Hat Trick, Zombie, and Things Going WRONG

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
LOL, I shoot 3 hogs with 3 shots and it looks real good and then the 4th hog uses the rest of the magazine and it ruins the the averaging.

I am just glad I didn't have to make a knife charge.

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
well you did make a 45 charge!

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
LOL, I shoot 3 hogs with 3 shots and it looks real good and then the 4th hog uses the rest of the magazine and it ruins the the averaging.

I am just glad I didn't have to make a knife charge.
Brian, you do a great job of telling the hunting story. Not every hunt is a boring one shot one kill type thing, in the daylight, with no wind, under perfect conditions, at 1,087 yards.

You videos show the excitement of the hunt where not everything is scripted and recorded over multiple takes and redone to get perfect angles and such.

Keep doing what you are doing with the same expertise and enthusiasm you have shown in the past. I always go to a new Brian video with great anticipation.

Just don't beat yourself up over the small stuff and the little miscues that happen in the dark with guns and night vision and thermal and multiples video recorders.

THATS WHAT WE ARE HERE FOR!!!!!!

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
But when I do get that perfect one shot kill in daylight with no wind under perfect conditions at 1087 yards, the story will involve the mental calculations of making the shot, the ongoing internal debate as to whether or not the wind could be so pristine, some sort of discussion of the hog's behavior and what his plans might have been for the rest of the day under the glorious sun. There will be the discussion of feeling the recoil into my shoulder at the very moment the crosshairs settle several feet in the air above the hog's head (it will be a brain shot, LOL) because I am only zero'd at 100. Next will come the discussion of time dilation as the bullet soars to the target, its trajectory true, and it taking so very long over the 1265 yards that I was sure that I had missed until that faithful moment that the hog was impacted with such surgical precision that it fell over with nary a flinch, the brain stem severed and no dirty dancing afterwards. I will describe how I lay there, staring through the scope over such a long distance of 1342 yards that the heat shimmer made it hard to tell if the hog was getting up or not, as I waited for the pig to get back up, knowing that such a 1423 yard shot is virtually impossible, nearly all of the bullet's energy spent, but that through some freak of nature and random chance, I had made the shot. Of course, it will be a terribly hot summer day and I will note how the meat had managed to spoil by the time Angry Bird carried me on his shoulders the entire 1506 yards from the my firing position to the Sus Carpe'd. Then there would be the prolonged diatribe on how it was that I made such a perfect 1605 yard shot and didn't manage to have the video working at the time. The bullet would have been recovered, intact, and weighed.

Seriously, if the accounts are enjoyed or folks think there is something to be learned from them, I am happy to share them. I wish they were about great prowess and my amazing abilities to know what the hog is going to do before they even show up, but more often than not, what I describe is a lot of what is going on in my mind about what has struck me as standing out at the moments the events occur. A lot of this is "in the moment" sort of stuff that is soon forgotten, so I try to get it down ASAP after the hunt.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
good grief you are good! An entire story of an imaginary hunt and shot! LOL I this it all started w your dedication to the hunt, filming it, angry bird, the kids cookies and your enthusiasm to bring us to the hunt!

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Glad it held that many shells or did you have to dump half way thru?
The tactical brass catcher will hold 200 pieces of 5.56.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I got my caldwell in and mounted, seems like it will work, well made and sturdy, will try it at the range before taking in the field. I did have only one place to mount it on my 6.8 pistol due to my scope mounting and may not be able to use it when I get my ATN X sight on.

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
But when I do get that perfect one shot kill in daylight with no wind under perfect conditions at 1087 yards, the story will involve the mental calculations of making the shot, the ongoing internal debate as to whether or not the wind could be so pristine, some sort of discussion of the hog's behavior and what his plans might have been for the rest of the day under the glorious sun. There will be the discussion of feeling the recoil into my shoulder at the very moment the crosshairs settle several feet in the air above the hog's head (it will be a brain shot, LOL) because I am only zero'd at 100. Next will come the discussion of time dilation as the bullet soars to the target, its trajectory true, and it taking so very long over the 1265 yards that I was sure that I had missed until that faithful moment that the hog was impacted with such surgical precision that it fell over with nary a flinch, the brain stem severed and no dirty dancing afterwards. I will describe how I lay there, staring through the scope over such a long distance of 1342 yards that the heat shimmer made it hard to tell if the hog was getting up or not, as I waited for the pig to get back up, knowing that such a 1423 yard shot is virtually impossible, nearly all of the bullet's energy spent, but that through some freak of nature and random chance, I had made the shot. Of course, it will be a terribly hot summer day and I will note how the meat had managed to spoil by the time Angry Bird carried me on his shoulders the entire 1506 yards from the my firing position to the Sus Carpe'd. Then there would be the prolonged diatribe on how it was that I made such a perfect 1605 yard shot and didn't manage to have the video working at the time. The bullet would have been recovered, intact, and weighed.

Seriously, if the accounts are enjoyed or folks think there is something to be learned from them, I am happy to share them. I wish they were about great prowess and my amazing abilities to know what the hog is going to do before they even show up, but more often than not, what I describe is a lot of what is going on in my mind about what has struck me as standing out at the moments the events occur. A lot of this is "in the moment" sort of stuff that is soon forgotten, so I try to get it down ASAP after the hunt.

That's the best fish story I have heard in a long time. The size (distance) kept getting longer in the same telling. Didn't even have to wait a couple days for the re-telling for it to get better.

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
;)

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
Always well written stories Brian. Watching the video, most is the shots look low. What did you find,?

Ever submit stories for any magazines?

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yeah, I was dipping. The shots I could find that were not pistol shots were 1 to the jaw that appeared to have gone into the neck, 1 into the low chest from the front, one into the shoulder from the front, and one across the hump with entry and exit about 6" apart, so essentially a graze. He already had a bloody mouth before I shot him in the side of the check with the pistol.

Spent 2 mags working on offhand shooting yesterday (.223) out to 80 yards. Will continue regular sessions and see if things improve.

Then went to TBR to see if maybe coyotes were interested in the hogs. The stench was pretty good, but only saw one at over 200 yards. Didn't even see any deer.

Never attempted magazine writing. Used to do a lot of technical writing in my field, but that was really boring stuff unless you had a really specific interest in it. Thank you.

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Great story Brian! You had me laughing on the second one. I could not believe how tough Zombie was.

histopicker

St. George, Utah
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yeah, I was dipping. The shots I could find that were not pistol shots were 1 to the jaw that appeared to have gone into the neck, 1 into the low chest from the front, one into the shoulder from the front, and one across the hump with entry and exit about 6" apart, so essentially a graze. He already had a bloody mouth before I shot him in the side of the check with the pistol.

Spent 2 mags working on offhand shooting yesterday (.223) out to 80 yards. Will continue regular sessions and see if things improve.

Then went to TBR to see if maybe coyotes were interested in the hogs. The stench was pretty good, but only saw one at over 200 yards. Didn't even see any deer.

Never attempted magazine writing. Used to do a lot of technical writing in my field, but that was really boring stuff unless you had a really specific interest in it. Thank you.
You are a rock star in my eyes Dr. Shaffer!!!