Stinky, Wounded, First Thermal Kill

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

On Wednesday night, I hunted TBR in Montague County, Texas. As with previous recent hunts there in the last 3 weeks, not much went on, but at least there seemed to be more animal activity going on and I did briefly see some fast running critter at about 200 yards that probably was a hog.

Storms passed through the area, temperatures dropped from 100+ down into the upper 70s well before sundown and so it looked like it would be a good night to hunt. Checked with Mr. TBR and he had checked cams and said there was a hog on one of the cameras. So Angry Bird and I loaded up the truck and headed out for the evening.

Mr. TBR graciously allowed me to sit in my favorite spot (food plot) while he opted to hunt the feeder by the big dam which I have to cross on my way to the food plot on the far side of the property. Mr. TBR can hunt his feeder from his front porch or from a stand that overlooks that feeder and another feeder in the opposite direction.

Got settled in for the evening, ready to yet again try to get a hog with my new Armasight Zeus 3x 640 thermal rifle scope, or at least maybe get some video of some interesting animal action of some sort. Things can be slow forever, right?

About 2 hours into it and I have seen 2 rabbits. Mr. TBR has seen a raccoon, doe, and fawn. At 3.5 hours into the night of wonders, Mr. TRB bid me "Carpe Sus!" and went to bed. I had still seen just 2 rabbits, but had managed to fiddle with most of the settings on the new scope, play with the reticles and color palettes, etc., and comparing detail seen on trees between the FLIR PS32 spotter versus the Zeus. It was that boring.

Then things got exciting! About 30 minutes after Mr. TBR turned in, a raccoon came out and I watched him work the hay field as it hunted bugs and other small critters. That lasted about 10 minutes before it disappeared back into the woods. Then nothing.

So at 5 hours into the hunt, things pretty well sucked with the raccoon being the biggest game I had seen and so I packed up and started the long trudge back to the truck.

My normal routine after dark is to stop and scan every 10-20 seconds, usually doing a full 360 scan with the FLIR. Scanning behind me has only once netted me a hog, but you never know. The result is that a 10 minute little hike can turn into 30 minutes, but little surprises me that way (as opposed to walking up on a bedded deer or skunk as has happened in the past when I didn't scan properly).

I finally get to the big dam and am crossing it and can see the top of the feeder Mr. TBR was watching. The base of the feeder was obscured from view because it was on the opposite downhill side of the dam from my approach. As I got closer, I spied a white glow that was likely the salt/mineral lick under the feeder. It retains heat very well and I often confuse it (briefly) as being a critter, only this time it was a critter as I could see movement, but my view was still obscured. It was probably a coon, but I moved forward for a better check and it was a HOG! It was a for real HOG!

Now I had problems. The hog was about 50 yards away, the gentle breeze was blowing from me toward the hog, I was out in the open on top of the dam and if the moon peeked out from the clouds again, I would be very visible....and my shooting sticks were loosely stowed in my vest.

I know, 50 yards isn't that far for an off hand shot, but after airing out the last magazine on a single hog by shooting from too far away, I figured shooting sticks were the better choice and after seeing TLM's Primus tripod Trigger Stick, I had gotten one. I like it, but it is a bit heavy and large, though it performs as advertised. So I got it out and started getting it extended as a monopod while remembering to get the video turned on and trying to get a bead on the hog before it got spooked.

One problem with thermal is the difficulty in trying to see in 3D when the image is a very flat 2D (more so than looking with standard NV). As you can see in the video, I lined up on the hog for a nice frontal head shot that would have had to travel through its butt and entirety of the body to get to the head. The Hornady 6.5 Grendel 123 gr. SST ammo is a very good performer, but probably not good enough for that shot.

Fortunately, I had waited and the hog's movements revealed better its directional orientation and I got a quartering away shoulder shot that dropped him. The shot broke the humerus and did not exit. The hog was unresponsive, but still breathing and I put a 2nd shot through his skull from about 3 feet. That shot exited under the tongue.

