looks like i'll be going back to the 308

D

djones

got back on the hogs at the same place world champ and i found 'em. they were so interested in the feed they never noticed me until one just happened to get too close. not the best shooting, but not the worst. another jam shut me down and i couldn't get it cleared. pretty sure i could have emptied the mag but instead i just had to watch the parade go by. three down in the field and found the brush runner too.

D

djones

first one looks like he took a round to the faaaaace.

IMG_1518_zpslkoo7lu8.jpg

number two caught one in the neck

IMG_1517_zpsr0f34i9p.jpg

D

djones

i tried to clear the jam and let the bolt slam another round in but no go. thought i must have left the chamber too cruddy from the corroded shells. hunt was over so i went home.

turns out a live round was stuck in the chamber and bolt wouldn't go into battery. cleared the jam and noticed the stuck shell had a bright ring near the tip. the two lugs on either side of the extractor had broken off. one piece was just behind the barrel extension.

IMG_1522_zps9lcddh7f.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That is not good. That is a dirty shell. On my 6.8 I ordered a 6.8 hone and used it in the chamber, there was some melonite in there that was causing shells to stick.

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I was always taught . . . "take care of your weapon and it will take care of you".
Soooooooo . . . . with the due respect I ask ---> Why are you using that crappy looking ammo in your weapon ?????
I keep all my ammo wiped down with a very small amount of Break Free CLP.
Small ring looks to be from the reloading die. On some bullets that I use with a long ogive,they come out of the die with a small bright ring where the bullet stop spud is inside the seater die.--- pruhdlr

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I think this is the second time I've heard of a busted 6.8 bolt, first one I've seen. That is an ugly shell casing. That ammo gave you some solid kills. Good chootin' there.

D

djones

poodle pumper, i'll take these one at a time...

I was always taught . . . "take care of your weapon and it will take care of you".
i've had probably close to 2,500 flawless rounds fired through this weapon. if it was broken beyond repair, it wouldn't bother me a bit to chunk it in the bar ditch and get another one. i'd be content that i got my money's worth out of it.

Why are you using that crappy looking ammo in your weapon ?????
those are handloads from new brass. when you shoot suppressed you will get blow back from the barrel. usually most noticeable 5 or 6 shells deep in the magazine, from my experience. sometimes in the heat of battle, you just have to stuff more ammo on top of them and keep going. i wipe them off when moving them to another mag, but they ain't as smooth as shiny brass. here is a 308 mag with new factory ammo.

mag_zpsazwl8c52.jpg

I keep all my ammo wiped down with a very small amount of Break Free CLP.
why aren't you using vaseline?

Small ring looks to be from the reloading die. On some bullets that I use with a long ogive,they come out of the die with a small bright ring where the bullet stop spud is inside the seater die.--- pruhdlr
i have seating die marks on some of my bullets from new brass that had tighter mouths. if it was a seating die ring, it would be dirty like the rest of the rounds in the mag.

just occurred to me it doesn't make sense it would be from jamming into anything in the barrel. so... it must be from the cleaning rod i used to knock out the round!

Last edited by a moderator:

BDubbs

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Looked like some professional stalking and shooting going on right there!

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good hogs down! I bet LWRC will send you a replacement. Happy and safe hunting to ya!

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The rounds towards the top of the mag look like that when shooting suppressed from the blowback. Normal as far as I know, which don't add up to much.
But ya, get an *** super bolt. It's going to be harder for U to make follow up shots with a .308. Plus the 308s gonna get heavy for u to lug around by the time you're carrying full mags and a suppressed rifle topped with thermal scope.

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The rounds towards the top of the mag look like that when shooting suppressed from the blowback. Normal as far as I know, which don't add up to much.
But ya, get an *** super bolt. It's going to be harder for U to make follow up shots with a .308. Plus the 308s gonna get heavy for u to lug around by the time you're carrying full mags and a suppressed rifle topped with thermal scope.

I hunt with a friend who bought a Armalite 308 model (target shooting version) with a bull barrel... it's probably close to 20lbs with mag and scope. Several years ago he would lug that around when we stalk. By the end of the night, he would say "f... I'm tired". Lol I kept telling him for the longest time to switch rifles but he would always argue back "Nooo DUDE, this is an awesome rifle". He's now shooting a 6.8 that Blackstone built... rofl

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I hunt with a friend who bought a Armalite 308 model (target shooting version) with a bull barrel... it's probably close to 20lbs with mag and scope. Several years ago he would lug that around when we stalk. By the end of the night, he would say "f... I'm tired". Lol I kept telling him for the longest time to switch rifles but he would always argue back "Nooo DUDE, this is an awesome rifle". He's now shooting a 6.8 that Blackstone built... rofl
Plus Dj is in his 60s now. They probably have a senior discount for the *** Superbolt. Or Maybe he could ditch the sling to lighten it up a little and just put a gun rack on his walker.

OneK

LSB Active Member
Staff member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

My experience is if you just fire one round every couple of minutes the case still stays shiny. If you are hammering down like Dr. Jones does the heat and blowback builds up in the chamber and when the last unfired cartridge stays in the chamber the heat and crud corrode the brass. I thought his shell looked great. Mine look worse especially if they sit for several hours in the chamber. I also have a nine inch suppressor and he has a seven inch.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I thought he was shooting a LWRC did he go back to his jamomatic? a bolt can go at any time, I have never had it happen but others sure have. I would think DJ would shoot even worse with a 308 than a 6.8