The Nut Usually Doesn't Fall Far From the Tree

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Many moons ago, while living in Alaska, I came to Seattle for vacation. A good friend of mine had been awarded the contract to do some repairs on a lodge... on a privately owned island... stocked with 03 species of game: Sika Deer, Fallow Deer, and Mouflon Sheep. His deal with the owners were, compensate the lower dollar bid with the opportunity for the crew to come back and hunt "non-trophy" class of the stock. Well... I was all over that plan of attack !

After a drive by truck, a ferry ride to a neighboring island, and a shuttle boat ride to the island of destination... we stayed in the lodge (while putting a new roof on it) and watched the game animals from the hot tub at night while resting our bones.

Months later, when I was gonna be in town for another couple of weeks, we scheduled a hunt, took the same route, and this time, got to take two animals each (non-trophy culling). Being meat hunters, this is most cool. Now, "Steve" (one of the crew) and I paired up one morning to hunt. He finds himself a nice plump doe and gives me the "head shot" call. I'm watchin' her through my scope when he shoots... and, she drops like a sack-o-taters from the 7mm Mag . We walk up on her and she's deader'n a popcorn fart. Hmmm... head's intact, not bleeding from the neck? Where'd you hit her? We're rollin' this doe around, not finding ANY blood/wound !!! I lifted her tail and find ONE drop of blood coming from the poop-shoot. The PERFECT Texas Heart Shot !!! Ewwwww !!! That's gonna be a mess inside !!! We found his bullet inside the chest cavity, it whirred around inside without passing between a rib, and just made a smoothie of her innerds. It was a mess to hose out, but we got after it right away, and the meat was fine.

Fast forward about 10yrs. Steve's boy (Aaron) puts the bead on a FINE white tail buck, lights one off, and his buck launches about 7' into the air (straight up)... comes back down and goes rodeo bronc on the spot. He jacks another round in and places a kill shot on his buck. They walk up on him... the boy'd blown the nut-sack clean off this buck with his first shot.

Sometimes, the nut doesn't fall far from the tree, other times, the nuts get blown well clear of the tree. I never did get the chance to ask the lad where he was aiming. My buddy told me about it, he was along for that one, I was in Alaska at the time.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Your tale from this morning reminded me of these two instances... had to share 'em. LOL

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
HAHAHAHA! Good read RD