Help me work out my nv game plan por favor

Taco

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Even after reading all of the excellent info from posters and vendors I'm still up in the air as to what I need next.

What I have : Zeus 640 so far it's great.

Needs: scanning ability off of my heavy ass rifle. I hunt alone 95% of the time. I'm hunting out of Utvs on places I know well. Ride the gravel roads and fence lines. Navigation I don't think is an issue. Stop, scan, shoot or stalk, then move. Depending on wind I'll have spots picked in advance.

Wants: i want to scan but also a clip on for the few times I have a guest or want thermal on a non dedicated nv rifle.

Budget: I guess $4-4.5k. Prefer if it's doable under $4k. Im ready to pay for something better than a flir32 but lower than the Zeus. That armasight web site confuses me. All the models and what not. Prometheus 336? Maybe? Is is huntable at 200 yards? I know the Zeus is.

I see myself mounting said clip on a dummy rifle. Which one? I'm not that drunk yet so that had better have made sense.

Last edited:

Taco

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Even after reading all of the excellent info from posters and vendors I'm still up in the air as to what I need next.

What I have : Zeus 640 so far it's great.

Night optics d300- want to throw it in a stock tank. It sucks.

Needs: scanning ability off of my heavy ass rifle. I hunt alone 95% of the time. I'm hunting out of Utvs on places I know well. Ride the gravel roads and fence lines. Navigation I don't think is an issue. Stop, scan, shoot or stalk, then move. Depending on wind I'll have spots picked in advance.

Wants: i want to scan but also a clip on for the few times I have a guest or want thermal on a non dedicated nv rifle.

Budget: I guess $4-4.5k. Prefer if it's doable under $4k. Im ready to pay for something better than a flir32 but lower than the Zeus. That armasight web site confuses me. All the models and what not. Prometheus 336? Maybe? Is is huntable at 200 yards? I know the Zeus is.

I see myself mounting said clip on a dummy rifle. Which one? I'm not that drunk yet so that had better have made sense.

Also, I've never used a pvs14. Can I see a momma cow teat at 80-100 yards with a pvs14? I could put an offset laser on a gun and go helmet pvs14 for a guest. My gut is telling me to stick with thermal, and yet my gut is based on 3 nights of experience. Thanks brothers.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Pvs-14 would be your best bet then after that a thermal monocular x320, q14, ect. You can mount the pvs14 behind a NV capable eotech for your guest to shoot. On a quarter or better full moon night you can see cows for several hundred yards. Fog, rain, no moon, thick trees you will need illuminator. Yes you can use an ir laser to shoot with also.

The pvs-14 is the workhorse of night hunting especially if you are moving arround.

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
You could buy a w1000 and have it mounted to your utv and hook it up to a monitor screen.
I'm gonna have my friend make me a custom removeable mount to go on top of my truck. It will have the ability to turn left and right while viewing it from a screen inside the truck.

Taco

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Ok lawman, but after you buy a pvs14, a quality helmet, shroud, mount, etc, and an it laser aren't you up in the range of a thermal scope or clip on?

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Ok lawman, but after you buy a pvs14, a quality helmet, shroud, mount, etc, and an it laser aren't you up in the range of a thermal scope or clip on?

Yes maybe so but you have a helmet mounted optic so you can drive and walk hands free. Not to mention you can use an Ir laser or put it behind a friends eotech to shoot. You vmcan get the air soft helmets and the used attachments on ebay pretty cheap if your looking to save money. I think night combat solutions has some nice pvs14's pretty cheap right now also. To me the pvs14 is the backbone of my whole setup that is how I navigate/move. If I could only have one NV devise it would be a pvs14.
I do not weapon mount mine anymore and use a thermal monocular to help me spot hidden targets but without the pvs-14 I would be confined to watchi by and scanning one location or using white light to move.

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Sounds cool! But hope you don't hit any branches by mistake!!!

