Pulsar Core RXQ30V

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
that is not even a comparison but no video out or SD card and they will not get my business, even though they are great and have good customer service. I also disagree about people wanting to record, there are thousands recording, just look at the hunting pages on FB and youtube in inundated with them.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Then Don't buy it Frank there are plenty of units that have video out. Surely there are people who just hunt out there. I have not used the scope yet, and video out is a deal killer for me. But if it's a 380 unit for under $2k that makes thermal affordable for a much larger portion of the population.

Terry

Texas, Land of the Free
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I hate DVR's and cables so haven't messed around much recording myself. When I get a XP38 trail in the future maybe I will start recording more. The cool thing about the RXQ30 is the weight and size of the unit. If you added the new pulsar scope DLOC mount it should make it even more compact and handy.

I'm very curious about people's feedback on the green display after some real field use. This scope will have a tough competitor with the new FLIR 12 micron boson 320 19mm 1.5X TWS once they start shipping later this year. If FLIR adds internal recording on their base model which should street price at or even under 2K then it may be a better buy feature wise.

Last edited:

Sidelight

LSB Member
Every company brings something different to the table, Frank. There will always be features that individuals like and those that they don't. On the models that record, Pulsar made the move to do away with the hassle and expense of external cords and recorders. Here, it is also important to keep in mind that the vast majority of the people who buy thermal scopes really don't care about recording and won't go to the trouble of figuring out cables and external recorders. Like you said, everything m̶u̶s̶t̶ should go into one's decision to buy a particular model. When your $200 Vortex gets thermal and recording capability, let me know. In the mean time, the only marketing flaw I see for Pulsar right now is that their success is ahead of production and the Core RXq30V is in high demand.

I agree. The way I see it, if it hypothetically came down to Pulsar choosing between a 30mm objective or recording in their sub $2k scope; a bigger lens is always the best option. Pretty much any functional decision trumps luxuries like recording in my eyes.

I have no interest in recording my hunts. I recorded my motorcycle rides for years, even some high speed track stuff. No one cares, and I only watched it once to check technique. I can't imagine anyone is interested in what I'm shooting either.

Everyone is different though of course.

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I hate DVR's and cables so haven't messed around much recording myself. When I get a XP38 trail in the future maybe I will start recording more. The cool thing about the RXQ30 is the weight and size of the unit. If you added the new pulsar scope DLOC mount it should make it even more compact and handy.

I'm very curious about people's feedback on the green display after some real field use. This scope will have a tough competitor with the new FLIR 12 micron boson 320 19mm 1.5X TWS once they start shipping later this year. If FLIR adds internal recording on their base model which should street price at or even under 2K then it may be a better buy feature wise.

I have used the CORE Fxq38 for about a month now. It is Pulsar's clip on unit that uses the same sensor, screen, internal features, and main housing as the RXQ30v.

Myself and a few friends have taken it on several hunts and 5 out of 6 of us really like the green tint. I find it more comfortable to switch between the green tint and a pvs14 compared to a white/black screenof most thermal units and a pvs14. It feels like there is less eye strain and I lose less of my natural night vision when I take the unit away from my eye. The green seems to make critters stand out better when they're amongst brush and partially obscured.

Randy

Iowa
Great report. Thank you for taking the time.

Question- On a coyote size animal, how far could you detect it? How far would you feel comfortable shooting it using this unit?

Thanks again.

Last edited:

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I would think the green would help keeping good natural vision at night and not be blind after looking thru the scope

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

I'm very curious about people's feedback on the green display after some real field use.

My first thermal scope was the W1000 it had the green filter I like it saves your eyes night vision some.

mdmorrow

Night Vision Outfitters
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
My buddy still hunts with a w1000 and uses the green setting 90% of the time. It works great and I don't think green is a downside at all. Like Todd said, it doesn't night blind you quite as bad as white or black hot, especially with the brightness turned up.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
My buddy still hunts with a w1000 and uses the green setting 90% of the time. It works great and I don't think green is a downside at all. Like Todd said, it doesn't night blind you quite as bad as white or black hot, especially with the brightness turned up.
There is no green setting on the w1000 it's always green.

Terry

Texas, Land of the Free
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Any new info or pics of the RXQ30 ?

Does it hold multi POI for different rifles or just one?

Does it have black and white hot modes on green OLED?

Last edited:

nathan koepp

Cibolo,TX
I'll inform you within the week on the multi poi, but from what I've come to conclude so far is that it will have the ability of multi poi.

Bighuff32

Any new info or pics of the RXQ30 ?

Does it hold multi POI for different rifles or just one?

Does it have black and white hot modes on green OLED?

It will remember three guns or three distances.
The display is always green, but it does have white hot and black hot modes.

My RXQ30V finally arrived Thursday. It took me a while to figure out the QD mount, but I got it set up and went out to sight it in. No problems at the range and the controls are easy to use. I went back out just before dark and hoped to find a pig or two. I took some photos with my iPhone through the scope. They don't do the display justice. Pigs were a no show, but I was 2 for 2 on head shots on raccoons at about 80 yards. I am very happy. This unit made thermal a possibility for me. I went back out Friday night and shot three pigs at 60-100 yards. Saturday night I shot a coyote at about 160 yards. I have taken the scope off several times and it apparently returns to zero just fine.

Sidelight

LSB Member
It will remember three guns or three distances.
The display is always green, but it does have white hot and black hot modes.

My RXQ30V finally arrived Thursday. It took me a while to figure out the QD mount, but I got it set up and went out to sight it in. No problems at the range and the controls are easy to use. I went back out just before dark and hoped to find a pig or two. I took some photos with my iPhone through the scope. They don't do the display justice. Pigs were a no show, but I was 2 for 2 on head shots on raccoons at about 80 yards. I am very happy. This unit made thermal a possibility for me. I went back out Friday night and shot three pigs at 60-100 yards. Saturday night I shot a coyote at about 160 yards. I have taken the scope off several times and it apparently returns to zero just fine.

That's good to hear. Can it take an external power source?