NEW ATN X-Sight 2016 Shot Show

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I got the below from a Dealer friend of mine as a heads up and offer to get me in. I declined as I have sent 2 of these back, ATN lies and release dates mean nothing to them, it has taken 2 years to get what they have now working, I have been burned by ATN. You on the other hand may be different, so in the interest of discussion I will post the below and interesting possibilities. I will give you the name and email of the dealer(a friend on 6.8 forum) in PM's only but I do not want to be involved or blamed...lol

Email from Dealer:
I was at a local show this weekend and can get special pricing, but more importantly priority ordering, on them this week before they are released at Shot Show. There is even a possibility of a free Shot Trak HD X with the order (while supplies with the manufacturer last). The new models are a 3x (3-14x digital zoom) and a 5x (5-20x digital zoom). Here are the differences per the vendor rep:

Thanks for looking at our X-Sights and lets see if I can answer your questions -
1. Main differences between X-Sight 1 and 2 -
Lets go with what the "2" has that the "1" doesn't:
RAV - Recoil Activated Video
Range Finder
Ballistic Computer (in June/July expected)
Turret focus
Interchangeable Mount Base - Prefer an ARMS mount, you can remove ours and install one, or larue, or etc.
Improved eye piece, improved resolution of eyepiece screen.

2. Literature on the new units -
Yes...and no. Our new web page and catalog will have all of the information on the new units. All of this (including a completely new web page) will be released at SHOT. Consider the BH show a sneak peak and early order opportunity.

3. Projected ship date - month of March.

AGAIN from the dealer not ME:
I would need payment up front and the understanding that these are not released yet, so you may be out that money for a while. The pricing on the new units is higher than the old ones. The 3x would run you $575 shipped and the 5x $600 shipped. If you have ANY interest, please let me know today although I may be able to order throughout this week. I have emailed the vendor.

Last edited:

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
you may be waiting a LONG time after my ATN experiences and especially with the X-sight

Homebrewer

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Please convey our thanks to your dealer friend for the early offer...
However,,, as we have learned from your past experience with X-Sight issues - I will pass.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Oh yeah, sounds great, don't it?? The first one sounded great, too. It still doesn't work as designed. I would not expect the next X-Sight to work any better or that ATN will do any better of a job meeting projected delivery dates. That the ballistic calculator is projected for after the release of the scope means that it does not work yet, and may never work, if the history of the X-Sight #1 is any key.

And oh by the way, they are employing the same system in a new line of thermal scopes called the THOR HD. Not sure if the HD really means high definition or not, however.

I would NOT want to be an early adopter of either product. That did not go well for the original X-Sight folks (like Frank).

Drift

LSB Member
I will consider buying an X-Sight ..about the same time a we can land on the moon again.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Oh yeah, sounds great, don't it?? The first one sounded great, too. It still doesn't work as designed. I would not expect the next X-Sight to work any better or that ATN will do any better of a job meeting projected delivery dates. That the ballistic calculator is projected for after the release of the scope means that it does not work yet, and may never work, if the history of the X-Sight #1 is any key.

And oh by the way, they are employing the same system in a new line of thermal scopes called the THOR HD. Not sure if the HD really means high definition or not, however.

I would NOT want to be an early adopter of either product. That did not go well for the original X-Sight folks (like Frank).
Yeah... but, you use binocs with different sized objectives. LOL (Ducking for cover)

Oso Grande

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I spent 15 minutes at the ATN SHOT Show booth on Thursday and looked at a bunch of the stuff they had on display. Not once did anyone walk up to me to offer any assistance or see if I had any questions.....

I first picked up some digital NV binoculars. With all 3 sets that were on the counter, I think they were all the same, not one allowed me to see anything clearly. Each of the three after some messing around with the settings as best as I could didn't allow me to see anything other than virtually a white screen. I then moved on to the thermal units. They weren't well marked so I'm honestly not sure what models I was checking out. However, I can't say I was impressed with anything I saw in their booth.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I heard their thermals went from using FLIR to Chinese cores. The X-sight is made in China, so I am guessing they are going after the cheaper consumer market now.

Oso Grande

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I heard their thermals went from using FLIR to Chinese cores. The X-sight is made in China, so I am guessing they are going after the cheaper consumer market now.
That's the impression I got as well.

Also, all the extra crap info just makes the viewable image that much smaller. Ok, I get it more info is cool.... But not at the expense of the actual thermal image!!

On top of that, there were lots of sparkling pixels. Not sure if thats a firmware or a core issue, but I wasn't impressed.

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
I can see it now, later in the year people will still be waiting for the promised features to work, that's if they receive the 2 by then.

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
Well it (X-Site II) sure sounds like it does everything but pull the trigger for you!!!
:D
Keeps track of the wind for you (er, after you key in your wind data?)
Tells you which way to go to stalk the deer! (can't image how it does that)
If you can turn all that "extra" crap off .. then maybe .. in the second go around ... they can get a basic $600 sight to work. That's about all I'd hope for ... that and a lot of buttons to turn off all the extra crap.
But if they can it will be useful for many ...
The Bushy EZ with the rifle mount almost works ... and shows the promise ... I'm sure the reality will happen one day.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The Gen 1 seem to be working ok now so if you don't want or need that extra stuff I am sure they can be has cheap.

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
I guess I was thinking "digital" ... but if you're saying gen1 tube weapon sites are as good/better then I'll have to pay more attention! I got some gen1 goggles 3 years ago and they aren't as good as my MKIEB as far as seeing at night ... though they can see those IR-Illuminators some folks use - a lot better than my MKIEB :)
The viable sub $1k night sight still seems elusive to me ... though it seems that digital is rolling fast towards the goal if not there yet ...
Maybe I'm wrong ...
In the mean time ... gen3P/L-3 night vision and main stream commercial thermal still work great for me :)

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
They are Digital... Gen 1 as opposed to the new model gen 2

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
Ah got it ... so you're saying the ATN X-sight I are working now? So instead of trying to continue to get Bushy EZ 3x to work behind a dot sight ... I could just get ATN X sight I and it will do the job? If I run it with a T-20 might I extend the distance? What distance should I expect with native X sight (gen) I ??

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
You need to talk to someone that has one and not take my word for them, I sent my 2 back. It does seem they have the right firmware now and folks seem to be doing well w them. There is 1 at our lease and he says it is working fine the 5x unit but there is a 3x unit which I prefer for the FOV. But yes your T20 is just what it needs and maybe 250yds?

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Know a guy that bought one on sale just a few weeks ago the 3x model and says he can not see anything with it and batteries only last 10 minutes at a time. I told him to send it back and if he wanted to keep it tell them to fix it or send him his money. As of last weekend he still had the darn thing, for what reason I do not know?? BANG BANG!!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Curly that really sounds like operator error, did he download the latest revision?

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yup, that was the first thing he did when he got it. I even tried looking at the darn thing at the range and could not see anything it was all blurry and you could not adjust it to much better than what he had done with it.. Told him to turn off all the stuff and it still eats batteries. Told him more than once to send it back, he gots one that does not work. I watched him change batteries and then when he was at the lease they said it eats them one after another???