Sniper hog lights

LegendRider

Cross, South Carolina
I have been looking at Sniper Hog Lights ie: the Exterminator feeder light. Has anyone had any experience in using their feeder light. I see they are a Texas base company and they have several video's on the Exterminator light. The light may be an better alternative than purchasing a Digital Scope (N750) or a NVS Scope. What color light would be the best? I'm currently using Game Spotter Light (Green). I have found that sometimes the hogs seem to be more alert when hit with the Green light & leave. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. I have till next March before I can to start to hunt at night again here in SC. What a Bummer!!!! Thanks - Glenn

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
you talking about the solar or the flashlight on the weapon? I use both, my solar not as effective as theirs but works and is much cheaper. A weapons mounted kill light? I got them too...just cannot afford NV or thermal and for what I do don't need it.

LegendRider

Cross, South Carolina
I'm talking/inquiring about the Exterminator Feeder Light. This is the light that is Solar Power with 3 small LED lights. I currently have a weapon mounted Game Spotter light in Green that I switch between my 6.8 & the 308. Like I mention before, it seems that when I hit some/not all hogs they seem to to be more aware of the green light. On Sniper Hogs Light video's when demonstrating the Exterminator they always are using RED.

What I was thinking of doing is getting there Destroyer flashlight in Green & using it as a scanning light if I decide not to get the Exterminator & than use the weapons mounted light to actually engage the hog. If the reviews on the Exterminator are good, than I may spend the $300.00 & get one in the green if that is what is recommended to me. If not than I'm back at square one again. Glenn

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well Glen, for 2 years or more I have a solar powered light on each of my feeder/kill zone locations, they are white LED and have no problem shooting even without my green/red kill lights turned on that I have mounted on my weapon.

These are solar powered motion lights and because they are out there all the time the hogs are acclimated to them and think nothing of them going on and off. I have no doubt the SHL works and works well, am just cheap and each of mine costs $40, a more powerful one is $80, they work very well.
http://www.amazon.com/Sunforce-8215...6045&sr=8-1&keywords=solar+power+motion+light

http://www.amazon.com/Innovations-4...d-Floodlight/dp/B001U27N84/ref=pd_sim_auto_11

LegendRider

Cross, South Carolina
Thanks for the links. I'm like you...retired Vet.....just looking for a better way to kill some hogs. This was my first season doing this & there were several hogs that I some & could have killed that got away. Since here in SC, we can only legally shot hogs at night from March to 1 July, I'm looking at a better alternative & purchasing a NVS is definitely going to be the last resort. I have a couple of questions....are your lights pointed towards the ground at the base of the feeders or are they pointed skyward? Approximately how far away are your lights position from the feeders? Thanks - Glenn

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Mine are 40-50' from the feeder pointed at the motor. They shine at least 10-15' on either side and with a good scope I can see another before the feeder and 50' past the feeder. I am sitting it a 12' tower 50 yards from the feeder.
I use a combo Feeder and roll barrel and put them in line for the light, the barrel behind the feeder. After the shot I turn on my kill light to follow the hogs. But because they are used to the white light already, I can turn on the green kill light when the motion light comes on and it does not seem to bother the hogs.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Light on facing the camera away from where I am sitting

another location

LegendRider

Cross, South Carolina
Great pictures!!! I have 2 stands on the property with one of them actually were I can engage 2 feeder locations & all 3 feeder locations boarder the Santee Swamp. The feeders that I'm using are home made...nailed to the side of a tree...besides the shelled corn I also use ear corn to lure the hogs in. My stands are 20 feet in height and the distance to the feeders are between 85 to 100 yards. The width of my shooting lane maybe around 50 feet give or take a couple of feet. In your opinion would one light be sufficient or would 2 lights stagger be the way to go. Keeping in mind I have the swamp on one side & tall trees on the other side. Here are 2 photo's of 2 of the feeder location. Thanks GlennPICT0010.JPG PICT0007.JPG

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Remember as the hogs move they will trip the motion detectors, it they are not in the area your light is, it will not come on(unless you figure out a remote switch). So from the feeder back to the stand you could stagger several, but I tend to put 1-3 around the feed stations, we all know where they are going. I have all mine set up for a 40-75yd shot, at night that distance is what I like. The ones I use are cheap enough to use several and make the motion sensors overlap. They can be set to stay on up to 2 min a trip.

I also use lights that only come on when I am there with much longer throws, I can turn them on a dusk and wait or turn them on in addition to the motion light and those would stay on. What the motion lights do is acclimate the hogs to coming in, seeing light and not spooking. I take some 12V batteries and recharge at home or have a solar panel on site to keep the ones I manually operate charged. After the lights come on and I add a kill light attached to my gun, they are so used to the existing light they do not spook.

