monitor for X320 video out

fanninland

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Noob question here - I've searched but have found little info regarding the video out for an L3 X320.....

I want to hang the thermal out the window on a monopod and watch real time on a small video monitor inside the vehicle. Not interested in recording for now, just for using when driving around spotting. The video cable that came with the X320 has both a USB connector and some other round connector (not RCA) on the output end. I've tried running the USB output to my iPad (with USB->Lightning adapter), but no joy since Apple doesn't want to play with anything that is not Apple. When my smartphone is plugged into the truck console USB outlet, it plays music and displays album artwork, so I was in hopes it would display the video out from the thermal, but it doesn't. Seems like hdfireman and some others are able to get video output to display on their Cruiser nav displays, but I guess that's too much to ask for in a newer model GM truck.

So my question - anyone know of a workaround for displaying on factory GM nav display? If not, what type of small, inexpensive 12v powered monitor can I use? Would this work?
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=9553086&CatId=4718

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I bought a 7" touch screen at frys electronics the kind you put on a headrest for the kids to watch in the rear seat. Then went to batteries plus told them what I needed a battery for they picked one and a charger. Went to radio shack for the RCA adaptoe and was done worked like a charm and recgargeble.

Also put the batteries and wires in a small lunch box size cooler and velcroed the screen to the top so it's portable.

Ncorry

LSB Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I've been trying to get someone to tell me the level of difficulty in doing something similar with one of the older Cadillac thermal cameras and wiring it up to a electric hunting cart. I know it's been done, but no one wants to share the how part.

hdfireman

Blackstone Arms
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Mr. Johnson, what year is your truck and I will see what I can find out.

Ncorry, contact Jason @ Ident, he has done a couple of the caddy thermals

fanninland

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Eric, it's a 2014 Chevy Silverado. The nav display doesn't have the simple auxillary rca input (usually color coded yellow) like a rear flip down dvd screen does in Suburbans/Tahoes. This leads me to believe that GM's front dashboard nav display may not be capable of video input through the console's USB input port, as that could be a liability issue for GM (watching videos while driving generally not good). So please don't spend too much effort trying to track down a solution - it would be an awesome way to scout/spot but I get the feeling I may be beating a dead horse.

TLM, thanks that is good to know - I think I'll put together a similar setup. Even if we have success setting up the dashboard nav display for my truck, a portable option would be great for when I am in another vehicle or the Ranger.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Eric, you are the Man!

fanninland

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Thanks for the info hd, that is great stuff for sure!
Remember those old commercials? You are like the Shell Answer Man, lol.

hdfireman

Blackstone Arms
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
LOL.

I like the clean look and even if it cost a little more to me it would be worth it to have it integrated into a factory system. Let me know if it doesn't work and maybe I can spend another 5-10 mins on it. :cool:

Proarc

Anybody have any luck finding a small display that would work with the 320. **** says one is coming, but it seems like there should be something that would hook up to the vid out cable. Small battery operated unit to help viewing instead of the small screen.

hdfireman

Blackstone Arms
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Are you wanting a small external screen to carry around with you? How big? You can hook up a mini DVR that has a screen, it's about twice the size and you'd have the ability to record.

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Tagging for reference.

Lancer

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The wife and I took a couple of $27 harbor freight night vision security cams and suctioned cup one to the hood to drive with and one to the window to scan with, we drove around the fields and they work surprisingly well for the cost. We were just playing around but I plan on doing something similar to a golf cart soon.

Proarc

Are you wanting a small external screen to carry around with you? How big? You can hook up a mini DVR that has a screen, it's about twice the size and you'd have the ability to record.

