Team OinK launches new division with secret weapon

D

djones

had a little time to kill before hitting the regular spots. wasn’t expecting to see anything but wanted to tell the landowner that i checked it. i wasn’t even that careful pulling in, but as soon as i stopped to scan this guy was already there. i know he had to hear and smell me coming in, but i guess there hadn’t been enough hunting pressure for road noise to bother him. i tried to get closer on foot, but i kept stepping in holes covered by grass, so i went ahead and took one of those ‘aim high’ shots.

IMG_1390_zps5i9lpivp.jpg

next spot had two contiguous circles. each had hogs at their far south ends and one lone boar between them. i really wanted the big boar but decided to go for the herd that was easiest to approach. i was pretty careful but there were a lot of eyes. i guess one must have seen me driving up because they scurried off before i got close.

i went back to the other circle and got as close as i dared with the wind. then they started making their way my direction. i figured on waiting until the first one winded me, take it out and start on the rest. they got much closer than i thought they would so i went ahead and started the surprise party.

i thought i made good contact on several, and i could hear the hits, but they just weren’t going down. rather than taking out several, i spent all my time re-shooting the first ones... and they still nearly got away.

IMG_1392_zpsltbssdav.jpg

D

djones

now this was a cool hunt. i saw several pigs up ahead alongside a huge field. no moon limited night vision, but i was using an ir spotlight. still, distance was limited and hogs in cotton and milo stalks were hard to see with shadows. fortunately i was able to circle around and intercept them headed right for me. the plan was to go ahead and take out the left hog and stampede the others in the direction i was already facing. only problem was i didn’t drop the first hog. i should have just gone ahead and rodeoed the others, but i just couldn’t take my crosshairs off the first one. if i had some moon it would have been ugly, however i had to keep stopping, look thru the thermal and start the chase over again. i repeated that several times until they got away. as remarkable as it seems, i didn't recover any from that herd.

after failing miserably on the rundown, i decided to at least take out a coyote. it was more of the same start and stop business. the truck was doing all the work, but i was getting exhausted shooting so much. finally i got out of the truck and stood on the step bar to shoot. you can hear the shells hitting the top of the cab. i just have to rate how much fun i had by the number of shots i took rather than the animals killed.

D

djones

finally i got into a hog count worthy of getting excited over. two herds in one circle. the left hogs outnumbered the right hogs, and there looked to be some big ones in there, but the wind was more favorable for the right ones. i moved in on the smaller herd and got close enough that i really didn’t think it was out of the question to kill all of them. what a joke. got one hog out of that herd, and i even had to come back to finish him off! actually, in the thrill of it all, i forgot about the running hog that took a good hit, and i didn’t look for him.

IMG_1404_zpsq5csdgza.jpg

D

djones

i pulled into the corner of a field to scan and saw hogs just coming in. they were already pretty close, but when they entered, they turned my way and were coming even closer. i’m a shark smelling blood in the water now. i’m thinking surely i can kill half a dozen or more of these. just keep on comin. i wanted them to run left since the county road was just on the right. when the rightmost pig widened the gap between himself and the herd, i shot him and most did run left and i acquired them easily. didn’t even need any zoom. it really was setup perfectly for a massive body count. i hammered away seeing and hearing pig after pig get hit. i negotiated the pivot expertly and still beat down several runners. but i wasn’t done... more and more shots until i saw the other county road. not that i break any laws anyway, but i’ve come to gain the game warden’s trust and it would only take one stupid thing like this to lose it forever, so i stopped firing like a responsible hunter.

i hopped back in the truck and chased after them. i killed the lights when i hit the milo stalks but was still limited on how far i could see with the pvs. this turned into a repeat of the prior rundown. stop, look, chase and repeat. i got more shots but never could get quite close enough. then i just hung out the window with the rifle, steered with my knees and tracked them with the rifle scope. yea... that’s what i’m looking for.

to be continued in next vid.....

IMG_1406_zpszcfarbpd.jpg

i chased him all the way to the cotton field. when i got within range, i laid the thermal/rifle setup on the console, reached over to the passenger seat and grabbed the secret weapon... a 300 wtf PISTOL. yeah baby. now i could flip on the headlights and weapon light, actually steer with my right hand and stick the pistol out with my left hand. nothing makes more sense for a drive by shooting than a 30 round pistol. i had been wanting to test this setup all night and unsuccessfully attempted it in the first rundown. but i was on top of this one. he stopped just when i was about to start spraying. he probably hoped i would drive right by, but nothing escapes the p3x fury tac light. and nothing escapes the wtf at that range.

i hope takko and milkdudd enjoy their team OinK banners, because we’re expanding and i’m launching a new division called team wtf. i WAS planning on recruiting them, but forget it now. and i know lawdoggy wouldn’t have done that on his own. someone put him up to it. takko is certainly capable of sabotage, but that requires a level of deceit only the dudd is capable of. i’m afraid this will be going in your permanent files.

IMG_1401_zpsxtrax2yg.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
D

djones

yea scram. same setup, same bullets. my shooting must have been just off enough that i wasn't putting them down or wasn't keeping them down. it happens.

scrmblr1982cj8

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I'm just wondering if the .308 with the 130g Barnes bullets may be the way to go over the 6.8 or 6.5.

D

djones

308 with any deer bullet is a harder hitter and better killer. don't think anyone disputes that. it's too proven. but i really like this 6.8. it usually kills decently, it's light and omg the piston system!!! i went through most of 4 mags on the hunt with OinK and pumpkin head. before this hunt all i did was oil the bolt. then i went completely through 4 mags on this hunt. to date i still haven't had one single malfunction. i like to bitch about not killing all the hogs i hit, but i'd be bitching about something else with the 308.

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well,, if you spray anything with enough dirt they will eventually give up and die from exhaustion!! Fun to watch. Great videos and some dandy hogs you have there and a bunch of them. Ever want to thin them out look me up!! You do have a mess of pork there.BANG BANG!!

scrmblr1982cj8

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
308 hits harder no doubt but if you do a lot of stalking, I would stick with 6.8 or 6.5.

Most of my hunting is over bait piles. My friend did not renew the lease on my favorite spot, so the big field is out for now. If I had to put on a stalk, it would not cover more than a few hundred yards.

D

djones

not all piston systems are the same. lwrc put in some research to address some of the early problems. i haven't checked into it enough to know if it's marketing hype or not. carrier tilt was one such issue that lwrc supposedly corrected, although i'm not sure what that even is. the piston system in the a5 has a scraper device that self cleans the piston area. not sure if they all have that or not.

if you don't look at the 120 rounds i fired plus the ones from the wtf, 8 hogs isn't really a bad night. and when you consider about 50-60 of those shots were at coyotes that were too far and who knows how many at hogs that were too far, it's probably not as bad as it seems; although i did loose a lot of pigs that looked like they were down for keeps.

OneK

LSB Active Member
Staff member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
He does a lot better when knowing he has to ride in the truck with me and listen to me chew on his ass when he screws up. He had a free ride this time and it showed.

Good job Dr. Jones!

OneK

LSB Active Member
Staff member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Wow, a combination AK57 uzzie radar laser barreled double scoped heat seeking shotgun!