$#!+:-( NO VIDEO! What happens, why, when, where...

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Getting video during a hunt should be easy. What could go wrong?

Jake posted an example of the video cutting out when the cable became unplugged. Big Wooly Bugger | Lone Star Boars I think a lot of folks really have no idea what is involved in getting video in the field on rifle mounted recording units. So I thought I would start a thread talking about some of what I have experienced and then maybe other folks will add some of their own examples. A lot comes down to user errors. Some are mechanical failures. Some are just when $#!+ happens in the field. Probably the worst are some combination of causes.

User Errors I have done wrong...

Forgot recorder (back a home where I downloaded the video from the last hunt)
Forgot to charge recorder (dead at start of hunt)
Never hooked up cable to recorder and scope (left in shooting bag)
Had cable plugged in to scope, but not recorder
Saw hog while driving in. Grabbed rifle in a-hurry and ONLY plugged cable in recorder, not scope
DVR battery dead at start of hunt because unit got left on during previous hunt & I didn't recharge it.
SD card left at home
Forgot to hit the record button (most common error!)
Unit was already recording, hit record to record and stopped the recording before taking shot
Forgot to turn on Video Out feature on scope (happen with IR Hunter, but also an issue on ATN scopes)
SD card on LOCKED (done while inserting in recorder???)

Mechanical Errors

DVR died (broke/never worked again) during recoil (Angel Eye)
Cable developed a short (2 types, 1 where image flickers, 1 where vid cut out during recoil)
Scope cut out when battery compartment opened during recoil, had sound but no video
SD card partially ejected (handling issue noted with UNV MDVRs)
Battery would not hold charge after a year of hunting (Angel Eye)
SD card died

Field and Combination Issues

Cables separated in field (pulled or caught on something - using 2 cables to link DVR to scope)
Cable pulled out from scope (most common with RCA connector on old Digisights)
Cable disconnected from scope during recoil (Digisight, IR Hunter, Zeus - may be user error, hit in field, or ??)
Cable ripped from scope when snagged on branch (Cable ruined)
DVR smashed when rifle fell over in stand (DVR worked for a few more hunts, but screen unusable)
Battery in recorder run out of juice during all night hunt
Turned off video while shooting at hogs (repositioned hand & turned OFF video, UNV MDVR remote switch)

What have y'all had happen?

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Biggest one for me would also have to be getting caught in the moment and hyper focused on getting the hog and forgetting to turn on dvr/hit record.

I've had a guy that I let borrow my set up (back when I had digisight) who slammed the butt of the rifle on the ground knocking the sd card loose.
Since u have to turn on recording with the MKII and its new for me, I can see myself forgetting. To do that on the scope a time or two the next few hunts..

Video cord also comes loose sometimes.

It's always "fun" when people who have never used the equipment in the field, in the moment, in the dark, say something along the lines of "why didn't u check to make sure it was recording first" or something lime that.

Last edited:

Jake

Bandera, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I've had the photon shut off upon recoil due to the batteries bouncing. I stretched the battery compartment springs to remedy it but it happened again after leaving batteries in for months. Had to re-stretch springs. Wednesday night I think the cord had caught on something and slightly pulled plug out of scope so recoil was able to break connection. Also last year my cable plug developed a short because it is a straight plug not a 90*. It evidently got mashed and damaged when I set the rifle down on that side. Definitely a learning curve with recording but it sure is fun!

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Question... to keep from having to re-stretch the battery springs... could a feller shoot a dab of silicone sealant behind them to give them added support?

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
My issues are usually forgetting, like this last hunt. I also forgot to turn on the video in my IR Hunter but because of the vibrations of the DVR I knew there was something wrong and turned it on.

I usually look at everything, but, when I went out last week, one night I didn't even have the video cable plugged in to the DVR or scope, was in the blind for an hour before realizing it.

Oso Grande

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I've killed a couple DVR's.
Forgot the SD card at home.

I've gotten tired of trying to mess with the DVR and cable system. I'd ordered the **** GoPro adapter for the PVS14 planning on using it for my IR Hunter but it doesn't fit. I understand UNV has a different version coming out before long but I got impatient and made on of my own last night.

I started with a el cheapo beam splitter from ebay that's designed for airsofters to shoot around a corner using their red dot scopes.
Tactical Reflect Angle Sight 360 Degree Rotate For Laser Sight Picatinny W/ Rail
$34

Then added a GoPro waterproof case
Waterproof Diving Housing Case for GoPro Hero 3+/Hero 4 Plus Accessory New
$15

Couple packs of Sugru, I used 2 so far but will add more for extra stength
http://www.amazon.com/Sugru-Moldabl...?ie=UTF8&qid=1456508563&sr=8-1&keywords=sugru
$22

So for $71 bucks so far it works. I'll upload some video later when I get back in town next week. It works, but I still need to do some tweaking....
Also the image is flipped like a mirror image, but that's easy enough to fix in post processing.

1.PNG 2.PNG 3.JPG 4.JPG 5.JPG 6.JPG 7.JPG

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Oso that awesome!

I've had very few problems lately but last weekend was a disaster. My dvr shut off on recoil from 6.8 twice wtf? Then the rest were all new to this and either forgot to record or recorded at the wrong times.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Oso that awesome!

I've had very few problems lately but last weekend was a disaster. My dvr shut off on recoil from 6.8 twice wtf? Then the rest were all new to this and either forgot to record or recorded at the wrong times.

I don't know any of the DVRs that are actually recoil rated. Maybe you do? I am using a UNV and another version Dave got me from China. So far, both have held up well, but at what point will they fail? I don't. I figure it is going to happen eventually. You shoot a LOT more than I do, so maybe it is happening sooner for you because you shoot more?

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Oso that awesome!

What the hell?!? Our TLM, the man, the myth, the legend, is actually human. I'm so confused!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
TLM has a cardboard box full of dead DVR's and other gear...how did they do underwater??

Oso Grande

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Thanks guys.

The DVR's we're using aren't recoil rated at all. They're knockoff's of a DVR called the FPVJapan and they're pretty fragile as we've found.

Jake

Bandera, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Question... to keep from having to re-stretch the battery springs... could a feller shoot a dab of silicone sealant behind them to give them added support?

Good idea I might just try that. Thanks Ratdog.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The Japan made FPV have come down to the $150's from over 500 before the clones started...wonder if they would be better built than chinese clones?

Oso Grande

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Some of the goggles we use to fly the drones have a DVR in them that is bare bones without a screen. I'm looking into seeing if they can be purchased as replacement parts and made into stand alone more durable version. May not be simple but I'm betting it's doable if the parts are available....

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Watching this thread good stuff.

ZenArchery

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Cables are a night mare.... Now that GO PRO device is pretty incredible

Jake

Bandera, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I don't think they are water rated either, LOL.

Sort of like putting spacers on your truck springs?

Yep I'm thinking if I can build up silicone under the first couple coils where they don't compress it might do the trick. Probably put 2 blobs, one 180* from the other.

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I'm just gonna get the new X sight bc it has the built in DVR. Problem solved right frank!?