I have been looking for a small display I can carry in a small pack with my other NV gear.
I envision having my 320 pointed at the area where my hogs usually come into on a small tripod and being able to see it better than the small screen on the 320. Plus I can still use my 14 to scan around. Would like double A batteries for power and a price point of a couple hundred dollars. I dont need waterproof or mil-spec. I have taken my 320 to radio shack and everyother electronic place in town and no one has had anything that would hook up. It really seems like it should not be this hard to come up with a display. The ability to record would just be a bonus. I mostly use thermal stalking/slip hunting but sitting in a stand with a display seems like a neat idea and being hands free you can quickly transition to our gun.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have been looking for a small display I can carry in a small pack with my other NV gear.
I envision having my 320 pointed at the area where my hogs usually come into on a small tripod and being able to see it better than the small screen on the 320. Plus I can still use my 14 to scan around. Would like double A batteries for power and a price point of a couple hundred dollars. I dont need waterproof or mil-spec. I have taken my 320 to radio shack and everyother electronic place in town and no one has had anything that would hook up. It really seems like it should not be this hard to come up with a display. The ability to record would just be a bonus. I mostly use thermal stalking/slip hunting but sitting in a stand with a display seems like a neat idea and being hands free you can quickly transition to our gun.
Follow Oso Grande's link he provided. The Hobby industry has quality gear for such needs, and you can have a long tail from your camera to your sitting place to view in comfort.

fanninland

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Some of ya'll probably already know about this, but thought I'd share it anyways. Jason at Ident had told me about this little gizmo, but we all know how busy Jason gets so instead of waiting for him to procure I sourced it myself. Jason, if you ever read this thanks for the headsup.

I purchased this inexpensive ($50) wi-fi transmitter from Amazon:

Sourcingbay 2.4Ghz 30fps Wifi Car Camera Transmitter Wifi Video Transmitter Transmission for Car Reverse Bakup Camera Cctv Compatible For Iphone, Ipad, Android
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00P92HPTS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and a 12v power supply via a 8 AA battery holder from Radio Shack, along with some connectors to get X320 video out (BNC I think it is?) to regular video input (yellow RCA).

Then I downloaded a free app called WIFI AVIN onto my iphone and ipad (Android versions available, I think). I mounted the X320 on a monopod and secured the wi-fi transmitter and battery pack below it with rubber bands. Turned it all on, located the WIFI AVIN on my smartphone, and now I can view AND record from that device. I can also email the video or still photos from within the app. The whole setup is pretty crude, but it works for scouting while driving around as I can hold the monopod out of the window or sunroof and view wirelessly from my phone. I've even put my son in the back of the truck with the setup and viewed from inside the truck while driving with PVS14.

The weak link in my setup is the power supply and its connectors, and the long video out cable purchased from L3. It would be great to have a custom video cable that is shorter and has correct hookups, and is somewhat bulletproof. Also, a smaller rechargable power supply also with fortified cables would be nice. Anything to reduce the cable clutter on the monopod is a step in the right direction. The wi-fi transmitter has a pass through power out connector, and so if the voltage/amperage is compatable with that of the X320 then you could also provide auxillary power to the thermal unit.

I'll try to post some photos of my rednek version of this setup. If anyone knows of a source for getting custom cables made let me know.

image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited:

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Looks like a great start...say where is Jason/Ident, have not heard from him in months...

Ncorry

LSB Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
For the battery weak link--The battery set up that I went with for my Cadillac Thermal Spotter uses 4 6000 mAh 18650 rechargeable batteries. Since the Caddy camera was made for automotive batteries, I needed to reduce the voltage from the fully charged battery pack at 16.8 volts to somewhere between 12 and 13.8. I found this gizmo and it works great- http://www.ebay.com/itm/380881316778 I've tested it numerous times with the meter and once it was set to 13.7, it has never varied, even when the battery pack fluctuates from 16.8 to 14.5 it still puts out 13.7.

Here are the batteries and charger combo I used- http://www.ebay.com/itm/311116118641?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
Here is the 4x 18650 holder- http://www.ebay.com/itm/131157490568?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

The set up worked so well, I ended up getting another Caddy thermal that the previous owner had removed the germanium lens from the housing and put it into an older Canon camera lens assembly so that it can be focused. I'm thinking about picking up a GOLight housing and putting one of the Caddy cams into it to make a poor man's version of the US Night Vision ATAC- http://www.usnightvision.com/atac360wwiredremote.aspx