Hat Trick, Zombie, and Things Going WRONG

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Sorry for all the text in the video. It was to make up for all the video I forgot to shoot...

I don't know what to say. Everything started off so good. I went by my place to put a few rounds down range to check zero and was stung several times by wasps that had nested in my shooting table.

I picked but my neighbor, Ken (Sir Hessian Scalper), and we headed to TBR for predators/hogs. We got into our stands and all was good. Saw a few deer, rabbits, bugs and it was all fairly boring.

Unbeknownst to me, Ken was hearing hogs in the large ravine that separated us. Being bored and realizing that the Pulsar thermal scope was picking up bugs, I thought I would video them as a novelty. As I was videoing the bugs (yeah, I was that bored), hogs magically appeared in my FOV and then started going away from me! There was one, two.....three and I was about to lose my shot. So I got in a hurry and got my rifle, but didn't turn on video.

By now, there were at least 8 hogs and they were all headed away and back toward to the tree line. I picked one of the last hogs, the biggest I could shoot and fired. I heard the hit and all hell broke loose with hogs going every direction. I expected all of them to go into the creek, but nope. Several ran toward me, some out into the field, and some disappeared, I guess, down into the creek.

As three came by I tried blasting at two and believe I hit one, but none of the three dropped. They continued full speed to the north of me and I changed windows to see if I could get a shot as they ran and saw all butts. Then one turned broadside and stopped. I put a round through the side of her head and she dropped.

One of the other two hogs apparently continued on around and by Ken's stand. Alerted to my firing, Ken was ready. The hog came flying by his stand and he swung through tracking it and was about to fire when he ran out of window and lost the shot. The rifle went "THUNK" into the window frame.

After dropping the sow, I checked the open field and spotted a lone boar that slowed down and stopped, apparently confused. Then he started to move and I put a round through his mid section that exited with about a 4+" exit gash. He went down. Not seeing anything else, I went back to the thermal and somewhat hidden by tree limbs, I saw a big boar standing still, apparently the first hog I shot. I got my rifle back up and remembered the video on the rifle and got it turned on, finally.

What followed was me firing a lot of rounds and scoring many (poor) hits. When I could not longer shoot from the stand, I went to the ground. My offhand shooting beyond 50 yards is not to be envied when I am under stress. The hog went down numerous times and got up numerous times. It was terrible. After you see the last shot in the video, my rifle was out of ammo and I had to go back up into the stand for my remaining Barney Fife round I had in my hunting vest. I chambered the round and went after the Zombie.

I found him, still breathing, and he GOT UP! I put a round into his side with the rifle and drew my .45 and put 4 more rounds of Federal HST into his torso and he dropped. I put a 5th round, finally placed well, into his brain.

All in all, once things got going, I had an 8 cylinder operation and 4 cylinder brain trying to run it. As noted in the video, Zombie hogs are created by poorly placed shots.

I am hugely thankful for the owner of TBR bringing out his tractor to haul off these hogs for us.

The sow came in at 130 lbs (all these were taped)
The boar came in at 200 lbs
The zombie came in at 230 lb.

I spent roughly $22 in ammo on this gig. Both hunters had a good time and nobody got hurt.

Angry Bird was ecstatic. Cookies will be had at lunch, apparently a double batch according to my wife.

100_1984reduced.JPG

Zombie Boar's tusks.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
LOL great story again Brian! But let me tell you all zombie pigs are not from poorly placed shots wait until one gets up after a perfect shot or a ear hole shot!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
An exciting hunt Brian and another great story. Would have given $100 to see you tag that last rifle and 5 45 rds into the zombie hog! Really nice cutters on the zombie, how many rds actually hi him and # of holes??? This dis teach me to carry the spare mag in my pocket and not in my pack!

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
You can see where I hit this guy twice in the head, only one shot is from the pistol. The other was a jaw shot that had to have been when he was facing toward me as the round didn't go through the bone, but apparently into the neck. Headshots are great if they hit or disrupt CNS. This one did neither.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Tough boar, what rd were you using?

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
oh it was the Creedmore? LOL That was alot of ammo downrange, you have a brass catcher?

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
You mean, do I have a full brass catcher? Why YES, yes I do. TLM talked about how well his Tactical Brass Recovery brass catcher worked and I cashed in a savings bond and all my green stamps to get one. It catches brass better than your best mouser cat catches mice. I would say that it is the Cadillac of brass catchers, but GM doesn't have a good reputation right now. :)

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I just bought the caldwell rail mount to try, could not afford the one you got...I bet it was full! Slammin' hogs, angry bird and the kids happy, an empty mag and hogs on the grounds, what is not to like?

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That would be funny if it wasn't so true!

Seriously, I think this is my 4th brass catcher from over the years. The others have been terrible by comparison. It is really pricey, but it really works really well.

Last edited:

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Glad it held that many shells or did you have to dump half way thru?

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Another nice and entertaining write-up. You really had that Zombie dancing.

dwa

LSB Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Fine boar. I hate those like that. They go to hell in a hand basket. At least you finished him off. I think they get the adrenaline pumping and can't be stopped. I will say that your videos and stories are 10 times better than mine. I gotta step my game up

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Landowner found #4 this morning.

Photo137.jpg

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
well that brings the kill ratio and number of rounds expended look a little better!