Ya I've thought about that. I'd like him to make the mount so that I can unroll my window and put it on the drivers side door. And I want it with two different rods that the w1000 can go on. One for elevation to scan fields and sit over the roof of my truck. And the other will put the scope where the door, hood anddrivers side rear view mirror meet (like the vehicle mounted spot lights that LEO have that they can aim different directions) for when there are overhanging trees around.

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
May I suggest you look at a IR Defense IRHunter Mk II?

hdfireman

Blackstone Arms
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
TLM is correct in my opinion but it all depends on how you hunt. If you hunt stands them a thermal scope is the way to go. If you move around at all or stalk then a PVS-14 is a must. I still like shooting with thermal but the 14 can get you buy until the funds come available. Like TLM said, mount it behind an NV compatible EOTech or use an IR laser.

IRHunters have the newest cores and the best controls but the lens is to small in my opinion. The lens is what brings in the information. Small lenses are dial up connection where as the larger lens are fiber optics, if that makes sense.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
He already has a thermal scope he's looking for the next step guys.

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
not according to the wants and needs as listed.

a second thermal off the rifle that could be used as a clipon or as a guest sight.

the pvs14 is not a good choice to put on a rifle. it can be made to work for a while but will break.

he states that navigation is not an issue, if it was I would think the mobility issue should be addressed as stated.

just my thoughts

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
He says navigation is not an issue because he does not realize how many hogs he is driving past .

I shot hogs exclusively with a pvs and a 6.8 for years before I had thermal. If it's only going to be the limited times when he has friends out I think a pvs will fill many roles. Unless you are sitting still watching one feeder the pvs should be your first NV tool even then it keeps you from pointing your loaded rifle at everything.

Here is my list of hunting with NV in order of importance. The complete list is what I call the ideal package.

1 pvs-14
A) helmet, ir illuminator, laser

2 thermal scope

3 thermal monocular

I would purchase in that order.

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
GOOD PLAN

Delta4-3

LSB Member
Vendor
I would not get the Prometheus. It's not that it isn't a good optic....it just doesnt make since to me since you can get a Zeus and then have the ability to mount it on a weapon as well if you want (they are the same housing). I have to agree with the others that a PVS-14 would be the next logical step. If you wanted to stick to thermal, I'd get a small hand held for scanning that you could wear comfortably on a lanyard. Personally though, as much as I like thermal, I wouldn't want to go without a PVS-14 (or similar). I like driving and walking around with night vision too much. All I see when I try to look through my truck wind shield with a thermal is some stud checking me out with a very similar thermal to mine.

JPK

LSB Active Member
He says navigation is not an issue because he does not realize how many hogs he is driving past .

I shot hogs exclusively with a pvs and a 6.8 for years before I had thermal. If it's only going to be the limited times when he has friends out I think a pvs will fill many roles. Unless you are sitting still watching one feeder the pvs should be your first NV tool even then it keeps you from pointing your loaded rifle at everything.

Here is my list of hunting with NV in order of importance. The complete list is what I call the ideal package.

1 pvs-14
A) helmet, ir illuminator, laser

2 thermal scope

3 thermal monocular

I would purchase in that order.

I really thought and hoped that I could skip the PVS 14 setting up my night hunting program, but I listened to every experienced opinion and to a man the advice was start with the PVS 14.

Still hoping to skip the PVS 14, at least at first, I gave it great thought, and I'm the end came to the conclusion that the guys with experience were right. It just doesn't make sense to avoid the PVS 14, especially since it is the single most versatile NV or thermal option available.

On the other hand, you can stay well within your budget and meet most of your requirements with a Pulsar XD38. It is a 320 unit and a scope, but you could scan with it and then mount it on your guest's rifle, if the rifle is a bare AR.

Does anyone have a link or web address for Night Combat Solutions? I can't seem to find the correct site.

Thanks,

JPK

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
His Web sight is almost done right now it's all by phone or email.