rechargeable batteries

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
ive been told not to use rechargeable batteries in my pvs-14 bc they can cause it to act up.
Main question-- will using rechargeable batteries in a CQBL IR laser work properly or is that also a no no??
In addition- anyone else with any knowledge on rechargeable batteries causing other NV/thermal products to malfunction?

Bob Abbott

LSB Member
ive been told not to use rechargeable batteries in my pvs-14 bc they can cause it to act up.
Main question-- will using rechargeable batteries in a CQBL IR laser work properly or is that also a no no??
In addition- anyone else with any knowledge on rechargeable batteries causing other NV/thermal products to malfunction?
I can't answer for other brands but my Pulsar HD39a will use a rechargeable battery pack that Pulsar sells and does not say not to use rechargeable batteries in the battery compartment. The rechargeable batteries in AA are 1.25 volts and the alkaline are 1.5 so you will see a shorter run time on the rechargeable....and I think this all depends on the MHA rating on the battery.

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
I use Tenergy rechargeable 123s in most of my gear. And for the first year I used them in the Apollo. During that year I had issues when it rained most times ... and an issue in an ice storm. All the issues involved the failure of the power switch to function. In May 2015, I sent the Apollo back to Aaron has it had gotten to the point where you unit would not stay powered on for more than 10s. He sent it back to Armasight. Not sure what they did. But after i got it back, it will not power on with the tenergies ... but it works fine with "surefire" 123s ... so now I only use surefire 123s with the apollo.

On **** website I note that many (all?) of the thermals say "do not use rechargeables" ... I mentioned to Aaron and he said one of the positives of Armasight was supposed to be that their gear WOULD work with rechargables. But for my Apollo on my land only surefires work now.

My theory had been to use rechargeables for "practice" but to use lithiums for actual hunting. But now I use lithiums in the apollo at all times. The lithiums last about twice as long as the tenergies. But I didn't mind that, it was good practice changing them in the field!

My c123 charging station has 4 stations:

01 - Ready to be recharged
02 - Recharging (in the recharger unit)
03 - Recently recharged
04 - At least one day after recharging complete (ready for service)

Aaron told me not to use rechargables right have they are charged as they might have too much voltage, hence the extra position in the "assembly line" to allow discharge time.

I still need to get a volt meter.

I also use the "big blue" rechargable batteries for some white lights and the t-20 ir illuminators with no issues.

I have a lithium in the CQBL, the one it came with maybe? I will try the tenergies in it next.

I do not have an AA charger, they all died. I only use AA in the 14s right now. I use c123 in COLR, PS-22, Apollo, CQBL, ATN and Armasight ir-illums, eotech and three different flavors of "flat" batteries in scope illuminators, strobes and beacons. The small chinese "300L" lights use AAA.

Now that Aaron sent me some c123 pouches, I can carry a set of SF 123 on left side and a set of T 123 on right side and store the old used ones in pockets.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Other than 18650 rechargeables for lights I have seen AA and 123 rechargeables run far less and sometimes not at all in electronic equipment. Energizer lithium seem to run longer than any other 123 throwaways and for $1.30 a battery that is what I use.

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Every thermal company I have spoken too do not recommend rechargeables. So I stick with Energizer lithium's that are not that expensive if bought on line.

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Thanks. Do yall think they'd be fine in a ir laser

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
I've done close to 200 battery changes with rechargeable Tenergies over the past 20 months with about a $40 investment (8 batteries and a charger) so I think they are worth looking at. There aren't for everything, but for the things they work with (everything but thermal for me) they can save some money. I would use lithiums for actual hunting, especially with others, but for practicing I don't mind the more frequent battery changes.

