I get to build/buy a 6.8spc. Help me!

Vance Goodson

Hunting is my Drug!
LoneStarBoars Supporter
And if ***'s 16" barrels are just as fast and accurate as others in 18" and 20" I would rather go that direction and save some weight. I was only going 18" for better accuracy and speed.

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
And you will be using a suppressor at times, which can make a difference in parts, what distances are your shots? What glass/sights are you going to be using?

Vance Goodson

Hunting is my Drug!
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Shots will be between 50 yards and 300 yards with the average being somewhere around 150 yards. Just your average hunting distances. I will be using a 4-16x50 scope. And before anyone has a wise crack about my magnification, sometimes I don't carry binoculars so I like to have plenty of power for scanning. Plus I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Wassman

Houston, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Keep in mind accuracy comes from barrel, trigger, and optic quality. This is where most of your funds should be spent. Also barrel length doesn't make a gun more accurate (common misconception), it does how ever increase velocity. For the 6.8 it is about 50FPS per 2" of barrel. Barrel accuracy is more determined by profile, groove type, twist rate, and manufacture process. *** has spent alot of time testing different combinations of these to find the optimal spec for the 6.8 and that is why everybody suggests them.

If you planning on building your own upper I would suggest get with someone who has done it before. Putting them together isn't really that hard, but when it comes to tuning the gun that is where it gets difficult. You could have a number of issues and each issue needs to be read properly and corrected properly. Knowing what to look for and what to do about isn't something that can be explained easily.

This is why most people just get a upper built by someone who does it on a regular basis. I would suggest giving Rick a call and he can custom build you a upper to the specs you desire. Plus you can have the assurance if you do have a issue you have a seasoned builder to back you. Here is a link to his site, BTW he is a site sponsor too.

http://www.advancedsuppressionsolutions.com/Custom-Builds.html

As for the lower most people end up assembling their own. Just keep in mind there are alot of small parts to deal with. There are lots of vids on you tube on how to do it.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Wassman built my 16" ***, very very accurate, I love it!

Vance Goodson

Hunting is my Drug!
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I won't assemble and tune it alone I will do it with someone who knows what they are doing at my side, but I want to do it mostly myself as I am a very hands on person and get more out of things that I build than just from a store bought product. That is also why I posted here, I know the knowledge of this subject is extensive here and there are plenty of well experienced people who I can look to for advice on parts etc.

I looked at advanced suppression solutions because of the fact that they are a site sponsor and must admit that they have good prices on *** barrels and bolts so more than likely I will be purchasing these parts through them when the time comes.

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Your money, your choices.
I would say to get the 6.8 marked upper from rick, and the upgraded charging handle also. BCMGunfighter.
16 inch *** barrel from rick is fine for your hunting requirements, threaded of course. That said, the 12.5 inch will do just fine. Recommend a set screw gas block over the pinch style/type.

That is an SBR of course. Get your own trust for Christmas.

The hand guard that is next on my list is the Gen2 SS-Series one piece free float from MI (Midwest Industries) in 12 inch length.

If you can get the *** superbolt, do so. If not, whatever.
what suppressor do you have access to? AAC on a 51 tooth or something else? Match the mount to your available option.

The optic you have is a little strong for hunting more than one animal at a time. (ps, please don't scan with a weapon)
Binoculars for daytime and NV or thermal for night.

I will send the tools up with Gilbert to Caldwell (about an hour from you) and you can shoot after it is built on his range.
We would expect 1" or less on the first box of good factory ammo. have a couple of gongs for you to test on.

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
ATI stocks are a good choice also.

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
We can talk triggers when you get ready for a new lower.

Vance Goodson

Hunting is my Drug!
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Your money, your choices.
I would say to get the 6.8 marked upper from rick, and the upgraded charging handle also. BCMGunfighter.
16 inch *** barrel from rick is fine for your hunting requirements, threaded of course. That said, the 12.5 inch will do just fine. Recommend a set screw gas block over the pinch style/type.

Will do, he seems to have excellent pricing compared to all the other places I looked and it's all in stock if I remember correctly. I will definitely go with the 16" to help with weight and maneuverability when stalking. 10/4 on the set screw block.

That is an SBR of course. Get your own trust for Christmas.

If I was more into SBR's and suppressors I would, to much time and hassle for something that is not a necessity to me.

The hand guard that is next on my list is the Gen2 SS-Series one piece free float from MI (Midwest Industries) in 12 inch length.

I've been eyeballing this one as well. It's a toss up between the MI and the YHM, I really like them both.

If you can get the *** superbolt, do so. If not, whatever.

I will more than likely get the superbolt and then an m16 carrier for the extra strength.

what suppressor do you have access to? AAC on a 51 tooth or something else? Match the mount to your available option.

I know it's an AAC suppressed as for model etc I am unsure, he is still waiting on all of his paperwork to clear. Should have everything back any day now.

The optic you have is a little strong for hunting more than one animal at a time. (ps, please don't scan with a weapon). Binoculars for daytime and NV or thermal for night.

I've been hunting with high magnification scopes my whole life, it's just a personal preference and I have never had problems engaging multiple targets of a large sounder at 50 yards and less. I know most people frown on it but it's what I'm used to.

I will send the tools up with Gilbert to Caldwell (about an hour from you) and you can shoot after it is built on his range.
We would expect 1" or less on the first box of good factory ammo. have a couple of gongs for you to test on.

Awesome, I have a very good family friend who lives in Caldwell on about 300 acres bordered by cornfields on 3 sides. we hunt hogs with dogs and have caught many hogs on his place off of 21 just outside of Caldwell. I plan on running Hornady 120gr SST's only. As I said this will be a hunting gun only and I have never had a bad experience with Hornady ammo and the SST's seem to be the 6.8 crowd favorite.

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Good choices Vance. Keep me informed when you get your parts in. A little gun building. A little BBQ and shooting. Don't get much better.

Vance Goodson

Hunting is my Drug!
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good choices Vance. Keep me informed when you get your parts in. A little gun building. A little BBQ and shooting. Don't get much better.

I sure will. I plan to start ordering it piece by piece and hopefully will have all of my parts over the next few paychecks. I will for sure keep you in the loop. Once I get everything in maybe we can plan a Saturday to get it all assembled and dialed in, eat a little bit and have a few beers and slide down the road to my buddies place for an evening/night of hog killing.

RevMS

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The hand guard that is next on my list is the Gen2 SS-Series one piece free float from MI (Midwest Industries) in 12 inch length....

If you have plans on running a suppressor on a 12.5" *** barrel cross this one off the list ... its actual length is closer to 12-1/2" ... the back of the suppressor will hit the rail. I had one on mine and ended up trading it for a 10" version. If I had it to do over I'd go with the ALG 12" which is a true 12".

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
he wants a 16 or 18" barrel

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
It makes a good truck gun. A buddy of mine has one and it shoots about 1 1/2 to 2 moa. He's still working on tying to find a load for it.

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter

Vance Goodson

Hunting is my Drug!
LoneStarBoars Supporter
And so it has begun!

I was scanning around on PSA.com this morning and they had stripped blemished upper receivers for $39.99 and upper parts kits for $29.99, I went ahead and got a mid length gas tube while I was at it. I couldn't resist. They were out of the gunfighter charging handles and lo pro gas blocks so that will have to wait till another day or I will get it from Rick. I decided the $95 for a stripped upper that has 6.8 engraved on it was over-rated, so I have already saved $55 over my original parts list.

Man its hard not to just drain my bank account and order everything at once!