"They Came From Behind..."

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
...to quote a line from Star Wars.

The Hessian and I had spent the day down in Bosque County, looking at a relative's property and hog damage and on the way home, he suggested he go after the hogs at my place as they had come the two previous nights. His argument was solid. It isn't going to be raining tonight, but may all week long after that. Well, it didn't rain for our hunt, but it rained before the hunt and was misting the entire night. Everywhere we walked made squishing noise in the mud.

We set up to watch the feeder. Winds were SUPPOSED to be out of the SE and were for a bit, but then changed to being out of the NE. That didn't bode well for us. In reality, it was perfect.

While watching raccoons at the feeder, heard a grunt from behind. Got pivoted around and ID'd hogs. That is where the video starts...

As you could see from the video, thermal conditions sucked. Once all three hogs were shot, they disappeared from view. So we searched. Because of the vegetation and undulating landscape, both hogs were hard to find. The first hog I shot (195 lbs) and the first the Hessian shot (170 lbs) were DRT. The second hog I shot disappeared all together. A second search today did not turn up the hog.

The smaller boar got donated to the disable Marine and he said his freezers were full, but if we go out again next week, he might have more freezer room by then. Apparently, he is storing hog meat in his neighbor's freezers, and sharing the bounty as well. BRD will be happy to know that the bigger hog was donated to the Turkey Buzzard Preservation Society.

Last edited:

bldsmith

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Your Vid is Private:(

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
A sight like that (all those hogs) is best described with one word.... "Schwing!!!" Well, ok... M'be two words.. "Choot 'em ! Choot 'em !!!"

Kiddos give ya the happy-dance for warm cookies this morning? That third one... definitely looked like it piled up after the shot. I'm thinkin' you nailed it.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice Brian!!

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
I like it. Your second hog liked like it dropped right there. The thermal still looks good in the video.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I do not think the Hessians hog was DRT. You can see the bullet wound half way up and a little far back in the shoulder on that second hog. I slowed the slow motion part down and watched frame by frame he is leaking blood out as he runs.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
TLM, I do believe you are correct! I had missed the blood spot. I blame the rain and 2 hours sleep in two days, LOL. That would account for not finding the mythical 3rd hog.

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Dang!!!, that was a mess of hogs and a couple biguns in there too. Nice going guys!!! BANG BANG!!

PS: So you got rear ended??

Last edited:

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Very nice! We got huge storms through here last night. You guys look like it was pretty nice there comparatively.

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good shooting and nice hogs down.

Lancer

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I love your videos! That was a nice group of hogs, good shooting.

bldsmith

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yup, nice videos as usual. Youtube was on holiday.

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Lee Ermy voice - OUTSTANDING!

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That was a mess of hog flesh. Great shooting!