Jay's First Hog - THANKS Glenn!!

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
So my buddy, Jay, has been hearing for years about me hog hunting and asked if he and a couple of friends could come down and give it a go. I warned him that hogs were not plentiful at my place, but this is when they had a break to come, so they came. For three nights they hunted with nothing to show for their efforts. We were part way through the 3rd night we heard several shots and impact thumps from NW of us and I figured it might be Glenn Guess and sent him a message. Apparently, Glenn and his wife were on the hogs. I begged off on a dead hog so that my friends would not go home empty handed. Glenn and Michelle brought over 3 hogs! He then gave us all a quick lesson in field butchery and said we could come down afterwards and try to get on some hogs in Wise County since there were so few up where we were. COOL!

Glenn first gave us a little show and tell with his giant piglets out back and we were off to hunt. Things started slow but picked up as the evening progressed. Despite some careful coaching, Hanna just could not drop a hog despite tries at two different locations. Jay got a chance and did well with an excellent head shot at maybe 40 yards (see video). We spotted hogs several more times but did not get another opportunity for a shot.

In the end, the folks from Colorado went home this morning with meat from four hogs in their cooler, extremely pleased with their hunting experience.

Watch carefully on the video. I didn't think the detail would show, but you can see the bullet in flight just before impact and the spray from the impact.

Thanks Glenn!!!

Last edited:

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice video, congrats to the visiting team. Nicely done by the home team too !

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Just wonderin' ........ the black reticle on the black hog seems kinda hard to make out. Does your NVD have a different color that you can choose from ?? --- pruhdlr

Guess

Hog Zombie
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Here’s my story,

Michelle and I hunted 2 different pieces of property Montague Co. just before dark. WE saw very little hog sign and no hogs. WE drove through another ranch just before dark and spotted a group of hogs we’ve been keeping tabs on. I picked one out and dropped it. They were now on the run, so Picked another and dropped it at about 80 yards. They were now out about 120 yards and haulin butt! I dropped another one! When we went to look at them I noticed the farthest one had gotten up. He took a couple more rounds! That’s when Brian texts me.

After we got together the hunting was still tough hogs were bedded early and the ones up and moving were spooky as heck. We had very little wind, what we did have was variable which I hate! We got Hanna on a large group of bedded hogs in very dense brush. I had her try the shot, but I doubt anyone could have squeezed a bullet through there. Then she missed the gimmie. Poor girl, after she was through verbally abusing herself. I helped! HAHAHAHA! I really did feel bad for her, it was a big ol boar hog. AS you can see Jay made good on his shot and Mike never got a good shot. Tough huntin’! It was fun though.

1601347_649267121778651_1618154226_n.jpg

1528661_649267365111960_816635031_n.jpg

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Congrats on a fine pile of pork there.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Great hunt and its nice to see you guys helping each other out!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Brian, good video, I loved it! what a buddy Glenn, great job getting them the meat and on the hogs!

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Great job to all parties involved. Thanks goes to LSB for introducing everyone too. Gotta love a good forum.

PRyan1877

Roselle, Illinois
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Great video and a big congratulations on your first hog kill.