The Hessian Takes A Coyote

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

This was sort of interesting. Communication between hunters is important. We came across this group of cattle and we both noticed there there was a critter amongst the cattle that wasn't cattle. Pretty quickly, we determined it was a coyote. It was the Hessian's turn to go first and so I set up to video. There were 2 more minutes of video as I waited on the Hessian to shoot this coyote. I could see it just fine, though I had to move several times to keep it in view. All the while, I had a couple of cows to my immediate right (off camera) that were curious as to what I was doing. I could not shoot out of fear that they might walk in front of me unexpectedly.

After the hunt, we watched the video together and I learned that he didn't see the close coyote until nearly the very last moment. He has spotted a coyote off in the distance and was trying to get a firing solution on it and the cattle kept getting in the way. Fortunately, he saw the coyote that I was videoing and I got the shot recorded.

He missed a followup shot on a running coyote, but that puppy was over 180 yards away at the time of the shot.

My curious cattle didn't like the shooting. :eek:

Jhop

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Nice video, the Armasight predator doesn't look to bad for the price.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Very Nice. That wasn't the predator was it?

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The video was shot using the Armasight Predator, yes. The Hessian was shooting a .223 with some day scope (don't know which) behind an LWTS thermal weapon sight.

customcutter

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I'd like to see them side by side with a 640 core. But as a spotter or back-up I am impressed with the Predator.

That's not to say it wouldn't make a good thermal for someone entering the game. On the contrary, like I said I am impressed with what I have seen in the videos of it.

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice shot ... good dog down.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
LOL... Caught in the good ol' "shoot dammit, SHOOT" ! Nice that he clued in on the one up close.Nice chootin', nice capture on video too.