My hunt last week...and adventures

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
Well what a week....lol

When I checked my camera's after getting to the lease I had all kinds of hogs on my favorite feeder, there were 3200 pictures, almost all hogs, and I had the camera set to take a picture every 30 seconds. There were multiple sounders hitting the feeder as well as numerous lone boars, including this guy which I hoped would come in so I could ground check him to see how big he was:

157047860.jpg

Tuesday night, the hogs came in from the side of me, I parked my ATV about 200 yards from my blind, and looking at the tracks there were 3 hogs, they walked over my ATV tracks and then walked right over my tracks, I didn't know they were there, they ended up winding me about 10 yards from the blind, when they spooked it startled me as they were grunting, etc. and ran off.

The next couple nights the hogs didn't come in, I would stay out until about 12 or 1, I have my dog in my trailer and it was hot, even though I had the AC running I feared if power went out for some reason it would cook him in the trailer.

On Friday, surely an adventure, a day I'll remember. First thing in the morning, I'm walking between trailers and run in to this guy, 2 feet away before I saw it:

157048056.jpg

Then I get bit by two wasps, one got up my shorts just above my knee and the other bit me right on my finger tip. Then the temperature got up to 107.1 degrees when I looked at the Oregon Scientific temp gauge. That night I went out and a thunderstorm moved in, lightning all around, and its raining good. I was watching the radar on my phone and about 11 PM I decided I needed to make a break for it the 3.5 miles on the ATV back to camp. I got soaked on the way out.

The next night, one of the guys from the lease said I should sit in my truck and watch some draws with the thermal where groups of hogs were traveling. I did, but the wind was all messed up, I moved 3 times and finally decided to get a good nights sleep, calling it quits about 10 or so.

Sunday night at about 11:45 I hear some grunting. I was at my favorite blind again, the wind was exact opposite of what it said on my weather app, but it was still ok if the hogs came from the creek bed. This is a picture from my blind to the feeder with the creek bed downhill on the right:

157047859.jpg

There is not much room for follow-up shots, but a great location for hogs. I was using my Thermal-Eye X150 for scanning, and usually look every minute or two. I hear the grunts, then hear squealing, I didn't even look with the Thermal-Eye, I got the gun up and turned on the Armasight Zeus thermal scope and hit the recorder on the UNV MDVR.

It was interesting, and you'll hear me talk about it in the video, the thermal heat signatures really show the color patterns of the hogs as some radiated better than other parts of the hog. Also note that most of sows appear to have similar color patterns which would indicate they had the same mother or father.

I discuss what went on in the video, so won't go in to detail here. I recovered two hogs but believe a third one was down, but I was looking in the wrong place. After reviewing the video, I realized they were much further away and to the left than I had thought. Also you'll notice in the video some horizontal lines and the horizontal part of the crosshairs is missing, they both worked fine looking through the scope, however their is a rendering issue of the video out, which I am addressing with Armasight now:

I still had a great time, temperature was way too hot, ended up with a couple hogs and got in some good testing on the thermal scope and other gear.

157047865.jpg

157047862.jpg

Last edited:

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Great job Dave. Good quality of picture there. Congrats.

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Look good and thanks for showing some of the properties of the scope before going into kill mode.

ZenArchery

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That piglet that got chunked up in the air is worthy of slow mo. Bwhahahha. That was awesome.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Very good Dave, Thanks for all the extra video, looks like you have a nice hunting area. Glad the snake did not get you! Looks like you have plenty of pork for another day!!

81police

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
that was a GREAT video!

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
Ya know, after watching the video and looking at the pictures, the heat signatures is not picking up the color patterns, that is purely heat differences. If you look at the sow I shot, the color doesn't match the video. I think that was like Brian had in his last video, the hog showed the variations of temperature well, but not related to the color of the animal.

So I was wrong, ouch, hate to say that lol, time to edit the video....again lol.

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
The Tau 2 core definitely does well on picking up the variations of heat where others just display them as one blob with some variation but lacking definition as my mind thinks it, which really can be seen well in the color palettes. I did record all the color palettes with these hogs, I had just cut them out. Editing the video now, and shortening it, gets boring watching all the hogs walk around that long lol.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I like all the observation of the hogs, watching their behavior.

dehoganator

LSB Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
That's cool video and a nice thermal .
Please repost how it goes with armasight on the issue's you encountered. Customer service is most important thing that i'm finding out about other companies, and the lack there of....

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
It appears the hogs had either water or mud on them taking away some of the signature.. Notice how straight the line is. Could be what we are seeing. Remember Predator.

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
nothing on the hogs that I shot, as you can see in the pictures above....so I think its hair thickness or something, just parts are cooler than other parts....or hotter lol, but could have been wet as noted above, but I didn't notice, but there is a creek below, just not a lot of water in it, but always has some because it is spring fed, just not deep

Armasight has been really responsive on customer service and called me within 3 minutes of making a request.

Last edited:

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Ya know, after watching the video and looking at the pictures, the heat signatures is not picking up the color patterns, that is purely heat differences. If you look at the sow I shot, the color doesn't match the video. I think that was like Brian had in his last video, the hog showed the variations of temperature well, but not related to the color of the animal.

So I was wrong, ouch, hate to say that lol, time to edit the video....again lol.

Great video Dave! Like you say it's not the color it's the mud packed into the fur, or where they have recently laid in water. On one hunt I had what I thought were two raccoons chasing each other in a field. After a while I went to see what on earth they were doing. It turned out to be a big boar packed with mud the thermal was just seeing his head and tail! Just like the original predator movie.

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
Lol, that had to be a surprise Todd. I wish I could hunt them like you do. Most of my feeders have so much brush and trees that it's really hard to get more than one or two once the chaos begins.

I may have to clear a few shooting lanes. I was in the truck one night because of storms, scanning the draws with the thermal as I could see pretty far and they move through them, but they rarely go out in our fields because they are old CRP fields and nothing much for them out there. I do scan them usually on my way out.