Recommend me a Thermal rifle scope under $3k

Brazos_Jack

I started the thread asking for ecommendations for a night vision scope under $2k. Almost all responses were "wait, save up more, go thermal".

So, what's the best thermal scope or clip on under $3k? I want to get a thermal scope for hunting hogs with my 6.8 SPC AR. I'd like a little magnification. Something in the 4x to 6x range. Even in daylight, I limit shots at game to no more than 300 yards. So for night I would be happy with performance to 250 yards. I don't need bells and whistles like picture/video taking capability or range finder. I just want to be able to see and kill hogs at night. Hunting will be from stands or pop up blinds. What is the best thermal under $3k for my needs?

Last edited:

Jhop

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I think the only thing you will close to the specifications you're listing will be the Pulsar APEX XQ50. It's a little under 3k and has 2.8 magnification.

Whosure

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Dont be afraid to ask TEXASLAWMAN he would be able to give you a good comparison on a variety of models that would meet your needs.

Rookie

LSB Member
Op keeps saying he wants something in the 4-6x range, but nothing suggested is in that range. Personally, I think 2.5x is fine, but I'll leave it up to the more experienced people to convince him...

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I will tell you what. I got to test out the prototype predecessor to the Apex XQ50, the XD50 back in 2015. I liked the package then, particularly the utility of the selector wheel. Pulsar made some improvements along the way to what is now the XQ50 and it really is a nifty scope.

I believe these were the first North American hogs taken with it...

Brazos_Jack

Op keeps saying he wants something in the 4-6x range, but nothing suggested is in that range. Personally, I think 2.5x is fine, but I'll leave it up to the more experienced people to convince him...

I've never been around any night optics. So I don't know what is normal. In daylight I usually use something in the 4x to 6x range. If 2.5x is considered fine by you that have "been there and done that" then I'm sure it would be fine for me.

Jhop

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I would say 2.5 to 4x at most is about where you'll want to be for a well rounded thermal. Too much magnification makes it hard for the close up stuff and range estimation even harder. Too little and it gets hard to properly identify animals. I know watching how they move or don't move can be key to what type of animal you're looking at, but not always. You need that happy medium.

Mel Glass

LSB Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I set my zoom on 8.1 then bring the PIP up and use it that way unless I have a lone hog way out. Killed 6-7 hogs between 170-200 yards with the zoom including three 10 pounders. It is nice to have three magnifications with a touch of a button.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I've never been around any night optics. So I don't know what is normal. In daylight I usually use something in the 4x to 6x range. If 2.5x is considered fine by you that have "been there and done that" then I'm sure it would be fine for me.
Most expensive part on a thermal is the lense you will not find 4x and up for $3k

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Another vote for the Pulsar apex xq50. It claims 2.7xmagnificatiin, but I think it's really more like 3.5x personally. My trail xq38 at 2.1x actually has more magnification than my Reap-ir 2.5x

ScottJ

LSB Member
I have the XD38. I didn't like the wheel... in that it was easy to accidentally push it against something and change the settings. I took off the knob and slipped a very small piece of rubber vacuum hose over the metal stem. Then I cut out the center of a gatorade cap, leaving only the outer ring of plastic. I glued that over the stem as a shield. I can easily use my fingers to use the knob functions but it now doesn't easily get bumped.