As to the CQBL-1, I'll be trying here soon so I will let you know if there are any issues. I don't expect any.

keatonskidmore

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I was under the impression that all thermals weren't supposed to use rechargeable CR123s. That's why most of them make an external battery pack.
But the new Pro line from Armasight advertised they could use rechargeable 123s and warrantied the use of them. Most companies void the warranty if you use rechargeables.
That being said I know rechargeable 123s have been known to have a lot of issues so I steer clear from using them. I buy streamlight 123s in bulk.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I was under the impression that all thermals weren't supposed to use rechargeable CR123s. That's why most of them make an external battery pack.
But the new Pro line from Armasight advertised they could use rechargeable 123s and warrantied the use of them. Most companies void the warranty if you use rechargeables.
That being said I know rechargeable 123s have been known to have a lot of issues so I steer clear from using them. I buy streamlight 123s in bulk.

Right. The rechargeable CR123s have far less Mah (600-900) whereas most CR123 LiON are 1200-1500 mah.

Pulsar and Armasight have external rechargeable battery packs (based on 18650s). FLIR uses onboard rechargeable batteries in their units.

Last edited:

Beacon22

Hog Hitman from NY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I had problems with rechargeable 123's in my Thor, switched over to the Tenergy throw-aways and never a problem since.

Delta4-3

LSB Member
Vendor
You should be fine with them in the laser. The reason you can't use rechargeable's in certain electronics is that they have a tendency to spike in voltage up to 3.7+ volts when they come off the charger. They usually settle down over time. However, if there is a voltage regulator in the unit, you are protected from that. They should be in everything, but they are not.
Anyways, if it messes up on you, I'll swap you out.
Thanks. Do yall think they'd be fine in a ir laser

Hard_ware

Here piggy piggy! Deep Deep S. TX.
You should be fine with them in the laser. The reason you can't use rechargeable's in certain electronics is that they have a tendency to spike in voltage up to 3.7+ volts when they come off the charger. They usually settle down over time. However, if there is a voltage regulator in the unit, you are protected from that. They should be in everything, but they are not.
Anyways, if it messes up on you, I'll swap you out.

+1 on that

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
The last batteries that I got for my ATN ThOR (CR123's) were $.96 each if you buy 40. IIRC about $.92 each if you buy 100. At that price I choose to NOT use rechargeables.

Buy 'em in bulk and split them up with your huntin' buddies. Win-Win --- pruhdlr

Beacon22

Hog Hitman from NY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The last batteries that I got for my ATN ThOR (CR123's) were $.96 each if you buy 40. IIRC about $.92 each if you buy 100. At that price I choose to NOT use rechargeables.

Buy 'em in bulk and split them up with your huntin' buddies. Win-Win --- pruhdlr
That's exactly what I did...

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter

JPK

LSB Active Member
The manual for my Pulsar HD 19A actually recommends rechargeable AA's. I have four to try but haven't done it yet.

UNV warrants the use of their IR Defense Compatible battery pack. I have one and use it with my MK II and it provides juice for all night use. I am all but 100 percent sure the pack has a voltage regulator and it is made in the USA.

I use rechargable 1850's in a couple of T-20's and they work well for the purpose.

Re the IR battery pack, it beats the crap out of changing batteries at least once a night and turning the scope on and off through the night to extend the interval. Highly recomended!

JPK

Wildfowler

Mis'sippi
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Can y'all put up some pics of the IR Hunter battery pack in action?

I'm wondering something? Does it have a provision for rail mounting? If not, can it be cable tied to the rail? If so, do you have to cut cable ties to remove from rail to re-charge?

I'm sure I want one but haven't looked into it yet and am wondering about attachment.

Thanks.

JPK

LSB Active Member
I'll post a photo sometime later today when I get to my desk top.

I have the pack mounted to my stock using zip ties. I was actually going to look at rail mounting since I am a lefty and my son is a righty and stock mounting for a lefty makes the rifle a dedicated lefty.

The pouch and cables that come with the Anker (sp?) battery allow removal of the battery for charging without removing the pouch from the rifle. The pouch is a MOLLE style pouch, so there is a strap on the rear plus access across the bottom which makes it versatile when using zip ties.

JPK