The big ones who did not get away

Wildfowler

Mis'sippi
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I posted a picture of my feeder with a large pile of corn the other day, that was one of four feeders that had been damaged and relieved of all their contents over the last two months. Apparently we had a super hog that found its way onto our place. I have another picture of this hog standing on his hind legs eating corn off of the spinning plate.

I am happy to report that he is no longer among the living. I watched my buddy shoot this one execution style at about 9 PM last Wednesday.

image_zps4e9ff09b.jpg

We measured him and he was 50.5 inches around the girth. This was our biggest kill to this date.

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Over 300 lbs, what a bruiser, got a full pic of him and the standing on his hind legs? Good job!

Wildfowler

Mis'sippi
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Last fall, and a rare morning hunt for me, I had just shot three piglets who came into a different feeder on another property.

I had systematically been killing off the whole family starting with the sow. There were nine piglets with her on trail camera and miraculously they kept coming back to the same feeder. Over the next few weeks I made it my mission to eliminate all traces of that big family from the property.

Anyway on this morning I got three of them at once. It had rained dogs and cats the night before and everything was extremely muddy particularly the recently plowed corn field that was adjacent to the location of a feeder of mine.

It was so foggy that morning, while walking out I was not even able to see the road where I left my truck parked. I heard a car traveling down the road and looked up to see two large black objects running towards me evidently's having been spooked by the sound of the vehicle approaching.

For over a year now I have yet to connect to running hog with a rifle. But today's the day, I took my time swinging the gun as if I were shooting a dove with a shotgun, put the crosshairs on the nose of the lead boar and squeeze the trigger. Amazingly this worked. Not only did it work but I dropped this sucker in its tracks, while running at 75 yards with my 300 blackout.

2012-11-28073422.jpg

I thought to myself, wow I can really do this. I followed the same lead, crosshairs on the nose, squeeze the trigger without losing any swing of the rifle and watched the second boar buckle and drop to its knees. The second animal was on it's back kicking around so I went ahead and plugged him again to be sure to keep them there.

2012-11-28073433.jpg

The first three were small enough that I could carry them with one hand at the same time.

2012-11-28071235.jpg

These were too heavy for me to load by myself, lucky for me I always carry a tow strap. I have no idea what these two weighed because I tried to hoist them up at the same time to get them loaded in the back of my pick up and broke the winch. This actually caused a severe injury to my face. It's split my upper lip and chin wide open, I had to go to the plastic surgeon for repair.

2012-11-28080012.jpg

Five, for one mornings hunt was not too bad. In spite of the injury, it was worth it.

Last edited:

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Another great job...good shooting!

Aspp

Central California
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Great story, grats! Remember, scars are just tattoos with better stories attached!

Wildfowler

Mis'sippi
SUS VENATOR CLUB
image_zps37ae17c9.jpg

We affectionately named this one "spot". He had been very regular here on camera at the same times, but he would not show up when we were here to try intercept him. He would either be a no-show when we were there, or we heard him coming and he suddenly spooked before we saw him, it was always something that seemed to go wrong while trying to get him.

I think it was back in April or early May of this year after four or five failed attempts to get spot I found myself able to go hunt my myself one evening. I've got a Texas boars style homemade red LED feeder light that I use with a dimmer switch that I can control from the ground. I set it up and headed dimmed down as low as possible.

Three sows came out and I shot the largest one. It was still slightly daylight and spot never shows himself until after dark so I decided to stick with it for a little while longer. About an hour later or 30 minutes past black dark I see a faintly lit object move into view.

With extreme deliberate slow operation, I gradually turn up the intensity of the feeder light to the minimum needed to be able to detect and shoot the animal with my traditional optic. It was only a brief wait for him to turn and give me that perfect slightly quartering away broadside shot to the heart. Unfortunately, this shot with my 300 blackout only made him mad and he turned and charged straight for my position some 45 yards away. But thanks to my cool head and calm nerves of steel I was able to put another shot somewhere in the neck which instantly dispatched him and saved me from being ripped limb from limb I'm sure.

I can say that spot was every bit as large of a hog as the first one that I posted in this topic that my friend shot last week. In fact he was so large that I could not even budge him with my shoulder harness that I use to drag smaller hogs back to the road where I can recover them. I can only guess but think that spot weighed about 25 pounds less than the one my buddy shot last week and that's only because the one my buddy shot last week had been eating several hundred pounds of corn over the last month.

See spot now

photo_zps365d932b.jpg

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
May I pleas ask....what load in your 300BO did you use to kill the bruiser in your above pic. I have a Handi/BO.

Great shooting and some nice hogs there. I'm still looking for one to have mounted. The hog in your OP would make a great wall mount. Congratz --- pruhdlr

Wildfowler

Mis'sippi
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Everything in this thread was killed with barnes blacktips traveling at 2200 ft./s muzzle velocity. The actual load is 20.1 grains of H-110, Remington 7.5 primer, factory AAC brass, barnes blk tip seated to magazine length with a light crimp in the canellure.

I have spotted skull mounted and my buddy has the head to be skull mount it off of his.

Here' spot. I didn't even know they had teeth on the front like that?

image_zpsa6801e0f.jpg

Last edited:

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
They have small teeth on the front but I have never seen anything like that, must have had a bad overbite where the teeth did not get worn down. Very Cool.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Spotty, we should all get a 300lb spotted boar at one time or another...never had the front teeth like that.

You trained that big boy by having your feeders the right height for him to do that, mine are higher up just because of that and bears.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Great tale to go with some good pix. That skull pic is something else. Never seen anything like that.

Aspp

Central California
SUS VENATOR CLUB
GREAT, we have zombie hogs and now spotted vampire hogs....LMAO!
Never seen teeth like that on a hog, but sometimes they do get a little odd if they are eating a lot of soft foods where they don't wear them down.

Shooter

Bedford, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
that skull looks like it is prehistoric-out of the dyno age !!

Wildfowler

Mis'sippi
SUS VENATOR CLUB
You trained that big boy by having your feeders the right height for him to do that, mine are higher up just because of that and bears.

Yes, there are two feeders we call the "blue barrels". Those two are the most remote feeders on that property. I will occasionally strap a bag of corn to my backpack in a pinch to keep them from running dry. If they were one inch taller I would not be able to fill them while standing on the ground.

Both blue barrels are in more flood prone areas. I'm thinking about setting a post and using a boat winch to hoist them above the water line and above the hog browse line. Simply lower them to fill from the ground.

Curiously, both spot and the largest boar from the first post were both killed under the "blue barrel north".

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yeah we use bear poles which are steel poles with a winch welded on the side or tripods that also have the winch, anything else can get dumped by large hogs or bears...always something isn't it?

PRyan1877

Roselle, Illinois
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Those are some really nice size hogs you are getting. Thanks for sharing your stories with us.