Suppressor Advice for 6.8/7.62

Jhop

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I've taken care of getting a trust. Now I'm ready to take the plunge into the world of Suppressed hunting. Big question is, which one? There are so many out there and everyone says this one or that one is the best. I had been leaning towards the Omega but after seeing that it was coming apart I don't know now. It'll primarily be mounted on my 6.8 but I'd like the ability to mount it on my M1A or a 5.56 AR. I'm not one of those guys who will switch it back and forth at the range or while hunting.

1. Durable: It has to be durable since it'll be on the front on my AR when getting in and out of my truck all night long. I hunt over 40 times a year, sometimes close to 80 times a year.

2. Light weight: I don't want a big heavy weight on the end of the barrel

3. Short: I'd prefer a shorter length suppressor to help out with entry and exit from my truck.

4. Sound reduction: It doesn't have to be the quietest one out there. Anything will be an improvement of what I have now. Which is nothing.

5. Cost: Not too big of a concern. Like they say buy once cry once. Although I'm don't plan on spending 2K on a suppressor. 1k or less would be nice not including the Tax stamp.

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
After I went back and fourth about getting a suppressor and I was wondering why I didn't get one earlier. Here is my list of recommendations for SS cans:

- Griffin Armament Recce 7: I just bought this suppressor few weeks ago. It's a good 30 cal suppressor for the size and weight. It's a about 7.6" and weighs about 17.0 oz.

- Silencerco Saker 7.62: I have this one as well, got it last year around this time. It's a solid can and backed by a great company. It's about 7.5" and on the heavy side @ 21.0 ozs. The weight doesn't seem to bother me too much when I hunt. I mainly drive and check fields but walk a lot to stalk hogs.

- Sig 7.62 SS: Not out yet but the specs look good.

- Specwar 7.62: Big and heavy can but very stout and one of the quieter 30 cal cans. Sometimes you can find them on sale for as low as 595.

I usually like to stick with SS models since I rapid fire a lot and tough on my gear. But if weight is a big factor you can look into titanium cans. They are light weight but it's also questionable how they hold up to rapid fire / mag dumps. Some manufacturers say it's fine if you keep it below 800 degrees, some other manufacturers like Thunderbeast don't recommend it. I'm not too familiar with titanium models and make but here is a list of companies I hear good things about:
- SAS suppressors: They sell a lot of short and light weight titanium suppressors. They also say their suppressors are auto rated as well.

- Crux suppressors: Local company near Houston, TX.

- Thunderbeast: Hear great things about their suppressor, more for precision shooting though.

Since you are in coppers cove, I recommend heading down to Austin and checking out the suppressors in person. Silencer shop is good to browse but they've changed their shop and are a distributor. Capitol armory is where I recommend to buy from, they aren't too far from Silencer shop as well. They aren't officially open on Saturday but just email them or call, they are usually at the shop working.

Happy hunting! Once you start shooting suppressed, you'll want to suppress all your other firearms.

Last edited:

JPK

LSB Active Member
I am waiting on two Omegas and bought and am waiting on an YHM 7.62 Ti Ultralight Tactical the result of discovering that the Omega is not rated for 6.8 shorter than 16". Oops.

If your rifles' barrels meet Omega minimums you can shave about 1.5" of length using the direct thread mounting option. The YHM only offers a flash hider to brake QD mount.

You can also save length on the Omega using the flat end cap rather than the break. However, a bud that has the Omega, and LOVES it really likes the break end cap for night time hog hunting telling me that the best feature is that it keeps the muzzle clear as he climbs in and out of vehicles of one sort out another, climbs between barbed wire strands, etc.

And don't forget that one way to cut length is with a SBR - but frequent interstate travel becomes an issue.

I should have my Omegas within a week or two and will post impressions.

JPK

Jhop

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
My 6.8 is an 18 inch barrel. Shortest barrel I have is a 16 inch 5.56. Barrel length restrictions should be a problem for me. Looks like, I'll have to drive down to Ceder Park and check out Capital Armory.

Wassman

Houston, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Since you have a trust now, you can file a form 1 via eforms and build your own SBR. My 12.5" SBR with a 6.9" can is identical length of a 16" rifle with a flash hider. It is a familiar length since I typically run 16" guns before.

As for which can, it is the age old question. Back in the day suppressor options where very few, now the options are endless. In addition the technology has vastly improved.

I always tell folks who ask this question to look at specific spec to help you decide. One the weight, since the can is on the end of you gun oz's make a big difference in the feel. Two barrel length and caliber rating specs, look at all you current guns that you want to suppress and compare in addition keep in mind any future gun you plan to buy or build (SBR's). Three length, the short the louder so pick a length you can live with but not going super short, there are can that are really short but they are really a upgraded f flash suppressor. The final item to look at is attachment provisions, I personally like direct thread cans because it is easy and cheaper to suppress different guns, QD is nice but it must have a direct thread option. This one is really up to you and what you plan to do, but keep in mind future guns you will want to suppress.

If you keep these in mind you will find a cab that will fit your needs for a very long time.

Jhop

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Is a taper mount a direct thread? Direct thread means to me the suppressor threads directly onto the barrel. But I'm not familiar with suppressor terminology.

JPK

LSB Active Member
Since you have a trust now, you can file a form 1 via eforms and build your own SBR. My 12.5" SBR with a 6.9" can is identical length of a 16" rifle with a flash hider. It is a familiar length since I typically run 16" guns before.

This is the reason I have two SBR uppers (one for me and one for my 15yr old son, or a bud if my son is not hunting with me.) One of the features I like about the AR platform for night time hunting is the handiness, which can be maintained while using a suppressor by going SBR.

My SBR uppers are an 11.5" Bison Armory in 6.8 SPCII and a 10.5" in 300 BLK that Engage Armament, here in MD, put together for me. With the Omega at about 7 3/4" QD mounted and the YHM ULT at about 8 1/4" QD mounted the OAL of the rifles won't be much different than the 16" versions.

I went with Ti suppressors to keep the weight down for handiness and handling too.

An eform Form 1 is an easy route to an SBR, wait times for me were about 3mo.

While I am no suppressor expert, I do know that direct thread means screwing the suppressor directly onto the barrel, as you suspect. Some suppressors do not offer that option, and the YHM ULT is one of those. There is a direct thread option available for the Omega. Both suppressors come with one QD mount, your choice of flash hider or brake.

JPK

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Is a taper mount a direct thread? Direct thread means to me the suppressor threads directly onto the barrel. But I'm not familiar with suppressor terminology.

The taper mount is where a suppressor is threaded onto the muzzle device. Sometimes it's called TOMB, thread over muzzle brake but it can also be a flash hider. It's a pretty solid mount and more suppressor companies are leaning towards taper mounts. SAS, thunder beast, and Griffin use taper mounts. The POI is usually pretty repeatable. Direct thread is what it sounds, directly threaded to the barrel. A lot of precision shooters prefer the direct thread since the POI is consistent and less weight without the muzzle device.

For AR use, I prefer a TOMB or QD for more secure attachment. But some people have had success with direct thread suppressors on ARs.

Jhop

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I went and played around with a few at Capitol Armory. I went ahead and bought a Dead Air Sandman S. The guys there were friendly and helpful. It was way too easy to take care of everything.

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I went and played around with a few at Capitol Armory. I went ahead and bought a Dead Air Sandman S. The guys there were friendly and helpful. It was way too easy to take care of everything.
Awesome and congrats! The guys at CA have always been great to deal with.

Wassman

Houston, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good Deal!!!!