from the sound of rain hitting the metal roof the instrument lights and radio come on inside the tractor!!!! To top it off the radio is playing John Denver Rocky mountain high.... That's the song that plays every time someone dies in the move final destination. Can you say CREEEPY!!!! Now I'm not one to normally be scared but have to say even armed to the teeth I had goose bumps. After working up the nerve to open the tractor door and turn the radio off the dang thing was locked. I had to call my father in law to get the key so the battery would not run down he figures it was the lightning storm that caused it to turn on. But time for TLM to move on away from the haunted barn!!!

Now its just a steady light rain and I can see surprisingly well with the night vision I pull out of the barn and sure enough there is a single boar rooting not 50 yards upwind. Pop thud DRT he was about 220 pounds and now the kill count has climbed to eight!

Moving along about 15 minutes and spot another single boar rooting out in a field the wind is bad I'm directly down wind of him so I look around trying to determine my best approach when I see a big boar directly to my right!!! Crud what to do now???? Well the guy to the right looks way bigger and is only 40 yards away so his number is up. Get out of the truck the wind is howling, lighting is flashing, thunder is clapping, and pea size hail is bouncing off my ops-core helmet Shooter gave me! Take aim on the boar watching him fling mud into the air pop thud DRT legs up and twitch!!! Now I swing around to find the other boar thinking he would be on the run since he was only about 60 yards away and upwind. No he was still rooting away the rain and thunder had covered my noise and smell! Pop thud DRT now the kill count was ten!!!!

After looking at the big boy I wanted to find out how much he weighed so jumped in to the truck where my trusty cloth measuring tape was and drove over to him. This guy had destroyed the pasture it looked like the work of an entire sounder. He measured 46.5 inches so 265 pounds not to shabby.

I go back to the truck that I had parked in all his rooting and find the boar had taken revenge on me. My Land Cruiser had sunk while measuring him!!!!!!!

Now Im in the middle of a big field with the closest tree 200 yards in the wrong direction and the truck is sitting on the frame tires just spinning even without applying gas!!! Normally I would have to dig my way out but this time I remember the keys to the haunted tractor are in my pocket!!!! Its about a mile walk to the barn from here its still raining and lightning, hail is still bouncing off my helmet and I'm having the best dang hunt I can remember!!! I mean to me this is great stuff what an adventure! Since I don't want to stick the tractor also (been there done that) I just used it for an anchor point and winched myself out. Drove the tractor back locked it up in the barn and started walking back about half way there was another group of three pigs. Took aim on the center hog waited for the thunder to clap pop he goes down DRT. The pig to the right keeps chowing down the one to the left looks up but does not run POP thud squeeeal he goes down now the one to the right is at a full run! At almost 100 yards he turns and gives me a broadside shot pop thud he rolls and is done! That's thirteen dead hogs!!!!

By now I'm soaked to the bone, my truck is soaked with about a 1/4th inch water in the floor, everything is flooding, and I'm having a blast! Now the temperature has dropped and the truck window are fogging so I have to use the defrost. I spot a group of about 12 deer but something isn't right. Using the magnifier I realize its four deer and eight hogs feeding together wow they normally do not get along. I jump out stalk in but now my optics are fogged the defroster in the truck had heated them up. So I decide just to use the IR laser but when I press the button the normal dot is a bloom it had fogged also wow. The rain is pretty heavy again there is about 3 inches of standing water here the hogs are rooting and splashing around so I just walked right up on them at 15 yards I put the now bloomed laser on the first one and fired pop thud, then I dropped two ore before the laser was useless. Now its 3:30am I have a 45 min drive to the house everything is soaked so I figured 16 hogs was enough!

Sorry long story but I had a great time so much cool stuff happened I just wanted to share it all. This had to go down as one of my most fun hunts.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Unbelievable! What a great time and great story! We should all have such a wet sloppy mess to deal with. Apparently that song was about the hogs dieing in great numbers. Good job and good job describing it.
I left at 5 am got to my hunting spot and rain was coming down in sheets, couldn't see 20 feet this morning, headed home. Maybe I should have waited it out although 12 hours later it is still raining.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good grief, what a night, one for the ages. Nice hogs...damn your truck is a mess...good shooting...what thermal?....I bet today every thing is getting checked, cleaned and lubed..Good Job, Congrats!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Talking the Gun and optics, dirt eventually falls off a truck...LOL

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
He doesn't hardly clean or lube that either Frank.

Awesome story TLM! Glad you got your tank out of the mud. I think that thing weighs more than my 4 door 1/2 ton truck.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Oh Man, don't tell me that, I had him pegged as anal for a clean weapon!

Hard_ware

Here piggy piggy! Deep Deep S. TX.
Nice!

I have heard of raining cats & dogs, but first time it rained hogs :D

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Oh Man, don't tell me that, I had him pegged as anal for a clean weapon!
Frank I keep them oiled and run a bore snake through the barrels. When accuracy starts to drop then I do a good barrel clean. Of course the outside of all my rifles are either spray painted or creacoated!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
You know I have also started to do that, except I find myself breaking the BCG down as it gets pretty mucky

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
i see how it is, throwing mud all over my stickers i worked so hard to make

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
You know I have also started to do that, except I find myself breaking the BCG down as it gets pretty mucky
I have ultrasonic cleaner for that works great!