live hunt

BDubbs

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
it appears there had been a previous encounter and in the melee the misfortunate swine creature took an errant round or got his foot caught in the jaws of Dr Quapo as he was changing clips

D

djones

i didn't examine the club foot very close. i did notice he was limping so yea, i guess you'd say he was crippled.

the hunt got off to a rocky start. thanks to my keen scouting skills, we trekked over a quarter mile only to find a herd of cows. OinK is now like the birddog that goes back to the truck because the hunter can’t hit anything. He won’t talk to me but at least he’s muttering something between scowls. even when we spotted the first hog he still wouldn’t stalk up with me and stayed in the truck. i think he was sexting with lawdogg.

by the next hog he regained his senses and wanted to get in on the action. i missed on purpose so he could shoot it. of course i had to listen to him brag on rolling him like dice the rest of the night, sheesh!

Last edited by a moderator:
D

djones

OinK wouldn’t shut up about his great shot on the last pig, so i twisted his elevation knob while he wasn’t looking, hehehe. on the next hogs he was so impatient he said he was going to start shooting without me. i had to start the count down even though my pig had his ass facing me. OinK pulled off a lucky shot and killed his. mine was hit, but even secret weapons have their limitations when all they hit is the nutts.

D

djones

OinK didn’t get a good hit on his next hog and it ran my direction. every time i was about to shoot, OinK shoved me a little while repositioning. i finally had to pick up my gun and tripod and move away from him. by then his hog was several hundred yards away. fortunately team OinK isn't afraid to expend a little lead.

D

djones

it was 16 degrees by now, but at least the wind was manageable. unfortunately, that also meant we couldn’t sneak up as close as we’d like in the crunchy peanut trash. we got as close as we could, walking straight toward the center of the herd. two satellite boars were on the sides. we decided to pass on the herd and go for the two big boars. as luck would have it, Oink’s was about 50 yards and mine was about 300. who would have figured?

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice shot on that yote.
What distance is your scope zeroed at? 16" 6.8 right?

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
yep 16". 100 yards... more or less
with the big open fields and distances u shoot, it might be easier for those 125-200 yd shots if u were hitting 1.5" high at 100. You'd be closer to 1" low at 200 instead of over 4" low like u prolly are currently.

OneK

LSB Active Member
Staff member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
As you can see the big herds are not there anymore. The hogs are going back in the brush for the summer. One spot we call the "Honey Hole" did not have a single hog on it. We drove more miles and got less hogs that we have all winter. Its all but over for us till next winter. Maybe a few whipped off boars now and then and that's about it.

Best news is this year the peanut acreage is going up and there will be more hogs than last season.

OneK

LSB Active Member
Staff member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
with the big open fields and distances u shoot, it might be easier for those 125-200 yd shots if u were hitting 1.5" high at 100. You'd be closer to 1" low at 200 instead of over 4" low like u prolly are currently.
It takes less than 4 seconds for a hog to go from 200 yds to 300 yds. Everything's cool when they are standing still. Running not so much.

D

djones

the new zero may be the best advice i've received yet. but i don't think it will matter much. it would be sheer luck for a 6.x bullet to down a hog much past 250 at ar15 platform velocities. now 130-140 grains fired from the bigger AR platform gets the job done. zen's got it down.

now if y'all will pardon me, i've got to go kill some hogs...

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
the new zero may be the best advice i've received yet. but i don't think it will matter much. it would be sheer luck for a 6.x bullet to down a hog much past 250 at ar15 platform velocities. now 130-140 grains fired from the bigger AR platform gets the job done. zen's got it down.

now if y'all will pardon me, i've got to go kill some hogs...
Do a range visit. See whether a 50yd. zero is almost dead on once again at 200 yd. Less variables for hold within that shooting range.

BDubbs

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I think y'all should strategically place Tannerite feed stations around those fields with video monitoring... one shot, many kills!

cletus

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice haul DJ and oink I recommend feeding him before you go on a hunt. It worked with dubbs.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
D

djones

I think y'all should strategically place Tannerite feed stations around those fields with video monitoring... one shot, many kills!
i have a friend who did that. the blast went straight up and the pigs ran off. maybe he didn't do it right?

Nice haul DJ and oink I recommend feeding him before you go on a hunt. It worked with dubbs.
that would be great. OinK snacks on cookies and candy bars while i'm scouting. i might exit the vehicle to check a field and be gone for one minute. when i get back, OinK is snoring. next time i'm going to record the audio!!!