Mini MX-1 thermal viewer

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
A guy wants to sell one for $800, needs the cash, anyone with info or advise on this?

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
MX1 specs----
- Specifications
MSRP: $8,650.00 KERIF Price:$6,785.00
FEATURES MX-1 Mini-IR
Focal Plane Array Type & Material Amorphous Silicon Microbolometer
Pixel Count (Resolution) 160 x 120
Spectral Response 7-14 μm (filter bandwidth)
Thermal Sensitivity ≤100 mK

Thermal Imaging Performance Startup Time ~ 5 sec
Detection Range for Human Activity Up to 1000 Feet (305 meters)
Contrast / Brightness Fully Automatic
Susceptibility to Blinding Visible Light None
Infrared Polarity None

Optics Lens Focal Length 25mm
Field of View 17° x 12°
Range to Detect Human Activity Up to 1000 Feet (305 meters)
Minimum Focus Distance ~ 3 ft. (1 meter)
Focus Method Manual

Video Output Format Analog: SMPTE-170 (cf. NTSC monochrome) on rear outlet jack
Viewfinder Display Monochrome LCD (320 x 240 pixels)
Viewfinder Dimming Integral to power on/off switch

Power Power Source Two (2) AA batteries
Operating Time ~ 3 Hours with alkaline ~7 Hours with lithium [77°F (25°C), night-time operation]
Auxiliary Power 9 to 12 VDC input on rear outlet jack

Environmental Characteristics Operating Temperature -4°F to 140°F (-20°C to 60°C)
Storage Temperature -4°F to 176°F (-20°C to 80°C)
Water & Shock Resistance Waterproof to 9ft (3m) submersion, buoyant in fresh water Shockproof to 6 ft (2m) drop
EMC Compliance FCC Part 15 & CE Mark

Physical Characteristics Size 5 1/4" L x 4 1/2" W x 2" H
(13.4 x 11.4 x 5.1 cm)
Weight 13 oz (381g), batteries installed
Eye Cup Integral to camera body with 2" eye relief

Thermal eye x50

Focal Plane Array:
Material & Structure:Amorphous Silicon Microbolometer
Pixel Count (Resolution):100 x 80
Spectral Response:7-14 μm (filter bandwidth)
Thermal Sensitivity:≤150 mK
Thermal Imaging Performance:Start-up Time
Brightness/Contrast:Fully automatic
Range to Detect Human Activity:Up to 1000ft (305m)
Susceptibility to Blinding Visible Light:None
Infrared Polarity:White Hot
Optics:
FOV (H x V):11 x 8
Focus method:Manual
Minimum Focus Distance:~ 3ft (1m)
Video:
Viewfinder Display:Monochrome LCD (320 x 240 pixels)
Viewfinder Dimming:Integral to power on/off switch
Power:
Power Source:2 AA batteries
Operating Time:2 hours with alkaline 5 hours with lithium
Auxiliary Power:9 to 12 VDC input on rear outlet jack
Environmental Characteristics
Operating Temperature:+14F to 12°F (-10C to 50C)
Storage Temperature:-4°F to 176°F (-20°C to 80°C)
Water & Shock Resistance:Waterproof to 9ft (3m) submersion, buoyant in water. Shockproof to 6ft (2m) drop.
EMC Compliance:FCC Part 15 & CE Mark
Physical Characteristics:
Size:5-1/4" L x 4-1/2" W x 2" H (13.4 x 11.4 x 5.1cm)
Weight:13oz (381g) batteries installed
Eye Cup:Integral to camera body with 2" eye relief

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
yeah I got all that, why would someone sell for 800 and if it is all that and a Raytheon too what would make it not worth 800, how do you tell?

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Sounds pretty close to the x50 I would say $800 is a good price if its in good condition.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
yeah I got all that, why would someone sell for 800 and if it is all that and a Raytheon too what would make it not worth 800, how do you tell?

I don't understand this question.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
it is a $3-6000 unit, why would someone sell for $800. How can you tell if it is in good condition or on its last leg?

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Or does not belong to the seller legally

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well there is that, a friend told me a friend of his had it in Tn, so no way I can see it before buying

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
ask for the serial number
send request to Raytheon asking about fee for a 'tune-up' for model whatever serial number xxxxxxxx and that you are looking to buy it.

use price quoted in decision process

if they won't give up the serial number (seller) then it is probably of an 'unknown heritage'

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
gotcha, thanks

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
its similar specs to an L-3 X50 and they look almost the same, so who really makes them, L3 or Raytheon

they aren't worth what they once cost, but $800 is a good price, my friend bought an L-3 X150 for $1300, so if it works would be a below average price...

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
1300, I am disappointed, thought it would be more, new 1300 used w no history 800? bad deal to me for the used

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
It is a low resolution thermal. Detection range of 1000' feet for a human isn't all that great, but if you want a short range thermal unit, $800 sounds very reasonable. If you were buying new and paying either of the prices TLM noted, I would say that it is NOT a good value for what you get, but for $800...why not?

Personally, I shy away from a lot of used deals because of a lack of knowledge of the actual unit being sold. I miss some good deals in the process, however. I would rather miss out on a good deal than get stuck with a bargain bad deal....which then isn't a bargain.

See what you can find out. You might get lucky.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I would be lucky on my property to have 300 yds to see mostly 100-200 is the norm, in that distance would I tell a hog from a deer? a coon from anything or just see a heat signature but not know what it is?

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
With no magnification at 100 yards, it can be difficult sometimes to differentiate between deer and hogs with even higher resolution thermal scopes if the deer has its head down and is feeding. Often what is used to help make identifications is the assessment of movement. The two animals often behave and move in different ways that will help with identification, but the key trait that stands out is the neck. You look for a long neck sticking out from the body. At 100 yards with my FLIR PS-32 (320x240 resolution), it can take some study before making a determination of identification, especially if the animal doesn't present a nice profile. Head/tail-on or quartered can make ID difficult and so with the lower res of the MX-1, you will have an even tougher time.

So you have detection (when you see a heat signature but don't know what it is), recognition (when it looks like a deer/hog/calf/large dog), and identification (when you can specifically tell what animal it is).

So you might get recognition at 150 yards on a deer/hog in profile, but not get actual identification beyond maybe 60-70 yards. The distances will likely be much less if the animal isn't in good profile.

At 100 yards, raccoons, opossums, and armadillos are just small blobs in my FLIR. In the MX-1, you would probably just see heat signature spots.

The cool thing about thermal scopes is their ability to detect and this is how a lot of us use such scopes for spotting. If we see a heat signature that looks about right, we then go to NV to make an identification.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Thanks Brian, with all that I think I can make better use of $800

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I've been spoiled with the w1000 and mtm, but the x50 which has lower resolution still works well for spotting and the thermal eyes are just about indestructible. IMHO $800 is a good price.