Mag Dump Boar

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
You know, Monday's hunt down in Bosque County went so well and I thought I would take my Zeus 3 out one more time before sending it back to get the firmware updated by Armasight so that I can control the flickering/dimming (AGC) better. It turned out to be an issue on this hunt, but comparatively minor.

All I can say is that the hog is dead. The landowner is happy and even helped me haul off the carcass. Nobody got hurt.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Gotta tenderize them a bit before finishing them. Good Job!

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
You're having fun. Think you did well considering the circumstances.... Shooting offhand, coming towards you as you lose focus and adrenaline

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
We will call this one Swiss cheese Boar, needed to cycle all that old ammo anyway. So how close to you did he get?

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
HEAD%20of%20close%20Boar%20IDENTIFIED.jpg

He ran by at maybe 3 yards. Here is the last "good" image I could label before he went completely out of focus. You can see his head and shoulder are filling my field of view. You may have to back away from the screen to make out the features, or maybe squint a little.

Last edited:

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
YIKES! that had to be a change my shorts moment..glad you are OK

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Self propelled red sauce and jello. Way to hang with him there B.

bldsmith

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
WOW. Is that not the second one that has done this to you??? Shown your wife the video yet? Man that would really get the adrenaline going.

Hunt TXHogs

LSB Member
Kamikaze Pig!!!!

Who did you give that backstrap to?

Also is it just me or based on the swollen groin do you think he got a bit excited to see you.

Not a bad way to go...

;)

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The wife did give me some instruction akin to "...never get out of the ___ing boat" from Apocalypse Now, but unlike last time, I really didn't ever think the hog was after me, though afterwards I had to think about it for a bit.

He was just running very fast toward me. You know how it is - a million thoughts run through your mind at the same time. First the hog is running off to my left which a shot I am thinking is in the boilerroom and then arcs toward me and I start doing the math. I'm kneeling and don't have anywhere to go, assuming I could actually get up in time, right? He is moving too fast, I think, and I put a second shot into him. That should slow him down, but it doesn't.

Unbeknownst to me, I have wasted half my time already watching how this pig was running by the time I realize I need to be taking some corrective action. He is turning more and more and has closed the distance enough so that there is no focus and 3x is way too much magnification and without the scope, it is DARK DARK DARK. I can feel the thrumming of his hooves on the ground as he is coming toward me as I am trying to stay on him as he runs, panning on my knee. At this point, I am thinking he is going to hit me and I start doing my best to dissuade him of that action.

I am not thinking it is intentional or unintentional that he is running toward me, only that he is really big in the scope and that I can FEEL him coming at me.

His arc continues to tighten as he starts to head in a direction that will pass me, but I think it is going to be really close. As he comes by, I have now twisted around enough that I am no longer using my knee as a rest. In the scope, I am thinking he is going to run into the end of my rifle as he goes by, but he doesn't, of course.

The video ended before he stumbled and fell and curly shuffled. I had my pistol out and was trying to get my headlamp on and fumbling the switch because of the adrenaline dump. Then the landowner called me on the phone and I could not get the phone to answer because my fingers had the heeby jeebies. I was able to answer the 2nd time he tried. He thought maybe I blew up a sounder.

In the end, it was just a really exciting hunt.

My wife doesn't want me to leave the stand, but she hasn't developed teleportation to get me to and from the stand yet. :D

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
we could have been having a wake for you instead of saying how lucky you are!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Absolutely, we would not waste an opportunity to cook out, maybe hunt and look thru some thermal and play w a drone or 2!

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
:cool:Would this be a tacky time to place dibs on your night optic gear?

customcutter

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Dang Brian, I've spent the last 3 months trying to figure this out. I thought I had finally had it nailed down that 3x was the perfect magnification, because I'm not going to be able to stalk close enough use a 2x at 1x mag. Then you go and train the dang hogs to run directly at you, not once, but twice. Now I'm all confused again, or maybe it's the meds.....

Are you going to try the 2x on the Grendel, while the 3x is being updated on firmware? What sidearm do you carry?

Glad your OK, nothing worse than the heebie jeebies....