Reason to be mad!!!

Aspp

Central California
SUS VENATOR CLUB
So I went out Friday night for a slow buck/hog hunt and to check cows. There have been about 11 head and a bull that are making forays into the naighbors, not sure where the fence is down but they keep coming back for water so Im not too worried. But I do like to see them at least once a week to know everyone is ok.
So cruising the usual places looking for them yields no sign or game to look at so I take a ride to a property corner that is a PITA to get to. There are all my cows, and my bull looking like someone put him through the ringer. No clue who he was fightin with, but he doesn't look too hurt so I feed everyone, they make the usual racket that spooks everything within 1000yds.
Not expecting to see anything after all the belloring and clamoring around, I drive as much of the fence as I can, still not finding the down fence. Just as Im giving up, running out of light and everything, out steps one of the biggest Jackolopes (aka California Blacktail) I have seen on this ranch in 10 years! OMFHIOGDIEFOJSP!!!!!! So I kill the truck, grab my 6.8spc AR and step out. Take careful aim as he is facing away from me, right at the base of his neck, he stops and looks back over his shoulder at me, I adjust to make a better neck shot and pull the trigger. BLAM! He shakes his head and trots about 5ft before turning broadside and stopping to look at me. ****. I forgot to adjust for him being only 80 FEET from me ( and having the gun zeroed at 250yds), and split the hairs on top of his head!! So now I hold low shoulder and squeeze off the next shot, the one that should bust both shoulders and his heart/lungs. click. WTF you MFPOS?!?!?!?!????? Apparently my elcheapo coathanger brass catcher caught the brass halfway out of the chamber and jammed things up good. So for the next 5 min I attempted to beat my gun apart while this buck took a nice slow stroll to the brush 200yds away. The ONE time I don't have 2 guns in the truck. Normally I have the 6.8 and my 30-06 bolt gun, but I took the bolt gun out for some stupid reason.
So now I have a Tactical Brass Recovery brass catcher ordered, 3 rifles and ammo in the truck, and have not seen that buck again even after spending all day Sunday and Monday out looking for him.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
So? Was it the Chupacabra, or Bigfoot that your bull was fighting with? Or... was it that buck? LOL

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Is 6.8 brass REALLY that expensive ???

Nowadays I zero all my guns,including my 6.8,@ 50yds. --- pruhdlr

Aspp

Central California
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LOL! Im not too sure, but it looks like he gave as good as he got! His head and neck were all swollen up and he was walking like he had some hot coals under his back feet so I know he was pushing hard in the shale! My luck the neighbor will call me and say my bull crippled his bull and I need to pay for it!

Aspp

Central California
SUS VENATOR CLUB

No its not, not for a piece or two. But I am using my 6.8 in place of the 223 at the moment while I tune some coyote loads and that tends to be a lot of shooting. I don't have a big brass stockpile at the moment either, so its worth having it. I am waiting on SSA to run some more brass off so I can pick up another couple hundred pieces, then I should be good for a while.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

It adds up quick! The brass catcher is paid for in just a few shooting sessions usually!

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Sorry to hear about the buck I hate to loose even hogs.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Man, what a mess, I got brass all over my lease, if I find it I pick it up, if not I am making a clean kill and not worrying about it...on the range I just pick it up.

That bull sounds like a mess, he always causing trouble?? I remember riding and fixing fences, doctoring livestock, at my age don't miss it at all, a really big job.

Aspp

Central California
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Man, what a mess, I got brass all over my lease, if I find it I pick it up, if not I am making a clean kill and not worrying about it...on the range I just pick it up.

That bull sounds like a mess, he always causing trouble?? I remember riding and fixing fences, doctoring livestock, at my age don't miss it at all, a really big job.
Ehh hes not in that bad of shape, he looks rough but a week or two and he will be just fine, and actually pretty docile. His brother is usually the one to get upset, but you can hand feed both of them without worry, just watch your toes! They are both Angus bulls, and a little on the big side for the breed. This guy is about 2800lbs and his brother is about 2500, and both are only about 4 years old. I enjoy the work and lifestyle, but there is not enough money in it to make a good living at, so I have a day job too. Its something I wouldn't mind doing full time if I could find someone to pay me as much as I make as a mechanic, but that wont happen.

Aspp

Central California
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Oh, and if anyone has some once fired SSA brass floating around Ill gladly take it off your hands, the going rate is around .35/each.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That is heavy! Nice cattle. Makes it so much better when they are docile. I loved the ranch life when I was young.

I sold all my SSA/hornady brass all I have is a little of the federal i was sighting in the 115 and 90 I bought.

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
'Das a LOT of hangerber !!! I'll bet that battle was one to have on video.

Aspp

Central California
SUS VENATOR CLUB
'Das a LOT of hangerber !!! I'll bet that battle was one to have on video.
Oh its defiantly something to watch, but I bust them up ASAP as they can really tear up some country if left to fight. #8 bird shot from a 20ga at about 80yds is usually enough to get them moving, then some good dogs and a 4x4 to run them a little will usually break it up for a day or two. They have to set the pecking order so it will never stop until they figure out who is the boss, I just try to keep them from permanently hurting each other or ripping a mile of fence out!

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
You'd better rename them:

Expendables I
Expendables II

LOL