LWTS poi shift

AKay

LSB Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I recently bought a LWTS and had a chance to confirm any POI change after clipping it on my gun. Came up with a shift of 3.5" down and 3.5" left. After adjusting my scope, I had a great hunt and shot over 4 pigs.

I got curious about the POI shift and called Insight. They said it was out of spec and I should send it in for a re-alignment. I did and got it back 3 weeks later. Put in on my gun and confirmed that there is now under a MOA shift. This is a vast improvement. I plan to make a cross type target with a small impact area so I can see it and make a more precise shot. I have found that if the sun is shinning on my black targets I can easily see them in contrast to my gun ranges white backers.

I am wondering if any other LWTS owners have experienced any POI shift? And how much of a shift you are seeing?

AKay

LSB Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Wow. Have you checked repeatability?

Yes. Both before they re-aligned the unit and now. I get a very reasonable sized group. Especially given I am trying to center the cross hairs on a 12" square. That is why I am going to try to make a more distinct target so I can see how small of a group I can get.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
My hunting partner has one that he has to zero to each rifle it is used on. I am guessing it is also out of alignment. His was purchased brand new and the problem has been since that time.

Makes you wonder how these get "out of spec" and also gives you pause for trusting the repeatability of your gear. If you don't test fire, then you don't know it will be off or not.

I realize that these are just like all other optics and may suffer issues, but of the 4 that I know people that have them (including you), 3 have had issues, 2 of which have had to be returned to Insight/LWTS and a third that I suppose needs to be. That is a very high problem rate for a very expensive optic. I realize it is a small sample size, but it isn't like these are common items.

AKay

LSB Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
My hunting partner has one that he has to zero to each rifle it is used on. I am guessing it is also out of alignment. His was purchased brand new and the problem has been since that time.

Makes you wonder how these get "out of spec" and also gives you pause for trusting the repeatability of your gear. If you don't test fire, then you don't know it will be off or not.

I realize that these are just like all other optics and may suffer issues, but of the 4 that I know people that have them (including you), 3 have had issues, 2 of which have had to be returned to Insight/LWTS and a third that I suppose needs to be. That is a very high problem rate for a very expensive optic. I realize it is a small sample size, but it isn't like these are common items.

The manual gives us an expectation of up to a 2moa shift. I expect some kind of poi shift and as long as it is consistent for the rifle and optic I have it on I am happy. I will test mine on another rifle/optic and note if there is a shift. I see it as getting to know your equipment.

I only questioned mine when I got the 3.5 moa shift. It was still consistent and repeatable for that rifle/optic. I also experienced a similar poi shift when I introduced a suppressor. I just keep track of the scope adjustments.

Last edited:

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

I think thermal clip ons are more prone to this than night vision. Seems any thing out of alignment on the rifle or the mount can cause it. So far for the ones I have used it has not made enough of a difference that I would miss my target but I do check zero on each rifle and mark my mount spot to make sure it goes on the same way each time.