Grendel/Zeus Boar Down

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Hunted TBR again. Not much happened except for watching deer. Packed up and headed out and came across another hog at the last feeder on the other side of the dam that I walk by each direction when I hunt TBR.

I got set up on the Primos tripod Trigger Sticks as a monopod and realized I had too much adrenaline and had to reset with the legs splayed. It really helped with steadying the shot. In all, I waited for about 3 minutes for the hog to raise its head up to where I could get a shot, but it kept its head down, snarfing up all the corn.

As it was quite breezy and the winds tend to swirl where I was, I went ahead and took the shot over the crest/edge of the dam, dropping the boar in place, DRT.

ZenArchery

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Slayin 'em. What were those spots in the back of the deer?!

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
Sweet, that walking out had been pretty successful. How far off a walk is it to get back to the truck?

Shooter

Bedford, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
and that music is something else. Reminds me of the music in the movie DELIVERANCE,

Good video and nice shot!! What was the distance for the shot?

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice Brian, good shot on that one, as you were walking up to him it looked daylight!

Vance Goodson

Hunting is my Drug!
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Slayin 'em. What were those spots in the back of the deer?!
This is just my assumption, but since the deer was turned around licking himself, I'm guessing those lighter spots are from the saliva cooling off giving it the appearance of not being as hot as the deers body.

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
and that music is something else. Reminds me of the music in the movie DELIVERANCE,

Good video and nice shot!! What was the distance for the shot?

It's in the video lol, think it was 55 yards

ZenArchery

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
This is just my assumption, but since the deer was turned around licking himself, I'm guessing those lighter spots are from the saliva cooling off giving it the appearance of not being as hot as the deers body.

Sweet. What's the closest monocular Zeus sells that matches your scope? I can have a lot of fun with that thing.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Thanks guys! The white spots were like Vance noted, where the deer was licking himself. I just didn't get the MDVR on soon enough to catch more of it. I thought it was pretty cool (no pun intended), however.

Dave, there are 3 stands at TBR, but I almost always hunt the same one. It is right at 600 yards from where I park and the middle of the dam where I have caught a couple of these hogs while on the way out is a little less than half way back.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Have you ever driven into the stand area and parked close then hunted successfully?

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
Have you ever driven into the stand area and parked close then hunted successfully?

Frank, sometimes I park right at stands because of my legs, if the wind is right, doesn't matter. But the more scent you put in the air and with any swirling winds, the greater chance of being detected. And of course I've had pigs walk right by my stand on the upwind side, with a vehicle there that they can see, would probably spook them.

Last week, I had hogs walk right on top if my atv tracks, then walk right on top of my tracks, until they got 10 yards from my blind and spooked because they were downwind. Scared the crap out of me lol.

Now daylight is a different story as the hogs can see the vehicles.

Last edited:

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Once in a while, I have been taken out to the stand Mr. TBR's golf cart and dropped off and managed to get a hog one of those times. Walking is quieter. There is no way I would have gotten close to the hogs on the dam had I been in a vehicle. It is fairly quiet, but still a lot more noisy that nature.

Sort of as Dave mentioned, from the stand, I don't think it would matter too much once there for a while and especially if I did it regularly. The only problem is that the cart isn't mine to use freely, though I get to use it to haul out the hogs.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Thanks guys... I have a stand sorta in the middle of my hunting grounds, I can park right next to it so the truck is concealed all 4 directions, sure makes it convenient. 75 to 200yd shots or see and walk to another feeder 250yds away. They are used to my truck servicing the feeders and when I park there I usually spray hog scent or have fresh smelly bait out, or an open container of corn in the bed. Just curious what ya'll were doing.

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I spray sow in heat on SteveR and BRD and let them walk around. I don't tell them I do this so mums the word.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
too funny, I have used it as a cover scent when walking to my stand on the bottom of my boots and sprayed it out the windows of the stand...never had a hog come to it.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
When it gets to be winter time, I am going to rub my coveralls over the first stinky boar I kill. If scent covers work, then stinky boar should work great. Until then, I am going to worry about playing the wind.

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
great job

love the production work