Jennifer's first hog!

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
My wife grew up around hunters, but was never invited to hunt. She has never wanted to shoot deer, Turkey, etc because they are too pretty. However, once we moved to Texas and I started killing hogs she realized how ugly and nasty they are. She said she thought she could shoot one.

Fast forward 2 years and I took her on her first hog hunt. I was already into night vision hunting at this time so we sat in the truck and watched a couple fields, but nothing came out in the 3 hours we were there. I didn't want to keep her out too long and bore her, thus ruining her first hunting experience so we packed it up.

She went again, in the daylight, a few weeks later. We hadn't even made it completely in the blind and the hogs were there. I handed her the rifle and tried to quitely unzip a window. This blind was setup for bow hunting so the hogs were 30 yards away. They spooked, she rushed the shot, and they got away.

Fast forward a year. She told me she wanted to try again a few weeks aging. So we went out last night. I started out running the normal route. Truck lights out, pvs14s on helemts, the whole 9 yards. We were talking and having a great time just being together doing something. See, my wife is a registered nurse who works night shift 3-5 nights a week and every other weekend so we don't get to spend a lot of time together some weeks. So it was nice to just cruise while scanning fields and chatting. I know, sounds lame coming from a guy, but communication keeps a marriage happy.

We completed our loop of all the properties I have been seeing hogs in lately without any luck. I was getting worried so I decided to try a field I hadn't seen anything in for a while. We start creeping through the small dirt road and I just barely spot the black back of a lone boar moving through some taller brush at roughly 250 yards. Last night was really dark with zero moon and only a little starlight. I pointed out the hog to her and told it was HUGE!!! I had to phsyc her up a little. LOL. We started the stalk and she got on target but couldn't see him because of how dark it was and the IR reflecting back on the brush.

The hog meandered back into the brush, but was heading to another clearing. We gathered her shooting sticks and made our move to reposition and wait for him to come out. It felt like eternity! After about 5 minutes the hog came out of the brush and started to slowly walk right to us. He was at roughly 60 yards. He just kept coming and we kept waiting for him to turn broadside. He never did! He was at 35 yards and I clicked on my dimmer, handheld IR light for her to see easier and shoot.

This IR light puts out a really faint red glow and the hog spotted it. He raised his head up and I could see him sniffing. The wind was right and I knew he couldn't smell us. I told her to shoot him between the eyes. He started to lower his head and BOOM!!!!!! SHE NAILED HIM BETWEEN THE EYES!!!! The 150 pound lone boar dropped like a rock.

She was excited, but scared to approach him because he kept kicking. I went up and put my hand on his head to prove he was dead even though he was kicking. I knew he wasn't going anywhere with the way one eye was popped out. LOL. She eventually saw it was perfectly safe and we celebrated with a high five and a hug.

She said she feels like she redeemed herself because of her previous miss and I'm a proud husband of a new hog slayer.

Now to get her in the Sus Venator Club! 20131005_011135.jpg

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Way ta go Jennifer !!!! Nice hog ! Ya done good there (guide). So? When does the next build begin? 'Cause you KNOW she's laying claim to HER lucky rifle now. LOL

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Congrats Jennifer, good job and nice hog your great guide put you on!

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nothing better than sharing something you love with someone you love. Awesome job! Never apologize for loving your wife or time spent with her brother!

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
She already has an AR15 w/ pink furniture. I just likes the thumbs up picture more.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Pssst... Jennifer. Claim the "lucky rifle" and give Alex the pink one.

And, that is a great pic. The happy hunter pix are always great.

Wassman

Houston, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Too cool. I have also bee trying to get my wife on some pigs. Gonna happen one of these days. Great story.

Shooter

Bedford, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Great night. Just keep in mind that a woman who can shoot can be dangerous when rilled up !!

PRyan1877

Roselle, Illinois
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Way to go Jennifer and congratulations Afalex on getting her to go out hunting with you. Hunting is a great time, doing it with your best friend makes it so much better. Even if she shoots a bigger hog than you, it's a great time with a friend.

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I consider myself extremely lucky to have a wife that will hunt with me. She will hunt deer/hogs during the daylight hours and walk back to the truck alone,after dark. She will not sit for hogs in the darkness unless she is with me. I(for the most part)understand this and do not give her any grief over it.

She will kill,drag,gut,cut up,and eat, either deer or hogs.

You are a very lucky man to have a hunting partner like your wife. Congratz on the hog,and everything else. --- pruhdlr

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Sounds good to me. They would have a blast together.

Aspp

Central California
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Very cool, grats to her!

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
great hunt, great story, glad she finally connected on one, just as long as she doesn't want to go every time you want to lol

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
She won't want to come all the time. I think she has more of an interest in it now that she actually shot a hog, but she doesn't like the cold too much and from her on out it just gets colder until April.

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
ha, yea I don't like the cold either, but my MS does, I have cold feet and hands all the time, even with my -100 degree Sorel boots, my feet get cold, and no matter what my hands get cold, if the hogs would come out in the fields on my lease, which is rare, I would be stalking, but most of the time just sitting still in a blind

so I guess this winter, some heated socks and hand warmers lol