Hello from South Georgia

SoGASlayer

I have been reading the threads for awhile and just decided to join because of all the useful info. We own a bunch of land that we tree farm and we lose a lot of pines every year due to the hogs. I hunt them day and night but can't seem to get ahead of them. I have a bunch of camera's out and when I think I have there feed times down they switch. For a couple of days they feed during the day and then they will feed during the night and then they will not feed at all for awhile. All the cameras have between 50 and 80 hogs feeding during the same time and I have not changed anything. Need some advise.

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Welcome! You know my lease is on Pine land managed by St Joe, they have routinely not target hogs as harmful to the trees. I have seen some damage but it is not wide spread and once the trees get up a little it does not seem they are damaged at all. Your soil is different and I can imagine you are seeing more like the Texas damage we see in pic due to rooting where acres of new little trees are torn up?

The idea I think in cases like this is to bait them to areas less able to be destroyed by them and trap or hunt at that time. Night vision is probably mandatory for you to utilize and multiple hunters roaming your land much like TLM and others do to ranchland in TX. I hope we can give you some good ideas on control. Frank

SoGASlayer

FrankT there is actually 3 people that hunt the 1,400 acres we have, with 2 of them being me and my 15 year old daughter. We manage the deer very strictly so my daughter loves to hog hunt with me. I have hunted day and night, i will give you an example the Saturday after Thanksgiving I put 50 pounds of corn out at 2 stands around 3pm came back from picking up my daughter an hour later and all the corn was gone. Put more corn out and it was not touched for 3 days.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yeah, it has always been difficult at best to pattern hogs, they have a mind of their own. Sometimes hog scents will help you keep them coming. If they are close by you can sometimes call them like Glenn Guess teaches on the forum, but nothing guarantees they show up.

How great is that your Daughter loves the sport and joins you! We have some tips and trick already posted, as your topic gets read many more will chime in to help and welcome you here. What calibers/guns are you using?

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
You will find a bunch of AR's here, 556, 6.8, .308 as well as weapons like yours. Do you use Night Vision? Suppression?

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Welcome to the forum! I used to hunt a large pine tree farm they planted several thousand acres of new trees and the hogs came in and snapped whole sections off at the base. One if the weirdest things I ever saw them do. We finally got them under control by trapping and hunting them relentlessly day and night. If you start hitting them on a regular basis and try to take out the lead sows you will make a huge dent. We don't hunt stands we constantly move circling the property by walking or driving all night. We do use bait though feeders, pig pipes, and spread corn.

Key is to kill as many as possible per encounter, starting with the lead sow if possible. This will leave to younger and dumber pigs to lead, providing easier kills! You will never kill them all but they do learn to avoid areas where they are killed.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
What kind of Night Vision are you using? Do you video your hunts?

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Welcome to the site. Wish I was closer, I would be more than happy to help you control the problem.:)

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Welcome, Texaslawman gave good advice. I hunt commercial pecan orhards and cattle pasture using these techniques. Despite me hunting every other weekend with nightvision, thermal imagers, and constantly prowling the place there are still lots of hogs.

If the landowner started trapping them too the herd would get smaller quicker, but Rhenish wouldn't have hogs.

Good luck!

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Are you in south western Ga. ?? You will never get them if you continue to chase them all over the property. All you are doing is educateing them as to YOUR techniques. IMO you need to make spots for them to come to/congregate.

You need to establish areas that are very carefully considered,that offer the hogs food,water, and some close by shelter. You need timed feeders and roll barrels. Put up some scent posts and frequently add more lure to them. As they are rubbed/scented you can back off on the store bought scent.

These areas need to be chosen for the "normal" wind direction,the sunrise and the moon rise. Carefully consider the distance from your dedicated shooting position to the bait/attractant. Consider the approach to the stand locations. (You don't wanna be shittin' where your fixing to eat.) Do this with consideration to the quality/type of your NVD.

As stated above,take the sows first. Even at night you can pretty much tell the dominant sow(s) by their movements with experience. When the dominant sow gets ready to come,they all come. When she gets ready to leave,they all leave. Go to the farm supply store and get a product called KERSO-D. It comes in a small'ish yellow can. It is black and oily feeling. It is designed to be used as a wipe to keep the biting flies from livestock. It smells exactly like creosote. Put about an ounce to a gallon of water and pour it on the rubbing posts. Use it ONLY on the rubbing posts. You do not want them to associate this smell with humans.

Remember...you gotta kill 70% of the hogs on your property every year JUST to maintain the heard at the present level. Get to it.....and.....good luck. --- pruhdlr