Examination revealed a couple of things. The first shot broke the front leg but did the intended cardio damage. Pressure on the hog produce copious amounts of blood from the entry wound. There was no lung involvement with that shot as evidence by a bloody mouth.

However, the wound that interested me was the gaping wound about 1" in diameter behind the right ear. It was an old wound that while no longer bleeding, never closed up completely and exuded a gray goo. The ear next to the wound showed scar tissue as well. Additionally, there was a healed small scar on the opposite side of the neck. From what I could ascertain, this was a through and through gunshot wound, high on the back of the neck, that entered the left side and exited the right side, directly behind the skull, involving the external right ear. Pretty cool.

I taped and retaped the hog for the weight estimate, borrowed Mr. TBR's utility cart, hooked up the hog and got him hauled way back across the property for disposal in the bone yard. He was a stinker as well. Along the way, lost my tape measure.

In the end, the Zeus was a success. The Trigger Stick, even as a monopod, was a success. The video was a success because DaveABQ helped me with a proper and cool-looking MDVR setup for my rifle.

Last edited:

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
Way to go Brian. Glad to see the Zeus get it's first blood.

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
That's just awesome. You just keep moving up in the night vision world.

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
wow, nice cutters...was the wound infected, one you 2 had shot before, did you recover the bullets? Congrats!

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Nice job all the way around. Great video with the scope.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I was also glad to see the return of Angry Bird to the field!

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
Brian,
To get rid of some of that 'ring' sound when shooting, oil your buffer spring all along the outside or change to a Tubbs flat wire spring and still oil it.

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Brian,
To get rid of some of that 'ring' sound when shooting, oil your buffer spring all along the outside or change to a Tubbs flat wire spring and still oil it.
I think he likes having the ring. It's his signature shot sound. When you hear that in a video, you know its Brian.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Great, I have a signature sound, LOL.

Dave, the sound is the AAC300 Blackout 3 pronged flash hider making the annoying noise. It is a sort of tuning for effect. I can make them ring, not as loud, by thumping them with my finger. I am told that if I file down two of the prongs by different amounts, it will go away. I don't really want to file them down. I am afraid if I don't do it right, the sound may be worse in some way.

Here is a closeup of the partially healed wound and scarred ear. The back of the ear is on the right size of the image, hanging down. The hog's nose would be off the image to the right side. Somebody made a pretty darned good behind the ear shot that just didn't turn out right. Pretty amazing, and nasty. As you can see, it is a sizeable wound.

100_1990reduced.jpg

And here is a slightly wider view for perspective....
100_1988reduced.jpg

Last edited:

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
sure sounds like a spring ring....but the shooter knows best

that is amazing what hogs will live right through and heal up, yea that previous shot was high, and most likely not an SST lol, as it would have dropped

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I just googled the ping for the flash hider. Apparently, AAC 300 Blackout isn't the only culprit. The solutions suggested are to ignore it, cut the prongs to different lengths, or to let enough gunk build up on the prongs that they can't vibrate like a tuning fork. Apparently, I don't shoot enough. :p

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
you know looking at that wound it could have been an arrow, typically a bullet entry would be small unless that is the exit.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Frank, there is a scar on the other side that is small and healed over that I assume would be the entry. So I am thinking it is a bullet wound.

Last edited:

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
so it went over the spine, tough animals!

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
ZOMBIE HOG! Yep, thats what it is for sure. TLM knows all about those.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yeah, I wanted to poke my finger in the hole and see how far it would go. Angry Bird advised against this and suggested I go back to the truck for rubber gloves, but that seemed like too much trouble. The hog remained unprobed.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I am glad you took Angry Birds advice, you know He may need his own advice column...a stick may have yielded you some answers.

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
I just googled the ping for the flash hider. Apparently, AAC 300 Blackout isn't the only culprit. The solutions suggested are to ignore it, cut the prongs to different lengths, or to let enough gunk build up on the prongs that they can't vibrate like a tuning fork. Apparently, I don't shoot enough. :p

Put on an ************** Twisted flash hider, i'm assuming your barrel has 5/8-24 threads:

http://www.ar15performance.com/inc/sdetail/2121/17767