LegendRider

Cross, South Carolina
Thanks a bunch
Frank. I will talking to my partner in crime in a couple of days & I will discuss with him your suggestion about the lights. I'm thinking about getting a couple of them & putting them up at the swamp since we will be hunting deer there beginning in September & hopefully I can get some pictures of some hogs eating at nigh on the game camera with the lights on them. Thanks again!! Glenn

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
By the way, we cannot hunt deer at night, but they come in and are oblivious to the lights like the hogs are after becoming acclimated to them. Can't hurt, cheap enough to try, why not, let the experiment begin...LOL

Harris hawker

LSB Member
Legendrider,
I have a couple suggestions.
1. Elusive wildlife technologies has a badA$$$ little LED set up. You can buy a solar setup for it and it works GREAT. Without the solar setup it works on 6 C batteries, but they last a VERY long time!! It gives a green light and the pigs and deer don't mind it.
Also included on the light is a sensor so as it gets dark it turns on and as sun comes up it goes off.
Has 3 very powerful magnets to attach to a metal battery box or hangers to hang from the feeder.
Over all a great setup in my opinion.

http://www.elusivewildlife.com/products.htm

2. I also bought a solar light from lowes, 600 lumens.
It was $80 also.
Unlike frank, the pigs freaked when it came on, so did everything else.
So to combat that problem, I put red sulifane over the lights and taped it to the lights.
Now the animals don't mind the red light as much as the 600 lumen white light.

You can also see it from very far away, almost 400 yards, with the naked eye.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Harris, I had 3 of the EW round LED ones and all mine were busted or parts broken in very little time, also not much light so i had no luck with them. The feedlite seems to work ok though ...I just like the price of mine.
The white solar lights I have have been in the field 2 years, I would say they are acclimated to them. I am sure the first few times they came on the animals freaked out, but now they don't even look-up. In fact they are so used to them I can use a white flashlight and not even use my green or red.

I also bought some different lights, solar panels and controllers off ebay and the batteries are cheap, I use the 12V 7amp rechargeable batteries that can power the lights 7 hrs or so and I just bring home and recharge $14. http://www.atbatt.com/product/21692/sla/power-sonic/12v-7ah/battery

But whatever you find that works for you is a cheap alternative to NV

Harris hawker

LSB Member
I want to add this.
Having both is great!
I'm colorblind so a dark pig and green light is hard to see.
But with the solar light set for a 1 min Interveral, when something enters the kill zone the solar security light will alert you to the presence of something. And you can see them under the kill light.

If you do go for a solar security light a few things to watch for.

It takes 4 days for initial charge, so buy Monday and setup out back and let it charge.
When I had my light set up a deer came in at 10:30 and ate under the feeder, it kept the light on for 20 straight minutes. It promptly died.
The solar battery is good for maybe 1/2 hour or so.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Have you guys ever thought of putting a plywood background behind your feeder and painting it white? Make the hogs stand out.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Harris, the ones I put the link up for work almost 4-6 hrs, they have a 1 min and 2 min switch. I think the one you got may be alot brighter than mine ... mine use LEDS with little draw. But yeah you should fully charge before putting out. In fact I mount mine to a board and set outside in the off position, then when i take them to the lease they are charged and also easy to hang on a tree already set up.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
TLM, I did that once where I could but now it is not practical...in fact 1 year I got that white flocking during Christmas and flocked all the bushes...LOL

Harris hawker

LSB Member
Harris, I had 3 of the EW round LED ones and all mine were busted or parts broken in very little time, also not much light so i had no luck with them. The feedlite seems to work ok though ...I just like the price of mine.
The white solar lights I have have been in the field 2 years, I would say they are acclimated to them. I am sure the first few times they came on the animals freaked out, but now they don't even look-up. In fact they are so used to them I can use a white flashlight and not even use my green or red.

I also bought some different lights, solar panels and controllers off ebay and the batteries are cheap, I use the 12V 7amp rechargeable batteries that can power the lights 7 hrs or so and I just bring home and recharge $14. http://www.atbatt.com/product/21692/sla/power-sonic/12v-7ah/battery

But whatever you find that works for you is a cheap alternative to NV

No doubt!!
I could buy 500 EW led lights before it cost more than NV!! Have the ranch looking like a freakin alien ship is landing in the pasture with that many green lights!!
Or the worlds biggest luau!!

The battery, you just replaced the stock battery with the new one?!

Your right, over time they don't care.

As far as my EW light, I love it so far, but I will agree the green isn't very bright overall.

Funny thing about the flashlight, before we had green lights at the ranch, the pigs were never phased by a normal flash light. But the 600 lumen security light was an issue.
That was a head scratcher.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have not had to replace my batteries yet, the one I linked to are the ones I home make a light setup with. They are the same as a generator ele start and house alarm battery. I am thinking the 600 lumen may be a little too bright for them, that or move it further away from where you are targeting. Mine are more like a 40W light bulb, but plenty to target a hog thru a scope.