Mysterious hog jaw bones appearing

jglass

LSB Member
I need help figuring this one out, I'm having hog jaw bones that just appear on my path to the tree stand. This began last November when I arrived in Florida and setup my tree stand. There was a dead and decaying hog just off the road, looked like road kill and the remains were 80% gone. Smelled terrible so I borrowed a shovel the next day to through dirt over the remains to cut down the smell. During the night the remains had been moved about 30 feet. I covered the remains with dirt and the smell was pretty well gone. Next day this hog skull and lower jaw bone appeared near the remains, fresh but clean. I thought it was strange, I didn't see it there the day before. A couple of days later another set of upper and lower jaw bones appeared but they were old and dried out. Of course the hog remains were uncovered by this time. I gave the bones to a friend of mine in the RV resort.

Ok, two months later I return to Florida and another lower hog jaw bone appears on the path to the tree stand. I saw it today, but didn't see it there yesterday. The jaw bone is fresh but completely clean and exactly where the other jaw bones were found. Could be from a hog I shot and lost last November. I walked back into the jungle to search for the hog remains that were there in November. Armed with my 1911 45ACP I searched for the remains and found nothing, absolutely nothing. I didn't expect to find much of the remains but figured something would still be there.

Can someone explain what is going on? If a hog skull shows up tomorrow I'm hunting somewhere else. Or I'm setting up a trail camera on the tree stand path. Practical joker??? Seems funny, I show up then the jaw bones appear.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Coyotes and foxes carry bones around all the time. They mark their favorite spots with scat could be with bones too I suppose.
I dumped 5 dead hogs out by the creek and 4 days later not a bone or hair to be found. The skulls and lower jaw bones always disappear from a hog carcass around here. I mean always. I find them scattered throughout the woods at some point and stick them up on tree branches for fun.

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Someone may have a favorite dumping spot nearby and the animals are leaving you a peace offering so you won’t kill them.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Years ago laying on the couch watching tv in the dark, my cat came in from outside and jumped up on me like she would do. This time she dropped something wet and heavy on my chest, remember this is in the dark, lol. It was a muskrat she managed to kill and brought it for a peace offering I guess.
By the time i got that thing off of me and got the light turned on, everyone in the house was awake and the cat was long gone!

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Years ago laying on the couch watching tv in the dark, my cat came in from outside and jumped up on me like she would do. This time she dropped something wet and heavy on my chest, remember this is in the dark, lol. It was a muskrat she managed to kill and brought it for a peace offering I guess.
By the time i got that thing off of me and got the light turned on, everyone in the house was awake and the cat was long gone!
That'll give you a good heart check.